PDA

View Full Version : How much light in nursery during bedtime

hehateme
04-04-2010, 09:08 AM
Hi:

I was wondering if you keep the light on when the baby is sleeping during the night. During the daytime we keep the window open but at night we keep a lamp with 25W bulb on. Is this too much light? Should we just keep a night light on.

Thanks

SnuggleBuggles
04-04-2010, 09:31 AM
Too much light, imo! No light is the best. You don't need a night light. Light at night messes with their natural rhythms and cycles and can disrupt sleep. Plus, they can become a habit that can be hard to break when older. Sleeping in the dark is the best. If you have a middle of the night diaper change then try only doing it with the night light (when they are older they shouldn't need middle of the night changes anyway unless it's poop). eta- my 28mo has started complaining about not having lights when he falls asleep so the hall light is on and his door is partially open. We turn it off when he falls asleep or we come up for bed.

Beth

wellyes
04-04-2010, 09:46 AM
We go completely dark at night. I think nightlights are great if they're needed (like if a kid is having anxiety about the dark) but avoid them if you can.

hillview
04-04-2010, 02:02 PM
100% dark for bedtime. For naps, the room darkening shades don't keep the room totally dark BUT they do a pretty good job.
/hillary

meg72783
04-06-2010, 06:03 PM
i keep the nursery pretty dark..my baby was waking up at the crack of dawn and i covered the windows with blankets for the time being and he is sleeping till 7:30a-8a

elektra
04-06-2010, 06:06 PM
Totally dark in our bedrooms too. DS does have a clock that's kind of bright though. I'm thinking of taking it out actually.

PMJ
04-21-2010, 07:08 PM
100% dark for bedtime. For naps, the room darkening shades don't keep the room totally dark BUT they do a pretty good job.
/hillary

Okay, I'm off to return my night-light!! My mom told me this the other day, but I rolled my eyes and ignored her advice. :)

Good idea though -- definitely don't want to start a bad habit.

IWU2000
04-24-2010, 11:08 PM
I never thought about this before I read this thread. My DD has been waking up about 45min-1hr earlier than usual. I never thought that it may be the sun coming up earlier in the morning. I'm going to try covering the windows better. So thanks :)

DrSally
04-24-2010, 11:50 PM
Another vote for dark. I do have a dimmable nightlight in DD's room, only so it's not pitch black. It is very, very dim. 25 watts is too much IMO.

lowrioh
04-25-2010, 03:16 AM
Our baby monitor base has a night light built in and we have one of those night lights that plug into the wall that have light sensors which automatically turn them on.....but 25W seems like a lot to me.
DD is an awful sleeper and does better when she has a bit of light in the room. It also makes middle of the night diaper changes possible without turning on any other lights.

daphne
04-25-2010, 06:46 AM
/hillary

:yeahthat:

SnuggleBuggles
04-25-2010, 09:38 AM
Our baby monitor base has a night light built in and we have one of those night lights that plug into the wall that have light sensors which automatically turn them on.....but 25W seems like a lot to me.
DD is an awful sleeper and does better when she has a bit of light in the room. It also makes middle of the night diaper changes possible without turning on any other lights.

I just turn the nightlight on if we need to do a diaper change. :)

Beth