PDA

View Full Version : Can you make ahead pasta and potato salad?

niccig
04-02-2010, 02:28 AM
We're having lunch with friends on Saturday and I agreed to bring pasta salad and potato salad. My friend said to just buy the salads. I don't want to because of DH's diet and cost. I need to make them on Friday night. How much can I make ahead? What needs to be done on the day?

The pasta salad was going to be penne pasta, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, pine nuts, sprinkling of shredded cheese and a balsamic vinagrette that I'll make.

The pasta salad is potatoes, and the dressing is 1/2 yoghurt and 1/2 sour cream with parsley in it.

Thanks.

egoldber
04-02-2010, 09:14 AM
The only thing I wouldn't do is add the tomatoes to the salad aheasd of time. I would chop them and keep them separate and mix in just before you go.

TamiRuns
04-02-2010, 01:01 PM
Totally agree with Beth. You could make everything ahead and keep tomatoes separate until the last minute. Most salads taste better the second day. I made my potato salad yesterday morning for a get together tonight.

niccig
04-02-2010, 04:28 PM
Oh, thanks. I was hoping that would be the answer.
Would it be OK to dress the pasta salad tonight, or do that last minute too???

egoldber
04-02-2010, 07:06 PM
I think it would be fine to dress it tonight. But I would reserve some dressing because a lot of it may absorb overnight.

niccig
04-02-2010, 10:52 PM
Thanks. Off to cook.

mskitty
04-02-2010, 11:11 PM
Oh, thanks. I was hoping that would be the answer.
Would it be OK to dress the pasta salad tonight, or do that last minute too???

I think it would be fine to dress it tonight. But I would reserve some dressing because a lot of it may absorb overnight.

Pasta and potato salads are so much better with time for the flavors to meld overnight. The pasta salad will absorb the dressing. You may want to hold a bit of it out like suggested.

mskitty

niccig
04-06-2010, 02:33 AM
The salads turned out great. DH was very appreciative that I went to the trouble for his diet. It really didn't take much time to make them, and I prefer to do that than drive to the store. I had all the ingredients too, so it didn't cost me anything extra.

clc053103
04-20-2010, 12:54 PM
I think store-bought potato salad has a funky taste- probably the preservative- so I would love to have a thoughtful guest like you bring home made salads! Nice job!