PDA

View Full Version : reflux/heartburn antibiotic side-effect?

DrSally
04-02-2010, 11:37 PM
DD has a raging ear infection--fun, fun, how it peaked at 1am. Anyway, she's on amox. She's only been on it one other time when she was 6 months old. At that time, I got thrush (never had it in 3 years of nursing), that I'm sure was related.

This time, I noticed that she gets some reflux and then makes a sour face/cries. She doesn't have reflux otherwise. Has anyone else experienced this? It does say "throat irritation" on the list of possible side effects.

Melbel
04-03-2010, 12:20 AM
Given our history of resistant yeast issues (thrush, yeast diaper rash, etc.) and DD2's still severe reflux, I have long suspected a connection between the yeast and reflux. I recall seeing some conclusory research, but nothing detailed. Are you using probiotics? Do you have any other signs of yeast problems?

Andi98989
04-03-2010, 08:02 AM
A few years ago DH had to go on several different antibiotics. He has reflux issues and is on a daily medication for it. He was having major reflux and heartburn issues while on the antibiotics, even with his preventative medication. I know he was on 2 or 3 different ones; the only one I can remember is Cipro.

DrSally
04-03-2010, 11:40 AM
We're only on day 2 of the amox, so no yeasties yet, but I would not be at all surprised if one of us gets it in the 10 day course. About the timing of probiotics, if I give them when I give the amox, the amox will "kill" the probiotic bacteria, right? I give the amox 2x per day, when would be a good time to give the probiotic, at lunch? or more often?

legaleagle
04-03-2010, 05:21 PM
Do 3 doses of probiotic a day, at least an hour after an amox dose, and with a least a little food. Also make sure no juice or other super sweet things. Good luck, yeast is the worst.

DrSally
04-03-2010, 08:51 PM
Do 3 doses of probiotic a day, at least an hour after an amox dose, and with a least a little food. Also make sure no juice or other super sweet things. Good luck, yeast is the worst.

Thanks, I read the 3 dose suggestion on dr. Sear's website. My kid's don't drink juice, but I wondered if I should cut back on the fruit temporarily.

legaleagle
04-03-2010, 09:48 PM
Well, if she's as much of a fruit bat as my son, maybe a bit. I hope she's feeling much better soon!