PDA

View Full Version : Crock Pot Mac & Cheese

Melaine
04-01-2010, 02:20 PM
Does this work? I have to take Mac & Cheese to a potluck 2 hours away and I'm wondering if a crockpot recipe would do better as far as staying warm. Thanks for any tips or recipes!

DietCokeLover
04-01-2010, 02:46 PM
Yes, it works. Not sure if you remember when we lived there that we did the Discovery dinners at the church and I used to make crock pot mac and cheese for it quite a bit.

Do you need a recipe?

ETA: now I see you asked for a recipe. I'll get it for you and post later.

DietCokeLover
04-01-2010, 02:52 PM
2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni (an 8-ounce box isn't quite 2 cups)
4 tablespoons (1/2 stuck) butter, cut into pieces
2 1/2 cups (about 10 ounces) grated sharp Cheddar cheese
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup sour cream
1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed Cheddar cheese soup
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup whole milk
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Directions
Boil the macaroni in a 2 quart saucepan in plenty of water until tender, about 7 minutes. Drain. In a medium saucepan, mix butter and cheese. Stir until the cheese melts. In a slow cooker, combine cheese/butter mixture and add the eggs, sour cream, soup, salt, milk, mustard and pepper and stir well. Then add drained macaroni and stir again. Set the slow cooker on low setting and cook for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.

Melaine
04-01-2010, 03:18 PM
Thanks SO much. I'm glad to have an recipe I know works than finding a random one online.:bighand:

egoldber
04-02-2010, 09:15 AM
I've made mac and cheese ahead of time and then transferred it into a crockpot to keep it warm. That works well too.

SnuggleBuggles
04-02-2010, 09:17 AM
I've made mac and cheese ahead of time and then transferred it into a crockpot to keep it warm. That works well too.

That's what I was going to suggest too so you could make some mac and cheese with milk.

Beth

Melaine
04-02-2010, 08:40 PM
So, do you guys think it will stay hot/warm in the crock pot for a 2 hour drive? I just learned we will be outside so I won't be able to plug it in right away either.

DietCokeLover
04-03-2010, 12:02 AM
I would worry about it, but that's how I am. Could you do a cold pasta salad instead that you can keep on ice in a cooler while you travel?