PDA

View Full Version : H Mart lovers - finally made it!

maestramommy
04-05-2010, 03:28 PM
Today we didn't have any plans so I finally decided to pack up the kids and check it out. OMG it is so awesome! For a moment I felt like I was back in SoCal:D The biggest thing that floored me was the price of fish. Lower than anything I've seen in the grocery chains here. And another happy find: meat sliced thinly for sukiyaki:boogie: And Konyaku cakes for sukiyaki! And rows and rows of kimchi! And premium Ramen:rotflmao:

I was running late and left home much later than I intended, so I forgot all of my bags. I ended up buying just a few not-so-perishables, then headed over to the food court. Eek, the prices were a bit high (that was definitely NOT reminiscent of Socal:p), but it was too late to wait till we got home, so I got the girls something they could easily feed themselves, the hotdog in a fried bun :bag and a red bean bun for Laurel from Tous le Jours. For myself, a spider roll! We managed to make it through lunch and a pit stop without disaster, even though everyone dropped off on the way home, they still went down for nap :yay:Next time I need to go earlier though.

I need to go back when I have more time!

wencit
04-05-2010, 03:56 PM
Did you go to the one in Burlington?

I seriously almost cried when I discovered H Mart. In fact, I might have shed a few tears of joy. It was definitely my happiest day in Massachusetts yet -- by far! I had been feeling really homesick, and the sight of all those familiar things was so comforting and soothing. At home, I don't normally eat much Korean food, but I bought one bowl of Korean jja jjang noodles at the food court to share with DS1. Well, it was just so darn good, I went back to the counter and ordered another one. The lady looked at me kind of funny, but I didn't care. It was truly a case of a bowl of noodles filling my belly AND my spirit.

We should meet up there sometime, Melinda. H Mart Burlington is only 30 minutes from me.

maestramommy
04-05-2010, 03:59 PM
Erica, I DID go to the one in Burlington. My cousins live in Winchester and told me about it months ago. It's about 40 miles for me, so it's hard to spontaneously decide to go. Did your heart stop when you saw the rows and rows of kimchi:p

Where have you settled? I would love to meet up sometime!

hollybloom24
04-05-2010, 04:01 PM
That's great! I was thinking today I have not been up there in a while and need to take a trip!!!

wencit
04-05-2010, 04:12 PM
Melinda, I sent you a PM. :)

fortato
04-05-2010, 05:20 PM
Melinda- I can't believe you didn't stop at the mall!!!!

brgnmom
04-05-2010, 06:02 PM
oh wow, I was just at the H Mart in Burlington earlier this morning. I was craving some pastries at Tous le Jours and headed there, and I bought some kim bap at the food court for my DS. We are about fifteen minutes from that area and head there fairly often. I'd be up for a meet-up with other New England moms too! :) Glad you enjoyed your trip to H Mart, Melinda.
Michelle

bubbaray
04-05-2010, 06:07 PM
OK, so enlighten me. WHAT is H Mart? There is at least one in our metro area and while I've driven by it, I've never stopped in. Is it all Korean food? (I don't believe I"ve ever eaten Korean food, nor would I know how to cook it -- I can cook some Chinese and Japanese food, though)

TIA

brgnmom
04-05-2010, 06:14 PM
OK, so enlighten me. WHAT is H Mart? There is at least one in our metro area and while I've driven by it, I've never stopped in. Is it all Korean food? (I don't believe I"ve ever eaten Korean food, nor would I know how to cook it -- I can cook some Chinese and Japanese food, though)

TIA

Melissa,
H Mart is a Korean-owned (I think) supermarket chain, but it offers food from many different Asian countries, along with a selection of American food as well (like dairy products, pasta, chips, etc). There is a food court in the H Mart at Burlington, MA, and it offers Indian food, sushi, Korean food, Chinese food... and I discovered a kim bap & boba tea stand there earlier today.

In addition, I've bought pre-marinaded bulgogi (Korean bbq meat) at a very reasonable price there, and it tasted yummy. I personally don't know how to cook anything Korean from scratch, because a lot of the dishes require a lot of prep time and ingredients.

Hope that helps. :)
Michelle

ett
04-05-2010, 07:03 PM
I still haven't made it up to the H Mart in Burlington. I'm about 30 minutes away but I don't usually go up that direction. I've heard all good things about the store except from my parents, who weren't that impressed.

hellokitty
04-05-2010, 09:13 PM
Melinda, I am sooo jealous! I was drooling just reading your post!

fortato
04-05-2010, 09:56 PM
Melinda- have you ever been to Saigon Market, in Manchester? I drive by it all the time, but I never have a second to stop in...

maestramommy
04-05-2010, 10:10 PM
Melinda- have you ever been to Saigon Market, in Manchester? I drive by it all the time, but I never have a second to stop in...

Actually that's where I usually go. It's great for some things, like free range chicken, (if you don't mind that it's probably a senior citizen:p), rice vermicelli, fresh fish if you go on the right day. But it's pretty small. So there aren't as many items, and of the items, not much choice either. Still, when my parents were here, my mom went at least twice a week:p It's the one place where I see many other ethnic groups.