PDA

View Full Version : Doing a pet swap, so we're getting a cat. Suggestions?

Cam&Clay
04-02-2010, 10:04 PM
Ever since my mom passed away in November, I've been considering doing a pet swap with my dad. We have a large, sweet, but overbearing golden retriever who desperately needs more attention than I can give him. He is alone daily from 7:30 to 5 and craves attention.

Meanwhile, my dad is stuck with my mom's cat. An anxious, yet beautiful creature whom I adore. Well, tomorrow, we are swapping pets. I really think the dog will get the attention he needs and my dad will get the companion he wants. Plus, there's something in me that just wants to take care of my mom's cat.

It's been ages since I've had a cat and I thought I'd ask for suggestions for food, litter, etc. Any thoughts?

vejemom
04-02-2010, 10:07 PM
Congrats! That's an awesome idea. I'm a little jealous. I love our dog, but it has been awhile since we've had a house cat. Our barn cat is welcome in the house, but refuses to come hang with us. :rotflmao:

My favorite cat product is crystal cat litter. No smell, easy to clean, not much tracking...

lalasmama
04-02-2010, 10:20 PM
:hug: Sorry about your mom. My mom passed 3 years ago. Several months after she passed, her husband didn't want her cat anymore. This cat was often referred to as my "little sister". When she was born, I had taken the runt of the little home with me, as the mama cat wasn't nursing it. When the runt died, I wanted the cat mom and papa kept, but mom (who was not a "cat person") insisted that she was going to keep the cat. When she and papa divorced, she said she wanted the cat, and papa was okay with that. Her new husband never bonded with the cat, so it didn't surprise me when I got the invitation to come get my "sister" after mom's passing.

Squeaker and I have a very love/hate relationship (see, just like she really is my sister!). She was very skittish when I brought her to my house, but calmed down after a few weeks. I have rearranged furniture for her, spent hours looking for her favorite wet food (eeww!), and even made her a plate for thanksgiving dinner.

Its been just under 3 years since she's joined our house, and I still love having her here. It is like a little love from mom, just in a furry little animal!

As far as practicality goes, bring everything home you can--and maybe see if you can bring home a blanket or towel that smells like mom and dad's house to help the transition!

BabyMine
04-02-2010, 10:35 PM
Congratulations on your new family member. I'm glad each of you are getting the pet that fits your lifestyles.

I feed our 4 cats Orijen. I order it through www.Heartypet.com (http://www.Heartypet.com) when they have 50%-75% off shipping. We use the cat genie for their litter box but it is probably overkill for a single cat.