PDA

View Full Version : Is this stroller overload?

radmom
04-01-2010, 01:26 PM
I am due on May 1st. My husband and I tried out lots of strollers and decided on the Uppababy Vista for various reasons (height, ability to face parents, bassinet feature, large basket, large sunshade, etc). We purchased one for ourselves.

My family got us a BOB Revolution, which I had registered for because it seemed versatile and rugged.

Is it overkill to have both of these? We live in the suburbs and will be using strollers for walks in our very hilly neighborhood (some VERY steep hills) as well as for shopping, etc. The stroller(s) will be going in and out of the car/truck.

Once upon a time I was a runner and may try to take it up again after the baby is here. Right now, I can't even imagine it with this late pregnancy lower back pain, lol. I will definitely be doing a lot of walking though.

We also will take the baby on some beach and mountain excursions.

I like both of these strollers, but I don't want to have both if we only end up using one.

What are your thoughts?

arivecchi
04-01-2010, 01:53 PM
The Bob will actually be much better for any off-roading, however, the Vista will be nicer for indoors and because you will see the baby. Why not keep both for now and then decide whether you want to sell one based on your use once your DC is here? They are both great strollers so you should be able to re-sell them quickly. I would sell one after you determine which one you like better and then get an umbrella stroller for the car and travel.

ETA: Around here, most people recommend that you not jog with baby until they are 12 months old.

Jelly Bean
04-01-2010, 01:59 PM
It is a bit overkill to have both unless you'll be using them for completely different reasons - like using the BOB only for jogging or on rougher paths/trails/camping. However keep in mind that you can't jog with a baby until they're 8-12 months.

On another note, I love love love my Vista, especially for younger babies. Love the bassinet, love that DD can face me, love the huge basket, smooth ride, etc. The other great thing about the Vista is you can use the frame as a snap and go with a car seat adapter if you don't want to get a separate snap and go. My best friend never even bought a snap and go (I got one at my shower, so I kept it). She kept the Vista and the adapter in her car. For a quick errand she would snap in the carseat, and for longer walks, she would put her DD directly into the bassinet or seat. Having one stroller in her car with all those options is GREAT! I have another friend who got the BOB with the car seat adapter and HATED taking it in and out of her car everyday. Literally hated it. She still uses it constantly in the neighborhood but it lives in her garage.

I bought a BJCE from a friend before my baby was born. I keep it in my garage - huge canopy, smooth ride, great quality stroller - but I hated using it for my small baby. I hated that I couldn't see her and felt like the stroller swallowed her up. I'll still keep it because I can see getting more use out of it when DD is older and I got such a great deal on it.

ebjw
04-01-2010, 02:27 PM
You're going to LOVE your Vista so much, the BOB probably won't get much use. I think you'd be fine doing all those things you mentioned with the Vista. It can handle anything!

WatchingThemGrow
04-01-2010, 02:48 PM
Maybe... (says the mom with 5 strollers) but is there something a little smaller than the Vista you may have had as #2 on your list? Some neighbors had a P3 and a Bob, and seemed to be happy with that combination. I have a Bug and just used that w/o ever getting a single jogger. We thought that if we ever wanted to jog that we'd use the Burley. Never have b/c we always have a reason not to jog (pg, baby under 12m) and we end up going to the gym some evenings and using the nursery there. I would say to return one of them and get a Triumph that you can use once the baby is 3m old. You can do a lot of babywearing until then or borrow/get something used to carry a carseat if you need to do that. Actually, the Bob adaptor would probably suffice for outdoor walks in the spring/summer, and it would give you the rear-facing ability you want.

PGTB
04-01-2010, 04:32 PM
I am due on May 1st. My husband and I tried out lots of strollers and decided on the Uppababy Vista for various reasons (height, ability to face parents, bassinet feature, large basket, large sunshade, etc). We purchased one for ourselves.

My family got us a BOB Revolution, which I had registered for because it seemed versatile and rugged.

Is it overkill to have both of these? We live in the suburbs and will be using strollers for walks in our very hilly neighborhood (some VERY steep hills) as well as for shopping, etc. The stroller(s) will be going in and out of the car/truck.

Once upon a time I was a runner and may try to take it up again after the baby is here. Right now, I can't even imagine it with this late pregnancy lower back pain, lol. I will definitely be doing a lot of walking though.

We also will take the baby on some beach and mountain excursions.

I like both of these strollers, but I don't want to have both if we only end up using one.

What are your thoughts?

Both of those aren't really the strollers I would use in and out of the car. I think you might want to get something more lightweight and easier to fold for that. Vista should be ok for occasional car trips, but I would find it cumbersome as a car stroller and wouldn't want to take it in and out of my trunk and folding and unfolding it on daily basis. I don't know if Bob is any easier, reading what PP said, it's probably more of a pain and heavier.

Which one to return depends on your preferences and the type of terrain you will be using it for. If you live near dirt trails and will need a stroller for unpaved surfaces, BOB should do a better job at this I would think. I never thought of vista being made for really rough terrain (uncovered paths) and wouldn't imagine it to be comfy for long walks, you would need some nice air tires and suspension for this that Vista doesn't have. As far as running is concerned you may or may not do this when the time comes, so I wouldn't make my decision based on what is better for jogging. My friend registered for a real jogging stroller, but she never ended up using it. If you will be using your stroller on paved surfaces I would definitely go with Vista, you can't beat its features and it's more versatile, besides the reversible seat is extremely important for some people, so if it's important to you then Vista should be your pick.

Basically, I would say if you have space in your garage to store them and you are not budget constrained to the point that you must sell one to make the ends meet, then keep them both and see which one you like better. Then sell the one you don't use. You will end up getting a lightweight stroller for the car anyway most likely. Most posters on the stroller forum would tell you that they eventually ended up with having to buy a lightweight stroller anyway.

Jelly Bean
04-01-2010, 04:50 PM
Both of those aren't really the strollers I would use in and out of the car. I think you might want to get something more lightweight and easier to fold for that. Vista should be ok for occasional car trips, but I would find it cumbersome as a car stroller and wouldn't want to take it in and out of my trunk and folding and unfolding it on daily basis. I don't know if Bob is any easier, reading what PP said, it's probably more of a pain and heavier.

Which one to return depends on your preferences and the type of terrain you will be using it for. If you live near dirt trails and will need a stroller for unpaved surfaces, BOB should do a better job at this I would think. I never thought of vista being made for really rough terrain (uncovered paths) and wouldn't imagine it to be comfy for long walks, you would need some nice air tires and suspension for this that Vista doesn't have. As far as running is concerned you may or may not do this when the time comes, so I wouldn't make my decision based on what is better for jogging. My friend registered for a real jogging stroller, but she never ended up using it. If you will be using your stroller on paved surfaces I would definitely go with Vista, you can't beat its features and it's more versatile, besides the reversible seat is extremely important for some people, so if it's important to you then Vista should be your pick.

Basically, I would say if you have space in your garage to store them and you are not budget constrained to the point that you must sell one to make the ends meet, then keep them both and see which one you like better. Then sell the one you don't use. You will end up getting a lightweight stroller for the car anyway most likely. Most posters on the stroller forum would tell you that they eventually ended up with having to buy a lightweight stroller anyway.

Completely agree...I have a Maclaren Quest that I use as my car/errand stroller, love it. Until then I used the Maclaren snap and go and carseat for that and Vista for any other outing.

salsah
04-01-2010, 05:05 PM
two strollers are no where near overload, you're just getting started.

in your case, i see the potential need for both. however the vista is not a suburban (in and out of the car) stroller. it is just too big for that. i think it is a great stroller, but better suited for a city dweller who walks everywhere and almost never needs to fold or lift it or fit it in a trunk. that isn't to say that it can't be done. some people don't have any problems with that. but like most people, i'm guessing that you will eventually want something lighter with a quick and easy fold for in and out of the car. the vista will be great for neighborhood walks. the bob will work for running and off-roading.

i would stick with the two for now. then when/if you find a need for a smaller, lighter car/travel stroller, you can get that one then (when you also have a better idea of your personal stroller needs/wants and don't need something newborn friendly).

and both the vista and the bob have excellent resale values so if you find that one/or both doesn't get much use, you can easily sell it to fund the purchase of your next stroller.

radmom
04-01-2010, 05:13 PM
Yikes, I'm definitely getting a bit concerned to hear that the Vista is not a good car stroller. I was planning to use the base with the infant seat as a makeshift "snap n go." I do have a second hand snap n go, but it's a little funky and beat up.

Ugh, ugh, ugh.

PGTB, you mention that Vista wouldn't be good for long walks. Do you mean long walks on rough terrain, or long walks on sidewalks/paved paths as well?

If this stroller isn't good for the car or for long walks, I'll have to second guess our purchase.

Jelly Bean
04-01-2010, 05:40 PM
Yikes, I'm definitely getting a bit concerned to hear that the Vista is not a good car stroller. I was planning to use the base with the infant seat as a makeshift "snap n go." I do have a second hand snap n go, but it's a little funky and beat up.

Ugh, ugh, ugh.

PGTB, you mention that Vista wouldn't be good for long walks. Do you mean long walks on rough terrain, or long walks on sidewalks/paved paths as well?

If this stroller isn't good for the car or for long walks, I'll have to second guess our purchase.

I wouldn't say that it's not a "good" car stroller. While it's not the lightest weight or the smallest fold, if I didn't have a snap and go, I would have definitely used the frame as a car stroller with my car seat. My best friend does that. You can always try it and see if you want a snap and go instead.

The Vista is great for long walks and lots of different terrains. I've used it outdoors for hours and hours at a time, across grass, gravel, paved paths, bumpy sidewalks, etc and think it's like pushing a knife through butter!

wellyes
04-01-2010, 05:51 PM
I'm sorry but I'd say yeah, overkill. Bob and Vista perform the same function: they're around-the-neighborhood strollers, a little too heavy and unwieldy for the car.

I had a Vista and a Snap-and-Go when DD was a newborn and I loved the Vista for neighborhood walks and the Snap-and-Go (mine funky and beatup too) for shopping and errands. It worked out really well. Within a year I had a Mac Quest which is a much much better car/travel stroller the Bob or Vista IMO. But I woulnd't want to only have the Mac since it's really an indoor stroller only.

My opinion - keep one or the other. (Personally I'd vote Bob if you plan to run & go on the beach, but it's a coin toss). You can re-buy the other one once you actually have the baby and see what your life will be like and what your needs are then, but for now, no need for both.

Good luck!

AnnieW625
04-01-2010, 05:57 PM

Ugh, ugh, ugh.

I respectfully disagree that the Vista isn't good for long walks. 98% of the time since we got the stroller just over a year ago it has been used for flat 2 to 3 mile walks. It has also done okay very well on trails, and softer sand (not great, but much better than our Triumph, and Dreamer Design jogger). Now of course I will tell you it is heavy because most of it's use has come with a 30+ toddler, but I haven't felt that it was hard to push until recently and I think that's because I am 30+ weeks pregnant. I can't wait to see how effortless it pushes with a 10lb infant!:)

I wouldn't say that it's not a "good" car stroller. While it's not the lightest weight or the smallest fold, if I didn't have a snap and go, I would have definitely used the frame as a car stroller with my car seat. My best friend does that. You can always try it and see if you want a snap and go instead.

The Vista is great for long walks and lots of different terrains. I've used it outdoors for hours and hours at a time, across grass, gravel, paved paths, bumpy sidewalks, etc and think it's like pushing a knife through butter!

We don't have a stroller frame (we bought the Vista when DD was 2 and I was expecting the baby we lost) besides the Vista and even though I also have a Maclaren stroller that fully reclines I can totally see myself keeping the frame in the car so I can use it while the baby is in the infant seat for quick trips in and out of the drs. office, and the store if needed.

Also I think that the Vista is much more managable at most malls than the Bob and it's quickly becoming a popular mall crawler stroller among moms in my area.

ETA: I will say that until DD was 2 we only had a jogger and a Maclaren Triumph. I would've been lost without my jogger even before I could actually run with her at 9 mos. or so. Now I will say that had I known about the Vista when DD was born or I had not balked at wanting to pay $800 for something like a Bugaboo that I could walk long distances with I might have actually been okay without having a jogger. I do love my jogger and am also getting a double Bob in a couple of weeks so I might sell my Vista (and my single jogger) but really if you like the Vista it is a very good all purpose and do everything stroller.

salsah
04-01-2010, 06:07 PM
I was planning to use the base with the infant seat as a makeshift "snap n go."

why would you do this? it if you have a vista, you have a rear facing seat with a full recline and a bassinet. put the baby directly into the stroller and leave the car seat in the car.

salsah
04-01-2010, 06:11 PM
I'm sorry but I'd say yeah, overkill. Bob and Vista perform the same function: they're around-the-neighborhood strollers, a little too heavy and unwieldy for the car.

even though they are both not car friendly (yet still doable in the car), i don't think that they perform the same function. the vista is perfect for neighborhood walks when you want the baby facing you or in the bassinet. the bob will work for walks too, but the baby can't face you and there isn't a bassinet option. however the bob will allow for the off-roading and running that the op described (while the vista will not).

salsah
04-01-2010, 06:12 PM
oh, one more thing to consider, unless bobs have changed recently, i don't think that bobs recline enough for a newborn.

wellyes
04-01-2010, 06:18 PM
even though they are both not car friendly (yet still doable in the car), i don't think that they perform the same function. the vista is perfect for neighborhood walks when you want the baby facing you or in the bassinet.

That's a good point. I guess my thinking is more- the bassinet is good for 3 months tops, and facing mama is good for about a year, give or take. So is the price of a Vista worth those benefits for a year?

If money isn't an object --- definitely keep both! I am not one to preach, I'm on stroller #.... let me think.... 6? 7? LOL. Just trying to help someone else avoid some of the pitfalls I went through. For example, the bassinet was a huge draw for me, but the baby HATED it from day 1. If I could turn back time, instead of going for more features / versatility, I'd go for simplicity (and saving a few hundred bucks).

radmom
04-01-2010, 06:54 PM
Thanks everyone. You all are great! I guess it's just too hard to know without knowing this baby!

Someone asked why I would use the frame with the infant seat ... (sorry, don't know how to do the fancy quote thingy)... I would sometimes use this if the baby was falling asleep in the seat or something like that.

I hope she likes the bassinet, but only time will tell. Both my grandmother and mother insist that I have a pram-type stroller because carriages were lifesavers for both of them with their babies, so I feel like Vista takes care of this.

I definitely think we'll keep the Vista (love the rear-facing option), and we'll probably keep the BOB too... it was a gift after all, and I just don't know what will work best for our family. I probably won't use the BOB until later, though I do have the infant seat attachment for it, so we'll see. And I can sell it later if I need to.

If only the Vista had a better cup holder option! Does anyone know if a different manufacturer makes a cup holder that works on the Vista?

Again, you ladies are great. I can't wait until I'm a bit more seasoned and can come give new moms advice too!

ebjw
04-01-2010, 07:02 PM
I have used nothing but the Vista for in and out of car, snap and go using the car seat adapter, and long walks on all kinds of terrain. In my opinion, it is PERFECT for all of those things!!!! Don't doubt how perfect it will be for you!

GraceH
04-01-2010, 10:27 PM

Ugh, ugh, ugh.

It sounds like you need a rugged/AT stroller (consider choosing the Vista OR Bob - if you're not doing brisk walking/jogging - maybe the Vista offers more options for your needs, but not sure...)

then, you need and in & out of car stroller
- I did this with a Graco Mosaic and still love mine for my suburban car - errand self,
- a larger budget would like the Peg Perego Si which has a bigger sunshade,
- still others do a snap&go followed by a Maclaren (which I don't like, b/c you have to choose which functionality you want with you - infant seat compatiblity or a stroller)

salsah
04-01-2010, 11:50 PM
Someone asked why I would use the frame with the infant seat ... (sorry, don't know how to do the fancy quote thingy)... I would sometimes use this if the baby was falling asleep in the seat or something like that.

it is better (for the baby's development) to put the baby directly into the stroller, avoid over use of the car seat. (unless you are making a real quick trip in extreme winter weather conditions, leave the car seat in the car, that's what it's for.)

sariana
04-02-2010, 01:39 AM
If you are not using the BOB indoors, and using it mostly for jogging, you should consider swapping the Revolution for a fixed front wheel model. The swivel is best for maneuvering. When jogging or running, you'll need to "lock" the wheel anyway, so why not just get a fixed wheel in the first place?

I say this since it sounds as though you will have another stroller for places where maneuvering is important.

I think the BOB is okay to use at 6 months, but as PPs have said, you are not supposed to run with it until 12 months. I have known people to do it, though, with an infant seat adapter.