PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for a clean, affordable hotel for 5 days?

conniez
04-01-2010, 07:23 PM
I'm looking for a hotel that doesn't break the budget, but is relatively clean. We will be in LA for 3 days for DH's E3 convention and then we'll probably do D-Land for 2 days. The last time we went to DL we went with my parents, and my dad used his military discount at Holiday Inn (I think)? I really didn't like their bathrooms because I felt like I was in a public restroom. Not trying to be picky...but I'm a germaphobe & just really didn't like using those bathrooms.

SnuggleBuggles
04-01-2010, 07:33 PM
Don't know exactly what your budget is but I thought the Embassy Suites down the road (same road) as DL was really good for the money. Felt clean, rooms were very spacious and it had nice features.

Beth

conniez
04-01-2010, 07:41 PM
thanks for the suggestion! will check it out! I haven't worked out the dollar amounts, but this will likely be DD1's only Summer vacation trip so I would be willing to bend a little bit...not too much though, as we really need to be careful with DH still unemployed ;)

conniez
04-01-2010, 08:39 PM
Just checked out the rates for the week we'll be going (June 14 or 15 through the 20th) and it looks like the nicer non-Disney hotels (Hilton, Embassy) are around $145-160+. I think it's reasonable, but DH says he wants me to find something cheaper :rolleye0014: I think anything lower maybe end up being a 2 star hotel, but then again I don't travel much.

SnuggleBuggles
04-01-2010, 09:01 PM
I just stayed at a Fairfield Inn by Marriott. It wasn't there but as a chain I think that they are supposed to be pretty reliable with the basics and cleanliness. I was satisfied- it was actually a much better hotel experience than a swanky hotel I just stayed in in DC. My immediate and extended families swear by Hampton Inns too. Check TripAdvisor.com for really good reviews.

Beth

Tondi G
04-02-2010, 01:45 AM
check into the Howard Johnsons in Anaheim. They have a great pool area and the rooms are decent. Just ask for a room away from the 5 freeway.

Mousesavers always has discounts with the HoJo. Here is a bit from the March Newsletter!

Heading to Disneyland in California and looking for a quality hotel that won't bust your budget? Consider the Howard Johnson Hotel, located right up the street from the theme parks. I've been recommending this particular Howard Johnson for years and it receives consistent rave reviews from my readers. I have stayed there several times and have always found it a tremendous value.
There are views of the Matterhorn and the fireworks from certain top-floor rooms! Rooms are large, very clean and include a small refrigerator, coffeemaker, hairdryer, iron and ironing board and FREE high-speed Internet.
To see my full review of the Howard Johnson Hotel in the Anaheim Resort and learn how you can save on your room rate with exclusive MouseSavers discounts, visit http://www.mousesavers.com/hojo.htm
Buy a 3-Night, 5-Day Disneyland Resort Vacation Package, Get 2 More Nights FREE

If you don't like the HoJo Idea then check into the Doubletree that opened in the last few years! It seemed to get good reviews on Trip Advisor.

http://doubletree1.hilton.com/en_US/dt/hotel/SNADCDT-Doubletree-Guest-Suites-Anaheim-Resort-Convention-Center-California/index.do

conniez
04-02-2010, 02:35 AM
thx for the suggestions! ?didn't check the Fairfield yet, but I actually checked the HoJo before u posted (found out about it from an old thread)...and when I called they had ZERO vacancies for the time we were going June 14-20 =(

I will keep calling though & will read more on the Doubletree...looks nice from the pics!

TwinFoxes
04-02-2010, 07:03 AM
I just stayed at a Fairfield Inn by Marriott. It wasn't there but as a chain I think that they are supposed to be pretty reliable with the basics and cleanliness. I was satisfied- it was actually a much better hotel experience than a swanky hotel I just stayed in in DC. My immediate and extended families swear by Hampton Inns too. Check TripAdvisor.com for really good reviews.

Beth

I've stayed at the one in Anaheim. I wasn't a fan. Tiny rooms, thin walls, just not very comfortable. $8/day charge for parking (I believe). It was clean though...not gross or rundown. I actually stayed more than once. The first time was with DH, the second time was when I was covering the 50th anniversary (yeah, rough job!) and then I think DH and I stayed again because everything else was booked. We literally only slept spent 8 hours in the room. Oh, I also seem to remember that the curtains let in a lot of light.

Keep trying the HOJO, or ask to be put on a waiting list.

Tondi G
04-02-2010, 12:43 PM
My neighbor has stayed at the Sheraton Anaheim and said it was nice. There are 2 Sheraton's in Anaheim. I have stayed at the Park Sheraton (I think that was the name) and it was right next to the Hilton. It was decent but didn't have a fun pool area or anything. DH was there for a conference.

AnnieW625
04-02-2010, 12:51 PM
Just checked out the rates for the week we'll be going (June 14 or 15 through the 20th) and it looks like the nicer non-Disney hotels (Hilton, Embassy) are around $145-160+. I think it's reasonable, but DH says he wants me to find something cheaper :rolleye0014: I think anything lower maybe end up being a 2 star hotel, but then again I don't travel much.

You aren't going to be able to find any place much cheaper than that in the area. The Hilton is litterally across the street from Disneyland as is the Marriot. I would call and check and see what parking prices are though (at least at the Hilton and Marriott; the Embassy is farther away so you might not have to pay as much for parking there; honestly though it's probably still cheaper than Disney; unless you buy your tickets at AAA and then you get free parking:)). I would stay at the Embassy because it includes free breakfast and that would be worth it so you don't have to pay for breakfast at the park too. I wouldn't do a 2 Star in Anaheim, but then I am a hotel snob and if I am on vacation I want to be comfortable esp. with kids.

I will say that my brother has stayed at the Super 8 just north of the park and he's been happy with it, but he isn't married, and doesn't have kids and usually goes with a girlfriend so he's not picky. He's at DL from 8 am to 12 am (or whenever the park closes) so he just needs a bed.

I would also look at AAA or some other travel websites and see what kind of package you can put together.