PDA

View Full Version : Disclosing Pregnancy

sectorQ
04-02-2010, 01:43 AM
I have been applying for new jobs recently. My wife is about 10 weeks pregnant. Should I disclose my wife's pregnancy to possible employers?

I'm afraid if I mention it, that it could hurt my chances to land a great job (sad really).

I'm aware that I may not be able to take FMLA since I would be in the new job less than a year by the time she's due (Oct 2010). I would be fine taking a week or two off with no pay. As long as I can keep my job. I just want to be there for my DW, DD, and new baby.

I guess a big factor is at what point I get hired.

elektra
04-02-2010, 01:47 AM
I would not mention it at all.
I also want to say that it's great that you are already thinking about taking time off with your wife and new baby. :) But seriously, there is no need to mention it, IMO.

sariana
04-02-2010, 01:50 AM
No, there is no reason to mention it.

While it is admirable that you want to take time off when the baby is born, if that does not work out, know that providing for your family is important too.

Congratulation to you and your DW, and positive thougths on your job search!

citymama
04-02-2010, 02:36 AM
I would not mention it! In any case, you're not expected to really break the news at work (even with an established employer) till the beginning of the second trimester (around 14 weeks at the earliest). So don't feel guilty about keeping a lid on it. Hope you get the job!

Isn't FMLA valid for the first year of your child's life? In that case, maybe your wife can front-end her leave and you can take FMLA leave once she is back at work (if she is returning to work) and you hit the one-year mark. In any case, hope it works out!

Fairy
04-02-2010, 02:43 AM
Not. Do *not* mention it. It's not their business. End of story.

wellyes
04-02-2010, 06:59 AM
Nope, no need. It's too early - you'd be well into the position before having to take any time off. And you're not really wanting much time off anyway. I think you can not disclose it with a completely clear conscious.

JBaxter
04-02-2010, 07:23 AM
I wouldnt mention it but depending on how leave time is structured you may not get a week off ( let a lone 2) I wouldnt even ask until your probationary period is over.

doberbrat
04-02-2010, 08:13 AM
I wouldnt even mention it if *you* were the pg person.

congrats and hope you get an awsome job

sunnyside
04-02-2010, 04:29 PM
I would DEFINITELY NOT mention it. To be honest, they wouldn't want you to. It's illegal to discriminate against you because of it and for that reason most employers would rather not know so that they can't be accused.

tiapam
04-03-2010, 01:22 AM
If getting the time off is really important to you, you might want to negotiate it along with salary, vacation, etc., *after* they have already offered you the job. You don't necessarily have to disclose the reason why you want time off then, but they will probably wonder.

sectorQ
04-04-2010, 02:15 PM
Not. Do *not* mention it. It's not their business. End of story.

Thanks! Simple and straight to the point. I like it :)

sectorQ
04-04-2010, 02:16 PM
I would DEFINITELY NOT mention it. To be honest, they wouldn't want you to. It's illegal to discriminate against you because of it and for that reason most employers would rather not know so that they can't be accused.

That's a great point.

sectorQ
04-04-2010, 02:17 PM
I wouldnt mention it but depending on how leave time is structured you may not get a week off ( let a lone 2) I wouldnt even ask until your probationary period is over.

I did think about that. Not mentioning it until well after the 90 days. Although I would probably have to keep them from meeting DW as long as I can since she'll be showing.

sectorQ
04-04-2010, 02:22 PM
Yeah, the thought of not being able to take time off to help my wife and not be there for the baby would be heart breaking. But it is what it is. Being able to provide for my family would be a great feeling.

Of course, once I'm home from work, I will make up for not having the time off. Heck, I'd pay for a family or close friend to help her for a couple of weeks if possible.

sectorQ
04-04-2010, 02:26 PM
If getting the time off is really important to you, you might want to negotiate it along with salary, vacation, etc., *after* they have already offered you the job. You don't necessarily have to disclose the reason why you want time off then, but they will probably wonder.
Good point. It wouldn't hurt to ask if I would be able to take some time off.

I wouldn't even take a sick day to make sure my attendance is 100% by the time the baby comes. That should help some at least. Right?

twowhat?
04-04-2010, 02:36 PM
No. No. No!!! Do not mention it!! When you get the job offer, you can negotiate for extra vacation time (I always negotiate for more vacation no matter what because it is usually easy for the company to agree to). Once your wife is in the 2nd trimester, you can disclose it and present to your boss a plan for taking time off. If you don't want to use vacation, you can offer to work several weekend days or something like that (depending on what works for your job). Just come up with a plan and present it professionally to the company. Also ask about PTO - some companies do allow some amount of PTO to dads for time off after baby is born. Good luck!

eta - even if your are still interviewing when your wife is in her second trimester, do NOT mention it!! Don't mention it no matter what during the interview process!!