PDA

View Full Version : What to pack for a possible water birth?

c&j04
04-05-2010, 07:50 PM
This is so last minute that I'm totally blanking. I have my bag packed for the hospital but this particular place doesn't allow you to reserve a room with whirlpool. So...not sure if I'll have that option even. What to pack tho if I do????:dizzy:

SnuggleBuggles
04-05-2010, 08:11 PM
No actual deliveries allowed where I had ds2, only allowed to labor in there. I brought some extra undies (though I wound up just not wearing them for most of the time...wasn't feeling very modest plus the belly covered things in the front). I had a few tank tops and sports bras. Bathing suit tops would be fine too. Bring some extras for your dh or so because they will probably get wet helping you (birth in general is messy too so bring the extras no matter what).

I hope you get to try it! I was hoping that I would love it and spend all my time in it but I didn't totally love it. I was in and out a few times and it did feel really good. I was in the zone just sitting on the queen bed in my birth suite being all yoga like though. :) Lots of people have great water births! Gentle, nice way to birth. :)

Beth

brittone2
04-05-2010, 08:16 PM
I wore an old bikini top, and no bottoms for my recent home waterbirth. In photos, etc. you can't tell I didn't have bottoms on as my huge belly obscured everything. If I was in a hospital setting and not delivering in the water (with my oldest I was in a hospital that allowed laboring but not delivering in the water), I would consider bringing bottoms. I didn't have my DH in the water with me but if that's an option bring a suit for him if you think you might want his support in the water. Lots of people lose all sense of modesty in labor and just go in topless...YMMV. I wasn't bothered by having a bikini top on. I forget what I wore with my oldest when I just labored in the water...totally blanking.

If you are planning to BF and may *deliver* in the water, consider that if you opt to pack a top. I've heard of people wearing shelf bra tanks (non nursing ones) and realizing when wet they are a PITB to try to nurse in since they sort of cling and don't have clasps, etc. for easy access.

AshleyAnn
04-05-2010, 10:58 PM
I took a string bikini. :) Yeah I'm a modest girl and didn't gain a lot of weight so I decided it was my best bet for easy access/removal and coverage. Didn't end up getting wet (not even a shower thanks to the nurses :grrr: ) but I still think it would have been great.

essnce629
04-06-2010, 01:25 AM
I've had 2 waterbirths. My first I just wore a regular non-nursing sports bra (no bottoms) and it was a pain since I had to take it off completely in order to breastfeed. This time around I wore a sleep nursing bra (and no bottoms) and it was much better. Mine was white though and if I had to do it all over again I'd get a black one. When wet, you could see my areolas, which isn't that big of a deal, but we have video of my labor and birth that I've shown my friends and I'd prefer a black bra! An inflatable bath pillow is also good since you can use it to float your head on in while you're in the tub! A bathrobe would be nice if you end up getting in and out of the tub a bunch and wallking around. Terry flip flop slippers are nice too. Make sure you stay hydrated in the tub too. I always drink a ton of water and sports drinks while I'm in there. And don't forget hair ties so you're hair isn't soaking wet.

MoJo
04-06-2010, 07:12 AM
I'm planning on wearing a maternity swimsuit top but no bottoms. (That's what was suggested by the birth center).

At my birth center, they get you out of the water before breastfeeding, so I'm not concerned about that.

A friend of a friend just had a baby two days ago, and although she wasn't able to use the room with the whirlpool tub, the hospital was able to bring in some type of portable tub, and she was able to give birth in the water just like she wanted. . . so that may be something to ask about.

Hope it works out for you!