PDA

View Full Version : In-home safe vs. bank safety deposit box

lchang25000
04-04-2010, 01:28 PM
Does anyone have an in-home safe? Any recommendation for an in-home safe? What's the advantage/disadvantage between that and a bank's safety deposit box?

army_mom
04-04-2010, 01:43 PM
We had a small fireproof safe we kept in the closet that held important papers and files. It is portable and we could easily move it around. However, it was small enough that I guess if anyone wanted to steal it, they could haul it off and work to break into it. (not that we have anything of huge importance to anyone but us)

We had a safety deposit box before but since you have to go to the bank during their hours, it wasn't as convenient as being in our own house. Also, in order for anyone to get into your safety deposit box, they HAVE to be on the paperwork. DH wasn't around to sign the paperwork and I refused to have one he can't get in if something were to happen to me. And you have to keep paying annual fees which add up over time. A bank's safety deposit box would insure your stuff up to a certain value and an in-home safe would only be covered by your own insurance.

Now we have a very large (gun) safe that holds all of our important papers, jewelry, and guns (obviously). It is VERY heavy and won't be going anywhere if someone tries to steal it. I prefer to have everything handy for when we need it. We also keep copies of picture DVDs and special mementos that I would be sad if they were destroyed if something ever happened to our house.

link to our safe. fire rated to 1200 degrees for 90 minutes. Weighs about 700 lbs. DH said it was "easily" moved in by two men with an appliance dolly so I *guess* it could be taken, but not easily. DH said he got a good deal on last year's model. My jaw hit the floor when he said how much he spent but I gave him the reigns to buy what he wanted now rather than buy and replace in a few years. And safely storing our weapons is priority.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/gunsafes/detail.asp?value=F&cat_id=160&type_id=42744

lchang25000
04-04-2010, 01:47 PM
Now we have a very large (gun) safe that holds all of our important papers, jewelry, and guns (obviously). It is VERY heavy and won't be going anywhere if someone tries to steal it. I prefer to have everything handy for when we need it. We also keep copes of picture DVDs and special mementos that I would be sad if they were destroyed if something ever happened to our house.

Thanks for your reply. I'm assuming the gun safe was delivered to your house since it's so heavy?

army_mom
04-04-2010, 01:50 PM
yes, it was delivered.
And I hate to see the mover's face when we have to have it moved in a few years! At least we live in a single story home.

hillview
04-04-2010, 01:51 PM
We don't have anything. I will be watching this post :)
/hillary

kijip
04-04-2010, 01:58 PM
We have both. Off site for critical things is important.

On site, not the fanciest option but it provides a layer of security beyond the door and windows and is more accessible than the bank safe deposit box.

longtallsally05
04-04-2010, 03:01 PM
My cousin's home was recently burglarized and the thugs actually stole his in-home safe. The only consolation for him was the the safe was EMPTY! Ha ha ha...if only we could see their faces when they finally crack it open. I'll vote for a safe-deposit box.

smiles33
04-04-2010, 04:04 PM
We have an in-home safe and DH actually bolted it to the cement slab foundation (from inside the safe) at our old house. So that solves the issue of someone trying to steal the whole safe.

Unfortunately, he hasn't yet gotten around to doing it at this house despite being here 5 years....

I keep my nice jewelry in there, some gold coins we got as gifts, but we don't keep any paperwork in there. Do you? I figure our house's deed, marriage certificate, birth certificates, etc. can all be duplicated if our filing cabinet burns up. Is that naive/wrong?

katydid1971
04-04-2010, 04:44 PM
We have a fire box, not a safe but I would like to get one and bolt it down like others have mentioned. In the fire box are our SS cards, birth certificates, marriage license, car title, etc. Things you can replace if needed but its a real PITA IYKWIM. We don't have much of value (besides our precious DC of course) except my wedding ring which I wear all the time. I would like to get a good fire safe for picture disks etc.

fumofu
04-04-2010, 06:13 PM
DH upgraded his bank account at Bank of America and one of the perks was free safe deposit box for the smallest size (something like 2" x 5" x really long...) and discounted fees for the larger ones. It's hard to rent a large box though. The banker basically told us you'll have to wait til someone is deceased and frees up the box.

baymom
04-04-2010, 06:54 PM
We have both, although keep very little at home. Dh and I grew up with families that heavily used their bank safes, so we never thought much about NOT getting one. As for picture DVDs, while we do have a set at the bank, we keep a second set at my parents house...in case of a catastrophic earthquake.

pinkmomagain
04-04-2010, 07:16 PM
We have both, although keep very little at home.

Same here.

infocrazy
04-04-2010, 08:12 PM
Now we have a very large (gun) safe that holds all of our important papers, jewelry, and guns (obviously). It is VERY heavy and won't be going anywhere if someone tries to steal it. I prefer to have everything handy for when we need it. We also keep copies of picture DVDs and special mementos that I would be sad if they were destroyed if something ever happened to our house.

:yeahthat: All us, however, our friends who helped us move have told us that if we ever move again, we won't be taking that with us! :)

MamaMolly
04-04-2010, 11:11 PM
DH is a former cop and he is adamant that if you don't bolt down a small safe you are only providing criminals with a handy carrying case.

We have a safe deposit box at the bank for things we don't want to take with us overseas (silver flatware, my jewelry and important papers) and when we are at home we have a small dinky gunsafe that we keep planning to replace but haven't gotten around to. When we go overseas they are transferred to FIL's honkin' big safe. ANd yes, it was delivered and it is also bolted down.

Jacksmommy2b
04-05-2010, 12:17 AM
DH is a locksmith that deals with in home safes often. He is also very big on the 'drill it in'. If you decide to go with an in home I'll ask him which he reccomends!

infomama
04-05-2010, 12:23 AM
We have a small firesafe right now as soon as I can find the right price we are getting a Ft. Knox safe. It will cost us thousands of dollars but it will stay in our family for years...it's a true investment and utter peace of mind. We will bolt it down, of course. http://www.ftknox.com/