PDA

View Full Version : If you *hate* working out......

L'sMommy
04-01-2010, 04:43 PM
how do you motivate yourself to get off the couch and do whatever it is you do to stay in shape? I haven't been to the gym since being 4 months pregnant. I've lost all of the baby weight but i was like 10 lbs heavier than I wanted when i got pregnant. I have NO motivation to work out and the only reason i used to do it when i was younger was because I had extra time to kill (hahaha - what I would give to have more time nowadays!) I get no joy out of cardio, but don't mind weight training. How do you guys stay motivated?

newg
04-01-2010, 08:36 PM
I joined an actual class.....it was a mommy/me fittness class with your stroller.....paid for two months session at a time......and because I paid, it motivated me to go because I didn't want to waste the money.

I also started going with another mommy friend, and because I knew she was meeting me there (we would pick days we could both go) I felt I "had" to go because then I would be letting her down.

bubbaray
04-01-2010, 08:47 PM
I started a Wellness program at my work (which really should be the subject of a BP thread). I am doing Jillian Michaels' 30 day shred at work 2x/week. It ROCKS.

We will be adding yoga classes 2x/week soon. AND, I am really trying to walk at lunch. Plus, I joined a yoga class at my gym.

wellyes
04-01-2010, 08:50 PM
To get started, I bribed myself. I purchased new iPod -- a Touch -- so that I could listen to audiobooks and NPR podcasts while on the treadmill.

To keep myself going, I use the "Don't Break the Chain" motivation technique (http://lifehacker.com/281626/jerry-seinfelds-productivity-secret) I made a new calendar on my Google Calendar called "Gym". It's bright yellow. After I go to the gym, I put a full-day appt on my google calendar saying what I did: swimming, cardio, lifting, etc. That way I can see a big yellow banner on every day I actually worked out. And when I'm on track I see that banner every day or almost every day in the month view format. It's a silly psychological trick but it works for me.

Gracemom
04-01-2010, 09:22 PM
I go to Curves. It's the only thing I have been consistent with. It is only 30 minutes (you can do longer if you want). I've met some great women there, one of whom is now my workout buddy. I'll go if we've made a "date" to work out!

SnuggleBuggles
04-01-2010, 09:51 PM
Ditto the classes. I eased back in with Zumba b/c it is so much fun and low impact. I remembered how much I loved working out! It's so hard when you fall off the wagon but a short few workouts later you get back in the routine of it and feel really good.

Beth

pinkmomagain
04-01-2010, 10:24 PM
I walk nearly everyday...outside...about 30 min. It's the only activity that I've been able to keep up for a long time. I can usually squeeze it in at some point during the day (prefer am). Something that helps me ensure that I do it, is I wear walking sneakers nearly everyday (I'm a SAHM) so that when I get the time to do it, I'm ready to go.

No, it's not a heavy duty work out, but it's better than nothing!

cvanbrunt
04-01-2010, 10:27 PM
I pay for a bunch of pilates classes and private sessions up front. If you don't show, you still pay. Also, I was at a party a few weeks ago and two men called me hot and hit on me in front of my husband. I must point out that they were drunk. Sadly, that is what keeps me at it more than the money. Nothing like a compliment to keep you vain!

g-mama
04-01-2010, 10:57 PM
Also, I was at a party a few weeks ago and two men called me hot and hit on me in front of my husband. I must point out that they were drunk. Sadly, that is what keeps me at it more than the money. Nothing like a compliment to keep you vain!

Shoot, that might do it for me, too!! :ROTFLMAO:

catroddick
04-01-2010, 11:25 PM
I work out first thing in the morning. Gym at 6:00am. I'm too sleepy to think my way out of it- just zombie drang myself in, and get it done!

sunnyside
04-02-2010, 01:29 AM
Well, I'm pregnant NOW, and working out way more than I did before. I am motivated by keeping healthy for my unborn baby and also because it stabilizes my mood.

Still with that the only way I can motivate is to go to a class of some kind 6 days a week. If I miss one, I try to do something else on Friday (my only OFF day). I have missed about one day a week that I don't make up, but that still keeps me at 5 days a week working out.

Having the classes to go to keeps me accountable, it's easier for me to work out in a class, and I love that I am making friends in my classes and getting to chat with other people.

My favorite is Aqua Fitness (only way I can get cardio because I get dizzy), but I also LOVE my prenatal yoga class.

After the baby is born, I plan to do Baby boot camp and Pilates as soon as I can after until the baby is 6 months, then I'm going to the gym where they have child care and I'll do classes there.

Classes are the only way I've been able to consistently exercise unless you count when I went to Circus school for 8 years, 5 days a week, and I was motivated by how ridiculously fun it was LOL.

shilo
04-02-2010, 03:49 AM
i'm a _social_ exerciser and a definite 'late bloomer' to fitness in general. for cardio in particular, i hate pretty much every minute of it. there is no 'endorphin high' kicking in here, let me tell you. making friends with several 'regulars' at my gym and being accountable to each other is the ONLY thing that keeps me going back when i start to lose my drive. ultimately, if i miss more than a day or two in my normal pattern, someone (or three) is calling, emailing or posting on my wall on FB asking after where i'm at. and i need that. somehow, when we're all in it together, it doesn't seem so bad. and the core and toning stuff never gets any easier either, but at least i can gab while i do it :P.

i started off with a class (spinning in my case), met some friends and over time we spin two days a week together and then various combinations of us are there pretty much every other day of the week for cardio/core/toning. it does take time tho to develop those kinds of friendships. i'd say the better half of my first year at my Y after sam was born was just going to spinning 3 days a week and making some of those friends and then it's branched off from there ever since. last sept. 22nd was my 4 year anniversary - the longest continuous period of regular exercise in my entire life (well modulo 20 weeks of modified bedrest/pp with max in 2008 when i wasn't doing squat).

good luck. you can do it!!!

egoldber
04-02-2010, 06:52 AM
One year for my birthday I "gave myself" some personal training sessions. Paying for those sessions and being acountable kept me motivated. Woring with the trainer also got me over my fear of the gym, the equipment and taught me new ways to work out that weren't as boring.

My older DD is in an after school running program and we now run together. They run a 5K every fall and spring. I am not much of a runner, but I having that twice yearly goal to "train" for keeps me in good enough shape that I am able to do that.

Persosally, I don't like group classes. My personal space is pretty big and I hate the feeling of being crowded. But many people love them and find them motivating.

Pennylane
04-02-2010, 07:15 AM
To get started, I bribed myself. I purchased new iPod -- a Touch -- so that I could listen to audiobooks and NPR podcasts while on the treadmill.

To keep myself going, I use the "Don't Break the Chain" motivation technique (http://lifehacker.com/281626/jerry-seinfelds-productivity-secret) I made a new calendar on my Google Calendar called "Gym". It's bright yellow. After I go to the gym, I put a full-day appt on my google calendar saying what I did: swimming, cardio, lifting, etc. That way I can see a big yellow banner on every day I actually worked out. And when I'm on track I see that banner every day or almost every day in the month view format. It's a silly psychological trick but it works for me.

Same here! I download entire seasons of Sex and The City and watch them when I work out. It really makes it painless!

Ann

infomama
04-02-2010, 08:55 AM
If you *hate* working out consider that you may have chosen the 'wrong' method for you. I worked out at a gym for years and years. I went through the motions, got strong and lean but I never felt the kind of well being that I feel after my yoga practice. I have given DH the OK to not renew my gym membership...I will forever practice yoga and I look forward to my classes with great anticipation.
Try other things, maybe the gym isn't your place.

mommylamb
04-02-2010, 09:09 AM
I can totally relate. I am not a work out kind of person at all. The only thing that motivated me was when my doctor told me my cholesterol was high. It's not like I'm really overweight either (ok, I could certainly stand to lose some, but I'm average size to even below average). But that made me sit up and listen. I'm still not great about it. I ride the bike at my gym at home (HOA gym) for half an hour 2-3 times a week and I do weights at the gym at work 2-3 times a week during my lunch break. This is when I'm being good. I was traveling all last week, so I didn't go at all... and that happens a lot.

kboyle
04-06-2010, 08:54 PM
i'm horrible at working out and get fitness ctr memberships and NEVER end up using them. in the past month and a half i've been going to a donation-based yoga class at this spiritual ctr in town...it's for 1.5hrs!!

i ♥ it, i look forward to going every week and have felt so much better since going. i go once a week since it's what my schedule allows. there is also a yoga studio pretty much across the street from this sprititual ctr and i hope to get a membership for there on my bday from hubby. i am naturally a petite gal, so my friends just hate that i exercise for fun, but it makes me feel better, boosts my mood and from yoga i feel i have more patience.

edurnemk
04-06-2010, 09:24 PM
I hate working out, too, especially cardio. I've done Pilates classes and Yoga, I need to comit to a class to keep doing it, and knowing that I have to pay even if I don't show up is good motivation. It has helped to sign up with a friend. I also do Yoga, and that I actually enjoy.

Pre-kids I'd work out after work, went straight from the office, because if I went home first I'd usually find an excuse to skip the class. Now I take the classes before the morning nap, if you make it part of your routine it's easier to be consistent.

motherofone
04-06-2010, 10:57 PM
I hired a trainer for a while and that helped me get to the gym. I also make sure to sign up for a few 10k runs during the year to make sure I don't get too lazy about running. Mentally, my motivation for exercising is the knowledge that it will help me avoid dementia and osteoporosis-conditions that have ruined my mother's life.

LexyLou
04-06-2010, 11:14 PM
Honestly, find a workout buddy.

I'm a gym rat and a runner and do workout on my own 90% of the time but there are two things I hate:

#1 going to the gym before 9am
#2 running longer than 10 miles by myself.

I hit snooze and miss every 6am spin class unless I can get my neighbor to go with me. If I know she's depending on me to pick her up, I force myself to get up.

Also, I've found a couple of woman who run the same pace as me, and try to meet once a week to do a long run. Having friends to talk to while running makes the time pass so much faster.

As others have mentioned, if you can afford a trainer TOTALLY get one. Like I mentioned, I'm a work out aholic but get myself a trainer a couple of times a year to re-motivate me and teach me new techniques and ways to vary my routine. That totally helps. Right now 24 Hour Fitness is offering 3 training sessions for $129 TOTAL. That's dirt cheap. If I wasn't training for a 1/2 marathon I would totally do it, but one battle at a time. :)

gatorsmom
04-06-2010, 11:20 PM
I work out a LOT in the summer. I have since Gator was born. I HATE gyms- HATE, HATE, HATE them. And I can always find things that I think need to be done more than my working out so to really keep motivated and make sure I don't get sidetracked:

1-i do something I like. I like walking withor without the stroller and biking outside

2- it's gotta be easy. The stroller is parked in the garage just ready for me to throw kids in it and go

3-I gotta have great music to listen to. Good aerobic music with a great beat, like the kind you could skip down the stree to, ykwim? Then I can go for hours.

SnuggleBuggles
04-07-2010, 08:44 AM
How is the new music working out, Lisa?

Beth