PDA

View Full Version : do you find yourself attracted to characters in books?

AnnieW625
04-05-2010, 05:41 PM
Just curious.

I am reading Curtis Sittenfeld's American Wife and I am about half way through the book and I find myself having this odd crush on the main male character Charlie Blackwell. He's outgoing, fun loving, and really seems to care for his wife despite his many flaws. I think what makes the character attractive to me is he is soo off the cuff, outgoing, loves baseball, and comes from an uppercrusty Republican family. I was never once in a relationship with someone like that and definitely not from an uppercrusty family (DH's family are arch conservative, but not upper crusty, and even though DH is a Republican he's very middle of the road; his family doesn't enjoy sports like my family does, and DH is just soo normal and predictable sometimes) so maybe that's what makes me so intrigued by this guy. Now the :bag gets inserted because the Charlie Blackwell is very very loosely based on......George W. Bush. Seriously crazy and even though I voted for him in 2000 I still never thought of him as anything but the president, and maybe just maybe one of the "a typical" many good old boys from my home town (many of which were my dads' friends---I am from California, not Texas) that might be life of the party at the neighborhood BBQ (and to this day probably the only interaction I would actually might even consider attending with the former Pres. if given the opportunity).

MamaMolly
04-05-2010, 06:04 PM
I am 100% head over heels in lust with Jamie Fraiser from the Outlander series. YUMMMMM! And I think Atticus Finch was one of my very first crushes. So yeah. ;)

elektra
04-05-2010, 06:10 PM
I can't think of a fictional character in a book. The main character from "A Time Traveler's Wife" does come to mind but it wasn't a serious crush. I have read Outlander but I never got the huge crush on Jamie.
I have however had huge crushes in some TV characters lately. Mainly Sylar from 1 or 2 seasons ago Heroes, and Wil Schuster from Glee. I think I played a few too many scenarios out in my mind with those two. :bag

elizabethkott
04-05-2010, 06:20 PM
Oh, I'm SOOOOOOOO with Molly!!!
Jamie Frasier all the way! Scottish Highlander deliciousness! :)

mamicka
04-05-2010, 06:25 PM
Arthur Clennam from Little Dorrit. That is all.

JoyNChrist
04-05-2010, 06:34 PM
I am 100% head over heels in lust with Jamie Fraiser from the Outlander series. YUMMMMM!

I seriously had dreams about him after I read the first book. How embarrassing is that? :bag

And the teenager in me was majorly lusting over the Twilight boys, even though I really didn't like the books all that much.

sariana
04-05-2010, 06:42 PM
OMG, yes.

Afra Lyon from Anne McCaffrey's Talent series is my soul mate.

F'lar from her Dragonriders series is my lust.

And Severus Snape from Harry Potter, well, he's my bad boy rescue case.

I love them all.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
04-05-2010, 06:46 PM
Both boys in the Steph Plum books. Ranger or Morelli, Morelli or Ranger.... I'll take both!

fauve01
04-05-2010, 06:53 PM
Oh, I'm SOOOOOOOO with Molly!!!
Jamie Frasier all the way! Scottish Highlander deliciousness! :)

:yeahthat: never in my life, and not since i read Outlander... but OMG, Jamie, sigh! :bag

boolady
04-05-2010, 07:24 PM
And I think Atticus Finch was one of my very first crushes.

... and Wil Schuster from Glee.

Excellent choices, ladies. I concur. Unfortunately, it's been far too long since I've been able to finish a book. I don't know what's wrong with me.

larig
04-05-2010, 07:27 PM
What a great question! I'm totally a sucker for most of Jane Austen's haughty male characters. (Even before I saw Colin Firth's Mr. Darcy).

DietCokeLover
04-05-2010, 07:55 PM
What a great question! I'm totally a sucker for most of Jane Austen's haughty male characters. (Even before I saw Colin Firth's Mr. Darcy).

Me too! Mr. Darcy is my fantasy man!

codex57
04-05-2010, 08:00 PM
Me too! Mr. Darcy is my fantasy man!

http://www.albundy.net/episodes/season_9/11/baseball005.jpg

:love-retry:???

:D

Fairy
04-05-2010, 08:23 PM
I am 100% head over heels in lust with Jamie Fraiser from the Outlander series. YUMMMMM! And I think Atticus Finch was one of my very first crushes. So yeah. ;)

ME TOO! I am totally crushing on him for 15 years now. I'm three books behind, but I adore that man. That fictitiously real man.

I also crush on Harry Potter. I do, I admit it. As written before he was portrayed by Daniel Radcliffe.

Fairy
04-05-2010, 08:24 PM
I seriously had dreams about him after I read the first book. How embarrassing is that? :bag

You read it?! Yay!!!

JoyNChrist
04-05-2010, 08:29 PM
You read it?! Yay!!!

Yes! And THANK YOU SO MUCH by the way (um...really really embarrassingly after the fact). :o

I read Outlander twice, then made it up to halfway through The Fiery Cross before life got in the way and I quit reading. I want to finish them all one day though (you know...in 17 years when I have time to read again).

Fairy
04-05-2010, 08:34 PM
Yes! And THANK YOU SO MUCH by the way (um...really really embarrassingly after the fact). :o

I read Outlander twice, then made it up to halfway through The Fiery Cross before life got in the way and I quit reading. I want to finish them all one day though (you know...in 17 years when I have time to read again).

No worries, you're welcome! I'm impressed you made it thru the Fiery Cross, cuz I so did not make it thru that one. I have serious work to do to get back on track with this beloved series! So glad you enjoyed these! I hear ya on the 17 years thing ...

boogiemomz
04-05-2010, 08:35 PM
um, yes. Edward in Twilight. i had friends that were calling me (my first name) Cullen. yummy. and rob pattinson in that role was SO inadequate.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
04-05-2010, 08:36 PM

:rotflmao::hysterical:

Corie
04-05-2010, 08:38 PM
Edward from Twilight. (NOT the movie version)

DietCokeLover
04-05-2010, 08:40 PM

I have a feeling that there is a joke behind that, but I'm sad to say I have no idea what it is! :bag

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
04-05-2010, 08:50 PM
His last name was Darcy on Married with Children, and Jane Austen's Mr. Darcy.

Fairy
04-05-2010, 08:52 PM
I have a feeling that there is a joke behind that, but I'm sad to say I have no idea what it is! :bag

So, the Mr. Darcy that was intended was the Colin Firth variety/Jane Austen/Bridget Jones's Diary. Codex thought he was being very witty by referencing a whole other Mr. Darcy from Married with Children, who is so not crushable. There ya go.

maestramommy
04-05-2010, 10:13 PM
:jammin: Oh yeah! I loved Colonel Brandon! After I saw Alan Rickman, I have to admit:D

AnnieW625
04-05-2010, 10:25 PM

I actually thought Mr. Darcy was kind of cute when the show was actually on! !
:hysterical:

liamsmom
04-06-2010, 12:03 AM
I am reading Curtis Sittenfeld's American Wife and I am about half way through the book and I find myself having this odd crush on the main male character Charlie Blackwell. He's outgoing, fun loving, and really seems to care for his wife despite his many flaws. I think what makes the character attractive to me is he is soo off the cuff, outgoing, loves baseball, and comes from an uppercrusty Republican family. I was never once in a relationship with someone like that and definitely not from an uppercrusty family (DH's family are arch conservative, but not upper crusty, and even though DH is a Republican he's very middle of the road; his family doesn't enjoy sports like my family does, and DH is just soo normal and predictable sometimes) so maybe that's what makes me so intrigued by this guy. Now the gets inserted because the Charlie Blackwell is very very loosely based on......George W. Bush. Seriously crazy and even though I voted for him in 2000 I still never thought of him as anything but the president, and maybe just maybe one of the "a typical" many good old boys from my home town (many of which were my dads' friends---I am from California, not Texas) that might be life of the party at the neighborhood BBQ (and to this day probably the only interaction I would actually might even consider attending with the former Pres. if given the opportunity).

:hysterical: IKWYM. I still have a hard time separating the president from the character and I read the book two years ago! Definitely saw the sex appeal. :bag

Amyone read Wally Lamb's I Know This Much Is True? I always thought the main character, Dominick, was pretty hot. He also reminded me of my husband. :D

rlu
04-06-2010, 12:51 AM
I am 100% head over heels in lust with Jamie Fraiser from the Outlander series. YUMMMMM!

My first thought. (I just finished the fourth one).

And Snape, but only after I saw Alan Rickman portray the part.

sariana
04-06-2010, 01:36 AM
And Snape, but only after I saw Alan Rickman portray the part.

Funny, I like Alan Rickman, but I think he is all wrong for Snape (mostly because he is nearly twice his age). Book!Snape is the one for me. You can have Rickman.

Fairy
04-06-2010, 02:06 AM
Funny, I like Alan Rickman, but I think he is all wrong for Snape (mostly because he is nearly twice his age). Book!Snape is the one for me. You can have Rickman.

Nooooo. I love me Movie!Snape! Not as much as I love Rickman in Galaxy Quest, however. By Grapthar's Hammer ... I shall avenge you! :-)

sariana
04-06-2010, 03:23 AM
Nooooo. I love me Movie!Snape! Not as much as I love Rickman in Galaxy Quest, however. By Grapthar's Hammer ... I shall avenge you! :-)

Ah, I'd give him to you, but I already said Rebecca could have him.

I actually lied about Book!Snape, though. It is Fanfiction!Snape that makes my toes curl. Tee-hee.

wellyes
04-06-2010, 08:12 AM
Jamie in Outlander: I couldn't really get past the 'spanking his girlfriend' thing but apparently I'm just 'vanilla' :p

misshollygolightly
04-06-2010, 08:59 AM
I'm an English lit grad student, so lots and lots of crushes on characters here! :rotflmao: One of my first and most enduring book-crushes was on Finny from John Knowles's _A Separate Peace_. There's this mouth-watering description of him wearing a pale blue shirt that sets off his tan as he walks along a beach. *Sigh* Basically, though, I fall in love with at least half the characters in half the books I read. Sheesh.

truly scrumptious
04-06-2010, 09:16 AM

"Miners, not minors!"

JoyNChrist
04-06-2010, 11:35 AM
Jamie in Outlander: I couldn't really get past the 'spanking his girlfriend' thing but apparently I'm just 'vanilla' :p

:rotflmao:

DH got ahold of my copy of Outlander one night and was reading some of the sex scenes, and asked, "Why aren't you into some of this stuff in real life?!" I told him we'd discuss it if he'd buy a kilt.

:ROTFLMAO:

bluestarfish18
04-06-2010, 11:41 AM
I have seriously rediculous heart palpitations thinking about Edward Cullen.

Fairy
04-06-2010, 12:20 PM
"Miners, not minors!"

I'm going to see if there's a pub!

AnnieW625
04-06-2010, 01:34 PM
:hysterical: IKWYM. I still have a hard time separating the president from the character and I read the book two years ago! Definitely saw the sex appeal. :bag

Amyone read Wally Lamb's I Know This Much Is True? I always thought the main character, Dominick, was pretty hot. He also reminded me of my husband. :D

So glad to see that I am not the only one:) I was beginning to think I was the only one!

I have not read the Wally Lamb book. I'll have to put it on my list.

DrSally
04-06-2010, 01:57 PM
Ok, so what is this Outlander book/series? What am I missing?

Fairy
04-06-2010, 02:47 PM
Ok, so what is this Outlander book/series? What am I missing?

Oh lordy. There are at least six of them out there right now. None are shorter than 600 pages or so. The bottom line, a nurse in 1945 post-war England is honeymooning late with her Scotish lineage husband in Scotland, steps into a one of the zillions of mini-Stonehengey standing stone circles and 'falls' thru them into 1743 Scotland. She lives her life there, falls in love there, etc., and if you can get past the first 200 pages of snooze, then you will be hooked till kingdom come. Je t'adore, Diana Gabaldon.

Outlander
Dragonfly in Amber
Voyager
Drums of Autumn
4th one I forget
5th one I forget

There's even a compendium!

boogiemomz
04-06-2010, 02:52 PM
I have seriously rediculous heart palpitations thinking about Edward Cullen.

whew... so glad i'm not alone here. not even kidding, i would get that pre-pubescent heart flutter/nervous feeling in my stomach reading about him! :bag

JoyNChrist
04-06-2010, 02:53 PM
Outlander
Dragonfly in Amber
Voyager
Drums of Autumn
The Fiery Cross
A Breath of Snow and Ashes
and now a 7th called Echo in the Bone

I made it about 1/3 of the way through the 5th one before I got busy and put them aside, but I'd love to finish them all one day. Some parts are long and tedious, but they're really good books and they'll get you hooked.

Fairy
04-06-2010, 02:54 PM
I gave up at the Fiery Cross. I tried reading it, but I'd forgotten so many characters taht I just never was able to get past the first 100 pages. One day ...

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
04-06-2010, 02:57 PM
No one for Stephanie Plum's men? Just me?:bag

JoyNChrist
04-06-2010, 02:59 PM
No one for Stephanie Plum's men? Just me?:bag

Man, I forgot about her! Yes, I had dirty dreams about Joe and Ranger. :p Guess it's just been too long since I've read them...

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
04-06-2010, 03:07 PM
Man, I forgot about her! Yes, I had dirty dreams about Joe and Ranger. :p Guess it's just been too long since I've read them...

Me, too! Some of the scenes in those are :dizzy:Ranger seems like a lot of fun!

Twoboos
04-06-2010, 04:45 PM

OMG, Galaxy Quest was hilarious!! I haven't thought of that movie in so long!

Edward Cullen. Aaaahhhh.

Jamie Fraser. Aaaahhhh. (Now I have to get Dragonfly in Amber, as I am thinking about Jamie again! <drool>)

DrSally
04-06-2010, 05:02 PM
So, in the Outlander books, are the first 200 pages of every book a snooze? I don't know if I have that much time to get to the good stuff....

elektra
04-06-2010, 05:07 PM
So, in the Outlander books, are the first 200 pages of every book a snooze? I don't know if I have that much time to get to the good stuff....

I thought the second book was tough to get through after reading the first one. I am still debating on if/when to start the 3rd.

fivi2
04-06-2010, 05:17 PM

I try to stay out of the Outlander discussions and not rain on other's fun, but I read Outlander and HATED it. It is straight up romance imo. (I was expecting something else). So, if you like romance novels, then I guess it is good, but if you aren't a fan of romance novels, don't invest the energy... Because it is LONG.

Twoboos
04-06-2010, 05:23 PM
I try to stay out of the Outlander discussions and not rain on other's fun, but I read Outlander and HATED it. It is straight up romance imo. (I was expecting something else). So, if you like romance novels, then I guess it is good, but if you aren't a fan of romance novels, don't invest the energy... Because it is LONG.

Hmmm, maybe this is why I wasn't loving it as much as expected!! Was expecting a little more action/adventure. There was quite a bit of her falling lustily into his arms, LOL. (not that I blame her!! Can't take TOO much of that, though.)

LBW
04-06-2010, 06:48 PM
I'm an English lit grad student, so lots and lots of crushes on characters here! :rotflmao: One of my first and most enduring book-crushes was on Finny from John Knowles's _A Separate Peace_. There's this mouth-watering description of him wearing a pale blue shirt that sets off his tan as he walks along a beach. *Sigh* Basically, though, I fall in love with at least half the characters in half the books I read. Sheesh.

This was my first literary crush, too! It's been years since I've read A Separate Peace. Must dig up my copy.

catroddick
04-06-2010, 07:31 PM
Thank goodness some of you mentioned Edward!

I just started the series- I'm halfway through Twilight and I am so excited about how much more I have to read! I read during lunch and I'm still a little off-kilter from being soooo fluttery over him. I actually had to take a few minutes to get my head back after lunch, and I'm still smirking. He's just so yummy.

I haven't felt like this since Rhett Butler!

boogiemomz
04-06-2010, 07:54 PM
Thank goodness some of you mentioned Edward!

I just started the series- I'm halfway through Twilight and I am so excited about how much more I have to read! I read during lunch and I'm still a little off-kilter from being soooo fluttery over him. I actually had to take a few minutes to get my head back after lunch, and I'm still smirking. He's just so yummy.

I haven't felt like this since Rhett Butler!

ooh, just getting started!! i'm all fluttery for you!! sigh... :loveeyes:

Fairy
04-06-2010, 08:15 PM

It's just that first one where I fought to stick with it in the beginning. Until the 5th book where I had quite the hard time getting into it. There are so many characters, I forgot!

I agree with the Romance. If you don't like Romance, these books aren't for you. They are sold in the Romance section. but I don't consider them true Romance novels. They're kind of Historical Fiction meets Romance meets Science Fiction. They historically reference very real things that really did happen (but don't think for a minute that the events aren't fictionalized, they totally are). If you'e not into Historical Fiction, you can get past that. If you're not into Science Fiction, you should be able to get past that, as it's a means to an end. But if you don't like Romance, you can't get past that.

JoyNChrist
04-06-2010, 08:16 PM
It's just that first one where I fought to stick with it in the beginning. Until the 5th book where I had quite the hard time getting into it. There are so many characters, I forgot!

I agree with the Romance. If you don't like Romance, these books aren't for you. They are sold in the Romance section. but I don't consider them true Romance novels. They're kind of Historical Fiction meets Romance meets Science Fiction. They historically reference very real things that really did happen (but don't think for a minute that the events aren't fictionalized, they totally are). If you'e not into Historical Fiction, you can get past that. If you're not into Science Fiction, you should be able to get past that, as it's a means to an end. But if you don't like Romance, you can't get past that.

:yeahthat: Everything she said.

DrSally
04-06-2010, 08:58 PM

Historical fiction and Science fiction and Romance in one novel....Interesting. Out of all of those, I like historical fiction the most, select science fiction (Ursula LeGuin), and have only read a few romance novels in college...

malphy
04-08-2010, 07:33 AM
Since I am now hooked on the Sookie stackhouse books (because of this board, lol) I would definitely say Eric.

Bill is okay but there is just something about this Eric guy that makes me hot.

wellyes
04-08-2010, 07:43 AM
Eric is a real fantasy character in the books. I personally advise avoiding watching the series until you're done reading the books since I personally think the guy they cast as Eric looks like a very tall, strung-out Macauley Culkin.

Historical fiction and Science fiction and Romance in one novel....Interesting. Out of all of those, I like historical fiction the most, select science fiction (Ursula LeGuin), and have only read a few romance novels in college...OK, you sound a lot like me, and I have to confess Outlander to me was so-so historical fiction and TERRIBLE science fiction. But still kinda entertaining. In that the-fourth-Twilight-book way if you know what I mean (trying to avoid giving away spoilers!)

boogiemomz
04-08-2010, 07:50 AM
OK, you sound a lot like me, and I have to confess Outlander to me was so-so historical fiction and TERRIBLE science fiction. But still kinda entertaining. In that the-fourth-Twilight-book way if you know what I mean (trying to avoid giving away spoilers!)

so... if i kinda hated the fourth twilight book, should i avoid outlander?

DrSally
04-08-2010, 03:02 PM
Eric is a real fantasy character in the books. I personally advise avoiding watching the series until you're done reading the books since I personally think the guy they cast as Eric looks like a very tall, strung-out Macauley Culkin.

OK, you sound a lot like me, and I have to confess Outlander to me was so-so historical fiction and TERRIBLE science fiction. But still kinda entertaining. In that the-fourth-Twilight-book way if you know what I mean (trying to avoid giving away spoilers!)

Haha. I haven't read the Twilight books yet, but that's a funny reference. I'm thinking of getting started on them, as I just read Midnight Sun and found it entertaining.