PDA

View Full Version : Tell me why you love your bank's online banking ...

Toba
04-01-2010, 05:00 PM
We had Commerce Bank forever. We rarely had any problems at all. We also very infrequently go to the bank ... usually only to deposit birthday checks or whatnot. Everything else is direct deposited. Commerce Bank squeezed out its owner and now they are merged with TD Bank. Within the last year or so (since it became TD Bank), we have had problems galore. We want to go with another bank, but don't know which one.

We live in Jersey, so there's a lot to choose from. We almost always use our debit cards as credit cards (I very rarely carry cash, DH always does). I don't know if this is normal in other states, but we never get charged an ATM fee because all the local convenience stores have ATM fee banking. That I definitely want to keep.

We chose Commerce because they had 7-day banking (which was unheard of around here), but now it's the norm in most banks. I am really most concerned with online banking because that's how we pay all our bills (the only ones we couldn't were the township sewer and water bill, but now DH has set it up where the bank mails a check (for free). We are constantly (well, mostly DH) on our bank's online banking site so that is definitely enough.

I know a lot of people like credit unions, but I don't know if we qualify.

jenmcadams
04-01-2010, 05:29 PM
If you qualify, USAA is amazing...from rebating ATM fees to great online bill pay to just generally great service. Our favorite feature is the Deposit at Home feature where you scan in your checks and deposit them from home...

To qualify for USAA either you or your spouse need to be military or a former dependent of someone in the military (e.g. my Dad was in the Air Force, but neither DH nor I have ever served and we still qualify).

wellyes
04-01-2010, 05:44 PM
Bankrate is a good source for info on online banking, especially finding interest-bearing checking accounts.

I have an online-only bank that has generated quite a bit of interest over the years. All transactions and info is online. To deposit checks, you mail them in. They send you pre-addressed envelopes, easy peasey. I've never tried to use the debit card -- we put everything on credit card for rewards (funds DD's 529).

We have a free savings account at a regional bank just to be able to get cash from the ATM without fees. I direct deposit a small portion of my paycheck to fund it. I like having a local bank in case I ever need to -- for example -- get a money order. But for the bulk of our income I'm all about online because it's so much easier to get interest income from banks with low overhead. Any income is good!!

KathyN115
04-01-2010, 05:52 PM
I use Sovereign, and use their online bill-pay. It is the only one I have used, but no problems. It is easy to use, and you can have them mail checks to individuals/companies for free as well. You can transfer $ between accounts, order checks, etc. So convenient!

jjordan
04-01-2010, 07:20 PM
I love USAA also. The ATM fee rebate is GREAT, as is everything else about them.