PDA

View Full Version : Adult Adoption in New Jersey ... anybody go through this?

Toba
04-02-2010, 09:37 PM
My stepfather wants to adopt me (I wish he did this when I was much younger, but supposedly my bio father's mother left me a huge trust fund and they didn't want to take away my birth right .... whatever, I could are less about any of his money). I am 39 and he's been my dad since I was 18 months old. We don't use step or half in my house. I have a few personal things that I've gone through with my parents while I was growing up (physical and emotional abuse) but they are COMPLETELY different now that we're all out of the house. I never felt like I belonged. My last name was different than my parents, my sisters and everybody else. Several life changing events have happened in the last few months to revisit this and I've decided I really want to do it. Has anyone else done this? I've called four agencies/attorneys and none of them got back to me. How hard is it? And most of all ... I wouldn't need my bio father's permission would I, since I'm an adult, right?

DrSally
04-02-2010, 11:15 PM
I've heard people adopting 18 year olds (I think). I wonder if you contact an adoption agency, maybe they can give you a referal for a lawyer who specializes in adoption. I wouldn't see a reason why you would need your father's permission, or even how this would change your trust fund.