PDA

View Full Version : Help me word a card

MacMacMoo
04-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Our son was suppose to be born at the beginning of March. Two weeks before I was due our son was stillborn. Since then I've been making gowns and blankets to give to my hospital.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_RVe4VwMh31E/S7WS2uaUqTI/AAAAAAAAAzM/52qEvlhpRZg/s512/04012010.jpg
(an idea of scale the hooded blanket is 12 inch square)

The first batch I made I stipulated that I wanted them used exclusively for babies that were stillborn or will pass away shortly after birth. The card I included with each item read: "Hand smocked gown made with love in memory of Matthew. A moment in our hands. Forever in our hearts."

I'm making a second batch of items and I'm not putting any exclusion. More than likely, most of the items will end up in the NICU where the babies have a chance to long wonderful lives. I feel hesitant to included the same card as last time. The card itself is perfect from my stand point since it says what I want it to say. However I feel that from a recipients point of few it could be better.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: Thank you all for your condolences.
For the second batch would dropping the "hands/hearts" part and changing "in memory of" to "in honor of" make it better?

lmh2402
04-05-2010, 06:35 PM
i'm so very sorry for your loss

what a beautiful and generous gift you are giving to so many families

i personally think the card reads perfectly - this your gift, coming from your heart, and honoring your son.

i think the sentiment is perfectly worded

sariana
04-05-2010, 06:39 PM
I am so, so sorry for your loss.

What you are doing is wonderful. My son was born early and was in the NICU for 2 1/2 weeks. I would have felt honored and blessed for him to receive a gift with a card worded exactly as you have written it.

mamicka
04-05-2010, 06:42 PM
I got teary reading that. What an awesome gesture. I think your card is perfectly fitting. Bless you.

malphy
04-05-2010, 06:44 PM
I am terribly sorry for your loss.

I think what you are doing is beautiful and perfect as is.

edurnemk
04-05-2010, 06:48 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss.

I would not change a single word. It seems beautiful to me.

elizabethkott
04-05-2010, 06:58 PM
I'm so very sorry for your loss.
I think that the gowns are as beautiful as the sentiment behind their creation, which is expressed perfectly in what you wrote.

TwinFoxes
04-05-2010, 07:12 PM
I'm so terribly sorry for your loss. Your generosity is touching.

My babies were in the NICU for almost 11 weeks. I would have appreciated your gift. But I think your instinct is right about the card. It was very touch and go, especially with D. The last thing I would have wanted was a reminder of a bad outcome. Others may disagree with me, but it was a very rough time for me. (But nothing compared to what you must have gone through :hug: ). I think you are amazingly kind to be thinking of the feelings of others.

I don't really have a suggestion. Maybe something about small blessings? Or "Handsmocked with love by Matthew's Mother?"

Your kindness is amazing.

Momof3Labs
04-05-2010, 08:23 PM
I'm so, so sorry for your loss.

julevizamom
04-05-2010, 08:40 PM
This touched me in a way I can't describe. I myself delivered a stillborn son in November of '07. And I am amazed and so moved that you are able to funnel your sadness into such a positive gesture.

I think your wording on the first is absolutely perfect. For the second (the NICU babies), I can understand what the PP said about not wanting to think about negative outcomes. Maybe something like "Hand smocked gown made for your beautiful baby by Matthew's mommy. May he/she have a beautiful life."

teedeedee
04-05-2010, 08:56 PM
I don't have any advice for the wording, but I too wanted to wanted to give my condolences. Your generosity will touch so many. I hope you find much comfort in that. You will be in my prayers.

ewpmsw
04-05-2010, 10:35 PM
I'm so very sorry for your loss. I wouldn't change a bit of the wording, it's perfect as is. What a beautiful gift, mama.

bigpassport
04-05-2010, 11:18 PM
So sorry for your loss. How heartbreaking.

The gowns look like little angels.

I agree with the PPs who said the card is perfect for the first batch, but maybe not the second batch. I think something like "Hand smocked for your angel with love" or something to that effect would be touching for a LO in NICU.

mom2ethan
04-05-2010, 11:26 PM
I am so very sorry for your loss. These are such beautiful gifts. I think the rewording you suggested at the bottom of your first post is perfect.

boogiemomz
04-05-2010, 11:55 PM
so very sorry for the loss of matthew; i cannot imagine the pain you feel. what a beautiful gesture to turn that into such a kindness to others who are suffering.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
04-06-2010, 01:41 AM
I got teary reading that. What an awesome gesture. I think your card is perfectly fitting. Bless you.

:yeahthat: So sorry for you loss. :grouphug:

niccig
04-06-2010, 02:25 AM
Such beautiful gowns. :grouphug: for the loss of Matthew.

NancyJ_redo
04-06-2010, 02:40 AM
I'm so very sorry for your loss. I wouldn't change a bit of the wording, it's perfect as is. What a beautiful gift, mama.

:yeahthat: Hugs to you :grouphug:

jgenie
04-06-2010, 08:11 AM
I'm so, so sorry for your loss.

I think your change in wording would be fine.

Ceepa
04-06-2010, 09:20 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss. Your gesture to the babies at the hospital is beautiful and touching. :hug: Your family is in my prayers.