PDA

View Full Version : Good (cheap) stroller to keep in the trunk?

Kaylee31
04-04-2010, 03:27 AM
I'll will soon be retiring the infant carseat, and therefore also my snugrider frame I keep in my car. I'm wondering what is a good umbrella type stroller to replace it with. Something with a small fold, basket, recline, and preferably under $150. I want something durable, but don't want to spend a lot, because it won't get a ton of use.

smcdonald2
04-04-2010, 12:59 PM
My SIL has the Keekaroo Karoo and loves it. It has the quality, style and features of a stroller twice its price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019VMYOY/ref=s9_simh_gw_p75_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=030CRJ06S477TXD37SW0&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Check out Keekaroo's photo album on Facebook to see lots of stroller pics.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?aid=70352&id=47545141485

DebbieJ
04-04-2010, 05:22 PM
How old is your baby? What will you use the stroller for?

Kaylee31
04-04-2010, 09:15 PM
My son is 9 months old, and I'll mostly use it for the mall, the library, maybe short walks when I travel to see people. I like to keep a stroller in the trunk at all times, for those just in case situations.

neeleymartin
04-04-2010, 09:42 PM
we had and loved a graco ipo. we used it up until ds2 was born. sold it cheap to a friend that uses it to visit family in canada(can bring on plane). small fold, cheap and reclines. we loved it and so does she.

http://www.albeebaby.com/graco-ipo-stroller-6c00pti-platinum.html

use the code "15OFF" to save an additional 15%. brings it under $70 with shipping.

Kaylee31
04-07-2010, 04:36 AM
What about the Chicco C6 or the BJ City Micro? Anyone have any feedback on those?

DebbieJ
04-07-2010, 11:29 AM
do you already have another stroller, or was the Snugrider all you had?

A Mac with recline would probably fit the bill for you--I don't know which models recline. They're lightweight and fold easily.

Do you want a bumper bar or tray for your son? What other features are you looking for?

arivecchi
04-07-2010, 11:33 AM
Maclaren Triumph. The perfect car stroller. Even better if you can find an 06 or 07 model with the swiveling canopy.

sweetsoul99
04-07-2010, 12:13 PM
If you want a really cheap stroller, I love my chicco c6. I got it at BRU with discounts and everything for about $50. It's not as easy to steer as the triumph, but I never really noticed that until I had baby #2 and needed an extra hand. The c6 also has larger wheels the thriumph, and a modest suspenion, giving it a smoother ride. It's also not as tippy as the mac's. Oh, and the only other con about the chicco that I can think of is you need 2 hands to get this stupid plastic clip on that locks it closed, but when it's in the trunk I just dont' bother.

satchnbucky
04-07-2010, 02:31 PM
Maclaren Triumph. The perfect car stroller. Even better if you can find an 06 or 07 model with the swiveling canopy.

:yeahthat: We have a 2009 one that doesn't have the swiveling canopy (I cannot understand why they eliminated that feature - ugh!), but got it for $85 on clearance at BRUS. There are deals to be found, especially now because the new colors are coming out. Check ebay and babies r us... (babyproductstore on ebay is thought to be the maclaren outlet - they tend to be fairly reasonable for new in box macs).

ETA - another option is the silver cross fizz - they have it on shnoop all the time for $70 shipped. People on the boards seem very happy with it, but I have no experience personally.

strollerqueen
04-07-2010, 03:26 PM
There's also a $100 G-Luxe on Gilt.com right now. I never had one so I don't much about it. Just know about the deal, lol!

christiedavid3
04-07-2010, 04:15 PM
Our Silver Cross Fizz is perfect as a car stroller.

smiles33
04-07-2010, 05:06 PM
Or consider buying a "nicer" brand used off Craigslist! I love CL for gently used baby gear that doesn't get used very long (e.g., jumperoo, swing, high chair, etc.).

Kaylee31
04-07-2010, 07:43 PM
My local Craigslist really has nothing. A lot of Evenflo, Graco types. No local stores carry any high end strollers, so I can only order online, sight unseen, or travel 2-3 hours to a larger city. I currently only have the snugrider and a pretty much useless Graco Quattro that I'll be taking to grandma's house. So I really want a AT stroller for outdoor use at parks and such, and a lightweight stroller for errands and travel. Does the G-lite recline? I couldn't find that in the description & reviews.

satchnbucky
04-07-2010, 08:09 PM
The g-luxe is on gilt right now and it does recline. It's comparable to a mac triumph I believe. I don't believe the g-lite reclines, I think it is more like a volo... There are a few macs also, but they're a bit more expensive - more like $200 with shipping, but they're the nicer models (ryders with suspension, better recline, legrests, etc).

GraceH
04-07-2010, 11:43 PM
we had and loved a graco ipo. we used it up until ds2 was born. sold it cheap to a friend that uses it to visit family in canada(can bring on plane). small fold, cheap and reclines. we loved it and so does she.

http://www.albeebaby.com/graco-ipo-stroller-6c00pti-platinum.html

use the code "15OFF" to save an additional 15%. brings it under $70 with shipping.

If you're looking at the Ipo and may have future children, I would consider the extra $10-$20 for the Graco Mosaic (http://www.amazon.com/Graco-Mosaic-Lightweight-Stroller-Mickey/dp/B002Q0YALW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1270698187&sr=8-1) (~$100), as its front bumper bar allows it to take a car seat (it's been our only stroller besides the bike trailer - love it as a budget choice!)

Kaylee31
04-08-2010, 06:47 PM
I pretty much narrowed it down to a Mac Triumph, Joovy Kooper, or the Keekaroo. After reading a lot of negative reviews of Buzzillions, I have some serious doubts about the Triumph. I love the look and color (Appletree) of the Kooper the best, but its heavier and some reviewers say its hard to push. Anyone have one?

Suzanne74
04-08-2010, 07:54 PM
Try your baby in the Kooper. I loved the stroller at BRU but the harness wasn't good enough for my 7 month old - still a little loose on the tightest setting. It seem like it would be a better fit for a child closer to 1 year old and up. I thought it handled well and I like the fold but you have to manually lock it yourself and I found that to be a little bit of a pain. The canopy and feel of the stroller was great though.

I know a lot of people here like the Triumph but I think it is overrated. The canopy stinks, there is barely a recline, no extrended foot area and it is very tippy. It may be better for older kids but I tried my 7 mo old in it and there is no way I would have her in there yet. Too uncomfortable for a little one. Her little feet dangled and there is no side padding. If my child was under 1 years old, I would upgrade to the Quest if I had to chose a Maclaren.

I have never seen nor tried a Keekaroo. They look really nice but there is no where for me to try one and I won't buy one site unseen.

What about the Zooper Twist? That looks really nice too.

satchnbucky
04-08-2010, 09:21 PM
I pretty much narrowed it down to a Mac Triumph, Joovy Kooper, or the Keekaroo. After reading a lot of negative reviews of Buzzillions, I have some serious doubts about the Triumph. I love the look and color (Appletree) of the Kooper the best, but its heavier and some reviewers say its hard to push. Anyone have one?

I don't know about the negative reviews, but we LOVE our Triumph! What were the negatives people reported? We have used it since DS was 8 mos old and he has seemed to be quite comfy - the recline is fine for him (pretty much the same as the quest) and he naps well in it. Just MHO. Every baby is different...

arivecchi
04-09-2010, 11:40 AM
I know a lot of people here like the Triumph but I think it is overrated. The canopy stinks, there is barely a recline, no extrended foot area and it is very tippy. It may be better for older kids but I tried my 7 mo old in it and there is no way I would have her in there yet. Too uncomfortable for a little one. Her little feet dangled and there is no side padding. If my child was under 1 years old, I would upgrade to the Quest if I had to chose a Maclaren. People here love it because it is the perfect lightweight umbrella stroller. I've used it with both DS1 and DS2 (since he was 5 months old) and they both love it. My kids have no problem napping in it (they are probably as reclined in it as in a car seat). We have never missed the legrest. Not a big deal IMO. Tippiness not an issue either since we place our things in the basket underneath and in the Mac organizer. I'd rather have an umbrella that works for older children than one that has bells and whistles that are unecessary after a baby is about 8-9 months old.

satchnbucky
04-09-2010, 06:01 PM
People here love it because it is the perfect lightweight umbrella stroller. I've used it with both DS1 and DS2 (since he was 5 months old) and they both love it. My kids have no problem napping in it (they are probably as reclined in it as in a car seat). We have never missed the legrest. Not a big deal IMO. Tippiness not an issue either since we place our things in the basket underneath and in the Mac organizer. I'd rather have an umbrella that works for older children than one that has bells and whistles that are unecessary after a baby is about 8-9 months old.

:yeahthat: and to clarify - the stroller DOES NOT tip when the baby is in it. It can be tippy if the baby is out of it, however I had my big old Cortina tip when I loaded too much on it too...
People have suggested ankle weights on the front or a full kleen kanteen or the like in the basket to counterweight the stroller.

Suzanne74
04-09-2010, 10:53 PM
People here love it because it is the perfect lightweight umbrella stroller. I've used it with both DS1 and DS2 (since he was 5 months old) and they both love it. My kids have no problem napping in it (they are probably as reclined in it as in a car seat). We have never missed the legrest. Not a big deal IMO. Tippiness not an issue either since we place our things in the basket underneath and in the Mac organizer. I'd rather have an umbrella that works for older children than one that has bells and whistles that are unecessary after a baby is about 8-9 months old.

I see why some people love it but I still believe it is overpriced and there are so many more options these days. With the Triump, most people get the universal organizer because there is no pockets, cupholder or organizer and then an additional sunray because the canopy is poor. That is an additional $50 which brings it well over a $200 stroller. I think the uppababy g-luxe, keekaroo, inglesina swift, zooper twist, britax blink and chicco litway offer just as much, if not more for a lot less. And most get incredible reviews and last for years as well. Bumbleride Flite will be out in less than a month and looks like a fantastic umbrella stroller.

I have a Volo and I like it so it isn't like I am against Maclarens but there are other options beside the Triumph for a deluxe umbrella stroller that others might be really happy with. That said OP, you need to try these strollers for yourself because every mom and baby are different. I spent hours trying out strollers before making a decision. Ones that I thought I would loved and were recommended, I hated and vice versa.

satchnbucky
04-10-2010, 07:38 AM
I see why some people love it but I still believe it is overpriced and there are so many more options these days. With the Triump, most people get the universal organizer because there is no pockets, cupholder or organizer and then an additional sunray because the canopy is poor. That is an additional $50 which brings it well over a $200 stroller. I think the uppababy g-luxe, keekaroo, inglesina swift, zooper twist, britax blink and chicco litway offer just as much, if not more for a lot less. And most get incredible reviews and last for years as well. Bumbleride Flite will be out in less than a month and looks like a fantastic umbrella stroller.

I have a Volo and I like it so it isn't like I am against Maclarens but there are other options beside the Triumph for a deluxe umbrella stroller that others might be really happy with. That said OP, you need to try these strollers for yourself because every mom and baby are different. I spent hours trying out strollers before making a decision. Ones that I thought I would loved and were recommended, I hated and vice versa.

Not to make this into a big back and forth but I paid $16 (normal price is $25 not $50) for my mac organizer and got my triumph for $85 on clearance at brus, making the whole thing $100. I realize that is not the norm, but many people find deals on both the stroller and the organizer. My friend has a chicco capri that she paid $65 and still had to buy a $20 organizer for, because most umbrella strollers do not have storage. It's the nature of the beast...
I guess this will be one of those agree to disagree things :)

arivecchi
04-10-2010, 08:23 AM
I see why some people love it but I still believe it is overpriced and there are so many more options these days. With the Triump, most people get the universal organizer because there is no pockets, cupholder or organizer and then an additional sunray because the canopy is poor. That is an additional $50 which brings it well over a $200 stroller. I think the uppababy g-luxe, keekaroo, inglesina swift, zooper twist, britax blink and chicco litway offer just as much, if not more for a lot less. And most get incredible reviews and last for years as well. Bumbleride Flite will be out in less than a month and looks like a fantastic umbrella stroller. My Triumph was $140 at BRU. Mine has a swiveling sunshade so no need for an extender. Most umbrellas do have crappy canopies though. I like the Inglesina as well. The Uppa's fabric is see-through, super thin. Have not seen the others and I am sure they are fine. Each one has its pros and cons, but I just do not get why people here like to bash Macs. They are pretty great umbrellas, which is the reason why they are so darn popular. ;)

Suzanne74
04-10-2010, 08:28 AM
Not to make this into a big back and forth but I paid $16 (normal price is $25 not $50) for my mac organizer

$50 for the organizer and a sunshade, not just the organizer.

And I agree that we can disagree. :p

Great price on the stroller though :applause:

Suzanne74
04-10-2010, 08:31 AM
My Triumph was $140 at BRU. Mine has a swiveling sunshade so no need for an extender. Most umbrellas do have crappy canopies though. I like the Inglesina as well. The Uppa's fabric is see-through, super thin. Have not seen the others and I am sure they are fine. Each one has its pros and cons, but I just do not get why people here like to bash Macs. They are pretty great umbrellas, which is the reason why they are so darn popular. ;)

It is funny you mention the bashing of Macs. I rarely see that, sometimes I think Maclaren execs are running the board because no matter what type of stroller someone wants,or their price range - people start saying Triumph or Quest. :ROTFLMAO:

satchnbucky
04-10-2010, 12:43 PM
I was at BRUS this morning and they have the Capri for $50 in red. With a 20% off coupon, it's $40. Even if you add an organizer and a sunshade, THAT's a good deal for an umbrella!