PDA

View Full Version : The small grocery carts at TJs are genius...

arivecchi
04-01-2010, 10:31 AM
So, went to TJs yesterday with DS1 after work to pick up some flowers since they are so cheap there. Since the store was not crowded and we were only getting a handful of things, DS1 was pushing one of the small carts. He had such a fun time and I was so happy watching him have so much fun and feeling like a big boy for "shopping by himself". LOL! How cute! :rotflmao:

JTsMom
04-01-2010, 10:42 AM
DS loves them too. He calls TJ's "the red store" b/c of the carts. :)

JustMe
04-01-2010, 10:47 AM
Unfortunately, my TJs has had 2 whole sets of the little carts stolen...and no longer has them...yes, especially when dd was younger, it wasnt only shopping but a great free kids' activity!

arivecchi
04-01-2010, 11:11 AM
Unfortunately, my TJs has had 2 whole sets of the little carts stolen...and no longer has them...yes, especially when dd was younger, it wasnt only shopping but a great free kids' activity! Seriously? What the heck! Where they in the parking lot?

caleymama
04-01-2010, 11:24 AM
Our little, local A&P has them too and my girls LOVE them.

alexsmommy
04-01-2010, 11:36 AM
Tee-hee-hee.
I hear a slow love affair with TJ's starting...

...and yes, I've heard several managers say the little carts get stolen frequently. Sad.

arivecchi
04-01-2010, 11:38 AM
LOL! Yes, It has quickly become DS1's fave due to the carts and the balloons. Last night he told me the store was beautiful. :hysterical:

elektra
04-01-2010, 11:44 AM
DD loves those too. Dh always lets her push one. Our store also does a thing where they hide a stuffed animal turtle named Toby. (I think it's the turtle from Finding Nemo.) DD often finds it before I do!

mommylamb
04-01-2010, 11:52 AM
I'm jealous. Our TJs doesn't have little carts. DS loves the balloons though. The problem with them is that we have to keep them away from one of our cats, who is clearly suicidal because she tries to eat balloon strings.

michellerw
04-01-2010, 11:53 AM
Our TJs is small and doesn't have them, but our (also small) WF does.

crl
04-01-2010, 11:54 AM
Ok, I'll be the grinch. I hate those. I never trusted DS with one. And I've been rammed with one while the caregiver watched and said nothing at all to the child. Ouch.

Catherine

AnnieW625
04-01-2010, 12:04 PM
I don't care for them either. Our store doesn't have them because it's busy ALL of the TIME (it'd be busy 24/7 if it was open then), but I have been to plenty of stores that have them and they are just a nuisance. I don't think I could trust my 4 yr. old with one yet. Maybe in another year or two, but yeah still not my cup of tea.

arivecchi
04-01-2010, 12:12 PM
The problem with them is that we have to keep them away from one of our cats, who is clearly suicidal because she tries to eat balloon strings.:rotflmao:

arivecchi
04-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Ds is only 3 and he handled his cart like a champ. :D I was watching though and the store was pretty empty.

egoldber
04-01-2010, 12:20 PM
Our store also does a thing where they hide a stuffed animal turtle named Toby

Ours has a stuffed cow called Mr. Mooyagi.

Globetrotter
04-01-2010, 12:37 PM
I'm so glad our propaganda worked :ROTFLMAO:

Our TJs doesn't have the carts, but they have this gorilla they call Curious Joe. If your kid finds him, they can get a snack :) That keeps them occupied!

trentsmom
04-01-2010, 01:08 PM
I'm jealous. Our TJs doesn't have little carts. DS loves the balloons though. The problem with them is that we have to keep them away from one of our cats, who is clearly suicidal because she tries to eat balloon strings.

Our cat does the same thing. It does make the cat puke more colorful, though!

vludmilla
04-01-2010, 01:50 PM
We just got the little carts a few months ago and DD loves it. I was nervous about her ramming into people but I was super careful the first few times and now she seems to have the hang of it. She just beams as she "helps" me do the shopping.

Glad you've come around on TJ's...that store is awesome!

mommylamb
04-01-2010, 01:54 PM
Our cat does the same thing. It does make the cat puke more colorful, though!

eww... what the heck is with these animals??

Yesterday I was upstairs putting on sweats after work and I hear DS yell to DH "Audrey (the cat in question) is spitting!" Well it turns out she was puking on our coffee table.

egoldber
04-01-2010, 01:58 PM
Just an FYI, I know more than one cat (and dog) that has needed surgery to remove balloon strings from their intestines....

rlu
04-01-2010, 02:06 PM
Petco has them too. We don't go there as often now, but when we had the dogs DS was little, but we watched him carefully with the cart and he never ran into anyone.

Melaine
04-01-2010, 02:12 PM
Our Food Lion has them. The girls love them. Kind of stressful, but they have a lot of fun. Not where we do the bulk of our shopping, but nice to pick up a few items in the mornings when it is slow.

essnce629
04-01-2010, 02:59 PM
My TJ's doesn't have the little carts, but they do have balloons and they have a toy parrot for the kids to find and get a prize. When we first moved here they didn't have the parrot and I asked them about it and told them that other TJ's stores usually have some kind of animal for the kids to find-- a few weeks later the parrot arrived! I LOVE TJ's and WF's too. ALL the employees are always so helpful, asking me if I need any help out to the car, going in the back to check for items I can't find, checking inventory to see if something has been discontinued, etc. That's one of the main reasons I go back every week. Once it was pouring rain when I was at WF's and I had DS2 who was about 6 months old in his infant seat in the main part of the cart. A WF's employee volunteered to use their GIANT umbrella to cover DS and the cart and my groceries and walk us out the car. How awesome is that! She helped out while I loaded everything in the car and we all stayed dry.

WatchingThemGrow
04-01-2010, 03:15 PM
I still laugh about the poster who replied to a grumpy old lady when her DC were pushing the little carts like kids do..."WHO DO YOU THINK THEY ARE FOR??? MIDGETS??" :hysterical:

What are you thinking of the fresh snack food/coffee/wine served at the back of the store?

clb
04-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Once it was pouring rain when I was at WF's and I had DS2 who was about 6 months old in his infant seat in the main part of the cart. A WF's employee volunteered to use their GIANT umbrella to cover DS and the cart and my groceries and walk us out the car. How awesome is that! She helped out while I loaded everything in the car and we all stayed dry.

Yes! Another reason to love TJ's. An employee helped me to my car this week during a downpour.

ewpmsw
04-01-2010, 05:09 PM
I think the carts are a great idea as long as the kids' parents are paying attention. Our Kroger has had them for several years. I'm more patient about loose kids in the busy store now that we're parents, but still grumble when one or two are smashing into one another or their parents' cart, or blocking an aisle and unattended.

mommylamb
04-01-2010, 06:26 PM
Just an FYI, I know more than one cat (and dog) that has needed surgery to remove balloon strings from their intestines....

Oh, I know. She only actually got to it once and fortunately she was fine. We actively have to keep them away from her though. When she puked yesterday (as she often does) it was a fur ball. She's the fur ball queen.

neeleymartin
04-01-2010, 08:30 PM
Our TJs is small and doesn't have them, but our (also small) WF does.

you should ask. our tj's is tiny. it has the carts. i didn't notice them until a recent trip there with observant dh. he spotted them tucked away in a corner at the entrance.

you should ask. you never know. hth.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
04-01-2010, 08:35 PM
I still laugh about the poster who replied to a grumpy old lady when her DC were pushing the little carts like kids do..."WHO DO YOU THINK THEY ARE FOR??? MIDGETS??" :hysterical:

What are you thinking of the fresh snack food/coffee/wine served at the back of the store?

That would be me.... :)

SnuggleBuggles
04-01-2010, 09:07 PM
I'm keeping ds2 away from knowing about those carts b/c I used to spend the whole time with ds1 keeping him from ramming people or being stuck pushing the darned cart about halfway through the trip.

I told a friend's 3yo about the hidden animal and was worried it was cause grief. I talked to her recently and she said that b/c of it her dd loves shopping there when before she didn't. Yay! Evidently she finds it almost every time. (Me? I never find it!)

Beth

arivecchi
04-01-2010, 10:12 PM

What are you thinking of the fresh snack food/coffee/wine served at the back of the store? That is hilarious! Don't know if the question was addressed to me but I have not tried the stuff served there yet.

arivecchi
04-01-2010, 10:13 PM
That would be me.... :)
You go girl! :bighand:

kijip
04-01-2010, 11:40 PM
T would get overly excited by these when he was small enough for them. Then he would speed around like a mad man, putting everything into his small cart. There were a few times I opted to go out of my way to go to a store without them, LOL.

Hopefully F will be more sane with them. They have them at the co-op we sometimes go to.