PDA

View Full Version : BJCMD or Valco Twin Trimode?

JoyNChrist
04-01-2010, 10:59 PM
I was 99% sold on the Baby Jogger City Mini Double for the twins, but then I got to try a Valco Twin Trimode today at an LL meeting and wow, that's a nice stroller.

I know they're totally different, so it's not super easy to compare the two, but I was wondering if you could give me your thoughts.

Facts that might help: We'll be using a double SNG at first. DS will be 3.5 when the twins arrive so he's pretty much done with the stroller phase, but both strollers offer a hitchhiker/glider board option for DS. The stroller will mostly be used for walks to the park, shopping at the mall, and places like the zoo. We seem to grow tall, skinny kids. We're really hoping to get away with just one stroller for the twins (not counting the SNG)...I'm not a stroller collector and we don't use strollers enough to justify having many.

The Valco seems like a more full-featured option, and I'm wondering if it might be better for the long-run. But it's also 10 lbs heavier than the BJCMD, and I'm not sure about the fold. I also wonder if DS might be more comfortable in the Valco if I choose to wear one baby and let him ride occasionally.

jacksmoma
04-01-2010, 11:12 PM
i had a bjced and sold it for the bjcmd- the air tire ones just get sooo heavy to lug and are just big all around- the ride is smoother, but just too much for me. i love the bjcmd, all the same great features of the trimode (minus the wheels) and is only 26lbs!!!! For me, i'm just over air tire strollers right now, they are so huge and bulky. i am in love with my bjcm and my bjcmd! much more practical, they are so popular for a reason :) hth!

salsah
04-01-2010, 11:30 PM
that is a tough call. i think that for frequent in and out of the car usage, the bjcmd will be easier. the valco may be nicer but if the weight and fold are going to be problematic, you will not want to use it no matter how nice it is. the bjcmd is so easy and light that you won't dread getting it in and out of the car, even for just a quick trip. but that's just me, i'm lazy and always in a hurry. but for walks to the park and the zoo, the valco might be a better a choice.
do you have to decide now? can you wait to see how you do with snap n go? if walking to the park with the snap n go is fine, then the bjcmd will be more than fine. but if you find that your walks to the park or trips to the zoo are just too much for the snap n go, then you will know that you need air tires.

WatchingThemGrow
04-01-2010, 11:46 PM
Have you looked at the BJCED? I have that and the BJCMD, both of which have their merits. Haven't ever used a Valco, but the Elite seems to be similar.

TwinFoxes
04-02-2010, 12:02 AM
I had the same dilemma last year and went for the BJCMD. The reasons were the weight difference (tossing it into my trunk is easy with the BJCMD, 10 pounds+ would make it not as pleasant). You might want to check the real weight on Stroller Queen's site, often IRL weights are heavier.

Also, you can't beat the BJ fold.

AJP
04-02-2010, 08:29 AM
I have both of those strollers for my twins. We also used the double SnGo in the beginning. I had bought the Valco first and it is an amazing stroller. My plan was to use that in the beginning and then get a double umbrella later and keep the valco for outings, zoo, walks etc. Well, the Valco is heavy and while it pushes like a dream and I'm sure it is super comfy for my girls, I couldn't see myself using it every day and dragging it in & out of a suv multiple times in a day. It also has a bulkier fold than the BJ. I had a difficult time in stores b/c not many are roomy enough to be double stroller friendly. Needing to keep my sanity and get out daily are very important to me so when the girls were 2 months old I ordered the bjcmd. LOVE it too! It's light enough to lift with one hand and has that amazingly easy fold. I like having 2 options but if I had to choose one I'd choose Baby Jogger since it gets used more in our house. Anytime we're going to be doing anything "ourdoors" we use the valco.
Good luck!!! I really recommend playing with as many strollers as much as you can!

arivecchi
04-02-2010, 08:41 AM
I woud go for the Valco without question. Better quality stroller and much more headroom so will last longer. Amazing push and tons of storage. It can hold up to 4 kids with the HH and the toddler seat. My BF has 3 month old twins and a 4 year old and she loves her Valco. For the car, I would just have a double Maclaren. I have a single Valco and a BJCCD. While I love the BJCCD, the Valco is unquestionably our best and most durable stroller. BTW, the BJCMD does not have as much headroom as the BJCCD and the BJCED, so I would never get one for that reason.

diegosmom
04-02-2010, 09:29 AM
The BJCMD may appear to have a small amount of headroom but I think it is deceiving. I use ours with my 4 year old (who's fairly tall) and my 21 months old and have never had a problem. Air tires can be great on grass but the weight and bulky fold was an issue for me. I sold my BOB for that exact reason. It just didn't get used as much, I hated dragging it in and out of the car and I couldn't leave it in the car b/c it took up so much room.

As for the BJCMD, I never had a problem with it outside. We a few blocks from an outdoor shopping/eating area with parks and we use the BJ just fine and have never had a problem and my streets don't always have sidewalks and can be bumpy in spots.

WatchingThemGrow
04-02-2010, 10:29 AM
For the car, I would just have a double Maclaren.
But, the OP will have the same issue I do with the lightweight double - I need to be able to push two in the stroller while holding the hand of the older one while crossing the street, in parking lots, etc. You can't do that with the double Maclaren b/c of the multiple handles.

The mini double and the headroom issue won't be a problem for you b/c both your babies will be the same size, not where there would be a super-tall sibling trying to fit under the canopy (well, when your DS wants to catch a ride, maybe!)

Just FYI, it is easy to fit both of my double strollers in the Odyssey with all three carseats. Two RF Marathons in the middle row (extra seat out) then the big kid in the back row passenger side outboard. It's simple to reach in and buckle with the middle seats are moved together. Then, the split-folding backseat is a great place to stick the lightweight stroller while the one with air tires fits in the trunk well. If you happen to end up carrying both sometimes for preschool dropoff, etc.

BeachBum
04-02-2010, 10:59 AM
I also have twins and love my BJCMD. One thing that is different about twins is that you have to put them in a stroller EVERY TIME you get out of the car: picking something up at the Post Office, dropping your oldest off at pre-school, returning a library book etc etc. There is no just throwing baby on your hip....
The ease of fold and weight are so, so important.

JoyNChrist
04-02-2010, 11:25 AM
I also have twins and love my BJCMD. One thing that is different about twins is that you have to put them in a stroller EVERY TIME you get out of the car: picking something up at the Post Office, dropping your oldest off at pre-school, returning a library book etc etc. There is no just throwing baby on your hip....

This is true. I was just thinking about how we're gonna manage preK drop-off.

I think I'm gonna go with my original plan and get the BJCMD. I need to just go ahead and order it so I'll stop finding new options. ;)

Thanks for all the input!

salsah
04-02-2010, 11:44 AM
For the car, I would just have a double Maclaren.

isn't the double mac heavy? actually, aside from the weight, i think the bjcmd is a better choice, even for the car.

salsah
04-02-2010, 11:48 AM
This is true. I was just thinking about how we're gonna manage preK drop-off.

I think I'm gonna go with my original plan and get the BJCMD. I need to just go ahead and order it so I'll stop finding new options. ;)

Thanks for all the input!

i think that is a good choice. there isn't a doubt that you need it. the valco is just extra. maybe down the road you can justify getting the valco too for the outdoor stuff. (or you might find that you are perfectly happy with just the bjcmd.)

TwinFoxes
04-02-2010, 12:11 PM

:yeahthat: Even with the lighter weight and super easy fold I sometimes skip an errand because I can't bear the thought of getting the stroller out to just pop into a store. If it were heavier I imagine I'd be even less motivated!

I don't like the double Mac because you can't push it with one hand because of the handles. With the BJCMD I can open a door with one hand, and maneuver the stroller with the other. :)

WatchingThemGrow
04-02-2010, 02:36 PM
With the savings on the new house :) you should just plan on getting a lightweight double and a double with air tires. Get'em both! I mean, really, you will have your DC out and about on the property, right?

jacksmoma
04-02-2010, 03:54 PM
bjcmd rocks! sorry, just sayin'!!!!

JoyNChrist
04-02-2010, 06:04 PM
With the savings on the new house :) you should just plan on getting a lightweight double and a double with air tires. Get'em both! I mean, really, you will have your DC out and about on the property, right?

Hehe, I should explain it that way to my DH. I could justify a whole lot of baby purchases with that! ;)

arivecchi
04-03-2010, 11:30 AM
I agree with WTG that you will need both! I am anti-BJCMD because my tall 3 yo has never fit in one (we started looking for a double when he was 2.5 yo), but I guess with twins, you won't have that problem. You can always upgrade to a better stroller once your twins are too tall for the BJMCD!

Also, I have used a double Mac Triumph and have been able to steer it one handed. Not easy, but doable.

diegosmom
04-04-2010, 08:27 AM
The BJCMD is way easier to push with one hand. I had a Mac and returned it after one day. I thought it was a pain to fold. It's just my opinion.

twowhat?
04-04-2010, 10:14 AM
I have a BJCMD and BJCED for my twins. If your budget allows for just 1 stroller, without a doubt get the BJCMD. ITA with the PP who mentioned that twins always have to go in the stroller for even the tiniest errands - the air tire ones will make you curse each errand. I have, on occasion, run an errand with one baby on my back in a beco while holding the other baby in my arms (for stores where it's difficult to maneuver a double stroller - like going into the GAP to return something). Otherwise yes you need a double every time you get out by yourself and weight and ease of fold are important for that stroller that will get hauled in and out of your car every day. The BJCMD can be maneuvered with one hand, fully loaded with twins plus groceries filling every basket.