PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else still use a dial-up or not have cable?

JustMe
04-04-2010, 05:17 PM
I ask for 2 reasons...one just to really see if any one else is in either of these 2 situations. Two, sometimes I have questions I would generally ask here, but I don't think anyone would know the answer since no one else is still dealing with issues related to the above...

So, just in case anyone can answer this...I dont have cable. I dont watch tv often, will generally watch a dvd if I'm watching something, and sometimes do watch network tv...well, Friday night I wanted to record Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution on my VCR/DVD player, but I guess I have not done this since the switch to digital becaue I could not record in...There was no way to program channel 9.1 (or any channel with a decimal in it) into my VCR/DVD player so it would record the show...even having the tv on that channel would not work...I am thinking there's nothing I can do about this and now just cant record shows, but if anyone has any ideas, that would be great!

thanks,

BabyMine
04-04-2010, 05:31 PM
They do sell digital conversion boxes.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Apex-DT150-Digital-TV-Converter-Box/12534888?wmlspartner=GPA&sourceid=44444444440300171751

Info:
http://www.dtv.gov/consumercorner_4.html

galvjen
04-04-2010, 05:35 PM
No cable here. I have some complicated set up (thanks to DH) and I can record the x.y stuff on either VCR or DVD. Somehow VCR is required in this complicated loop; but since it works, I'm not complaining.

(We have upgraded DSL.)

JustMe
04-04-2010, 06:13 PM
Thanks. My tv is new enough to have a digitial tuner/be digital ready, so I shouldnt need a converter box. Just not sure how to get the vcr to record a program, and it does seem like there should be a way...

jess_g
04-04-2010, 06:34 PM
My mother used dial up AOL service until this year! So there are still people using this type of service. When she comes to visit she is always surprized at all the technology we have at our house but she likes simpler things at hers. Its just a difference of prefences. I hope one day to go back to a simipler time and a simpler home but not now with 3 kids.

Jessica.

ncat
04-04-2010, 08:20 PM
We have a DSL connection and no cable.
We haven't tried to record anything since getting our converter boxes, though!
I've been able to watch most shows I miss online, and haven't even thought about the VCR.

vludmilla
04-04-2010, 08:26 PM
I don't have cable and I have absolutely no plans to ever get it. I get great free reception as I am very close to NYC. I have the cheapest broadband there is, it is not much more if any, than dial-up.

Penny's Pappa
04-04-2010, 08:47 PM
My mother used dial up AOL service until this year! So there are still people using this type of service. When she comes to visit she is always surprized at all the technology we have at our house but she likes simpler things at hers. Its just a difference of prefences. I hope one day to go back to a simipler time and a simpler home but not now with 3 kids.

Jessica.

How you put that amused me! AOL/dial-up as "simpler times" really puts into perspective how far we've come in such a short amount of time. Just imagine how we'll be communicating with one another 10 years from now. Fascinating.

@OP: Sorry can't help you. I haven't used a VCR in years. We've had cable for a loooong time now, though we are thinking of getting rid of it and just watching broadcast television. We just can't live without our DVR though.

JustMe
04-04-2010, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the replies...I actually am at the point when I wish I could upgrade from dial-up. Its not really bad for e-mails, reading this board, etc, but there are so many mini-type vidoes (youtube) or even on-line classes type things I could be doing..at this point, I just don't want to shell out an extra $30/mo, which seems to be the going rate. Only qwest seems to offer something cheaper in my area, but I dont really trust that company to do a good job.

Yeah, I dont know that the deal is with the VCR thing...Now I need to find out what a DVR is...or is that just a dvd machine? My vcr does play dvds.

Penny's Pappa
04-05-2010, 07:47 AM
A DVR, or Digital Video Recorder, is basically a device that stores video onto a hard drive in real-time. This allows you to view recorded shows and to pause or replay live television. Think TiVo if you know what that is. My wife and I can't live without it.

I'm no audio/video expert but the problem with your VCR might be that it is an analog device and simply can't read the digital signal provided to your TV. I think there is a work-around for this, but I don't know what it is.

As for upgrading from dial-up, it's really just what you have to do if you want to get the Interwebs in all it's glory. It's money well spent, IMO, but YMMV.

khm
04-05-2010, 10:36 AM
I know that my co-worker can record broadcast. He has a separate tuner though (old TV). The tuner HAS to be set to the right channel before leaving the house, and it has to re-set so it doesn't go to "sleep" and turn off as the default is set up. The TV is set to channel 3 and the tuner plays through that channel. So, the VCR records channel 3 and whatever is playing through it.

With a new TV, you can't do the channel 3 thing. I think you can buy a new dvd-recorder or VCR with the new tuner built in. It would be able to tune to the x.1 channels. Or, an additional tuner box would work, but a new VCR is probably easier since recording is your goal.

AnnieW625
04-05-2010, 10:39 AM
My parents don't have cable, and don't have a Tivo, but I know that can be done as another family we know just has a Tivo. I also saw on a post here a while back that Magnavox makes a DVR too and I am pretty sure this is the one that one of the posters had:
http://reviews.walmart.com/1336/10104532/reviews.htm