PDA

View Full Version : Garden snakes - do you ignore them or kill them?

sewarsh
04-06-2010, 10:07 AM
Okay, so i love nature, yada, yada. BUT i do not love snakes. I found 3 in my front yard the other day when i was weeding (they were hidden in ground coverings). Since it was the front yard, i wasn't too concerned.

Today, i'm weeding in our backyard where my kids play ALL the TIME! And there's one in our back yard. About 15 inches long.

Will they hurt my children in any way? Should we let them be or kill them? I'm assuming there's a nest near our house somewhere. UGH. I'm SICK!

JBaxter
04-06-2010, 10:20 AM
What kind are they? Copperheads we can get around here we kill those. All others we leave they eat bugs and small rodents

DietCokeLover
04-06-2010, 10:31 AM
IMO there is no such thing as a good snake (though science disagrees!). Kill kill kill is my policy. I'm beyond terrified of them.

sewarsh
04-06-2010, 10:41 AM
yeah, when that thing slithers around and sticks its tongue in my direction, it FREAKS me out!! My DH tells me to get over it...that they are good. they are just garden snakes, but eewww!!

elliput
04-06-2010, 10:43 AM
Ignore the snakes, they eat mice.

wellyes
04-06-2010, 10:53 AM
I wouldn't kill a harmless snake that irritated me and more than I'd kill a bird that i did the same thing. In other words: it's their nature.

pb&j
04-06-2010, 11:01 AM
Garden snakes, like black snakes and garter snakes eat mice and other pests, so I leave them be. I'm way more wigged out by the mice in my garage than by the snakes in my yard.

I'd only kill venomous snakes. We have rattlesnakes and copperheads around here. If I found one in my yard, I might not even kill it. We know a guy who will pick up venomous snakes and take them away - I'd probably just call him. I don't think it's safe to attempt to kill venomous snakes, anyway, so in any case I'd be calling an expert to deal with it.

In our area, we also have some mean but non-venomous snakes, but I've only ever seen them out hiking, not near settled areas, as they are pretty shy.

kransden
04-06-2010, 11:07 AM
Let me put it this way - If there was nothing to eat in your yard, they wouldn't be there. So, maybe some yard grooming would fix the entire problem? I'm not saying your yard looks bad, it might be beautiful, but you might need to rethink it with an eye toward "snake food".

JoyNChrist
04-06-2010, 11:59 AM
I'm of the opinion that the only good snake is a dead snake. Yeah yeah, I know, very anti-nature of me and all that, but I vote kill 'em all. ;)

sewarsh
04-06-2010, 12:01 PM
They don't irratate me...they give me the heebie-jeebies!! and i obviously wouldn't want one to bite one of my DC. we live right near a national park so get lots of different types of animals...wolves, deer, etc. so i guess there is a possiblity that there are rodents out there too. i guess we'll levae them be for now. ugh.

maiaann
04-06-2010, 12:01 PM
I'm of the opinion that the only good snake is a dead snake. Yeah yeah, I know, very anti-nature of me and all that, but I vote kill 'em all. ;)

:yeahthat: I am absolutely TERRIFIED of snakes!

SnuggleBuggles
04-06-2010, 12:03 PM
Is running away an option? I do not handle snakes well at all. If I found one in my yard I would likely never go out there again unless someone got rid of it (I prefer capture and release somewhere else to killing, if possible). The only way I can go out is by refusing to look in likely hiding places and just hoping for the best!
Beth

Indianamom2
04-06-2010, 12:06 PM
Snakes don't scare me as much as spiders. (Of course this all changes if we're talking poisonous snakes!)

As I see it, snakes eat spiders...so snakes are the lesser of two evils. Oh, and they eat other bugs and mice...a win-win! ;)

elizabethkott
04-06-2010, 12:07 PM
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAH!
The *title* of this post makes my skin crawl!!!
Snakes?! Are you *SERIOUS*?!

slworld
04-06-2010, 12:08 PM
I am terrified of snakes. I would just want it out of my yard dead or alive.

04-06-2010, 12:14 PM
If your property is next to a national park then you won't be able to get rid of all the snakes so I'd let them be unless they were poisonous or aggressive. The little garden snakes won't bite your kids unless your kids step on them or pick them up.

niccig
04-06-2010, 12:20 PM

This is me too. Growing up in Australia, well most snakes are not the non-venomous kind. My Dad takes care of any in the neighbourhood, he was a marksman in the army and never misses. He does have a non-venomous python that he lets stay in the barn to take care of mice/rats. Problem is this snake is rather long, as in my height long. Still freaks me out even though I know it won't hurt us.

Despite all of this, I would leave non-venomous garden snakes alone. My trick in the yard is to make a lot of noise. Snakes are normally more afraid of you and will get out of your way first. I would also talk to your kids about what to do if they see a snake. Stay still, watch the snake and back away from it, go tell an adult. If there's 2 people, one watches where the snake goes, while the other tells an adult. DH is absolutely freaked out by the snakes my Dad has killed around his house, and we've talked to DS about what to do if he sees one. Also, keep the doors to the house shut. It's a habit I have that drives DH crazy, but I always always shut the back door from the yard into the house - keeps out other animals too.

I wouldn't kill a snake myself unless I knew what I was doing. I would call someone from animal control if I had a venomous snake in the yard. They totally freak me out mostly because most of the snakes I have seen are very venomous, so I kind of agree with only good snake is a dead snake.

Fairy
04-06-2010, 12:24 PM
This thread is almost as bad as the bat thread. I'm skeeving, here.

wendibird22
04-06-2010, 12:25 PM
Don't tell PETA but I've been known to take a long stick and hurl one across the yard. :bag

StantonHyde
04-06-2010, 12:34 PM
Oh, HONEST TO PETE!!! They are just snakes. And probably garden snakes. Granted, I wouldn't want venomous snakes in my yard, either. But a good mouse eating snake is a VERY good thing. Seriously, people, put on your big girl panties and deal with it!

We have snakes in our yard. I teach the kids to watch them and not bother them or touch them. They live here. End. of. story. They are helpful. It would make more sense to kill all the bunnies and the deer who eat our garden--but that would not be a popular option, would it??

Yes, a snake does cause a startle reflex, so do bees. yeesh.

mudder17
04-06-2010, 12:38 PM
Ignore the snakes, they eat mice.

Yep, we don't get poisonous ones around here (to my knowledge); most of the ones we've come across are simple garden snakes or rat snakes. I don't know about you, but I love having Rat snakes around. Much prefer them to the alternative!

Andi98989
04-06-2010, 12:45 PM
I run for the hills and avoid the yard for a while. No clue what I'm going to do when DS brings one into the house.

BabyMine
04-06-2010, 12:46 PM
They don't bother me if I don't bother them. This is our current black racer.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i132/jgerski1/P1000337-1.jpg

lchang25000
04-06-2010, 12:51 PM
They don't bother me if I don't bother them. This is our current black racer.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i132/jgerski1/P1000337-1.jpg

Yikes! That thing hangs around your yard??? *FAINT*

DH saw a small one in our front yard and left it be.

Fairy
04-06-2010, 12:53 PM
I don't like them. I don't want anything to do with them in the wild. But I would leave them alone. If they get in your house, time to make some calls. If they're poisonous, I dunno, we don't have those here, but folks in the West will certainly have advice. But garden variety? I would just try to avoid.

TwinFoxes
04-06-2010, 01:37 PM
Well I doubt I'd be able to kill them while standing on the roof where I would have jumped if I saw one.

What's funny is, if someone has a pet snake, or we're at a petting zoo, snakes don't bother me AT ALL. They feel cool, and they're little tongues are cute. Out in the wild? EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!

JenChem
04-06-2010, 01:40 PM
If I knew there were 3 snakes outside my home lurking in the bushes I'd never go outside again. I freaked when we found vole holes in our yard because I was terrified there were snakes. I wouldn't kill them but I'd get someone (likely DH) to come and take them away to the woods.

Screw the big girl panties they just freak me out! I don't hate on people for their fears so why should anyone hate on mine?

Jo..
04-06-2010, 01:48 PM
IMO there is no such thing as a good snake (though science disagrees!). Kill kill kill is my policy. I'm beyond terrified of them.

:yeahthat:

I would run screaming like a girl, and get me neighbor to come kill them or make Dave come home from work and do it.

I tried putting on my big girl panties, but then I dropped a load in them when I saw a snake, and had to throw them away.

JTsMom
04-06-2010, 01:50 PM
Oh, HONEST TO PETE!!! They are just snakes. And probably garden snakes. Granted, I wouldn't want venomous snakes in my yard, either. But a good mouse eating snake is a VERY good thing. Seriously, people, put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
:hysterical: But even so....

Well I doubt I'd be able to kill them while standing on the roof where I would have jumped if I saw one.

newg
04-06-2010, 01:51 PM
I played with some garter snakes when I was a kid.........found them as babies and they lived in the front of our yard all summer.

If it's a "safe" snake I would just remove from the yard. I found one sunning itself on one of our bushes last summer. DH used garden gloves, put it in a bucket and took it down to a wooded area a block from our house.

MoJo
04-06-2010, 01:58 PM
I ignore them. One of my dogs kills them if she finds them, though. I don't think she's found one since DD was born.

MamaSnoo
04-06-2010, 02:12 PM
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

MamaSnoo
04-06-2010, 02:19 PM
I know I am weird, but I kind of like our little garden snakes. Makes me feel like there is still a little wildlife, even in the city. Ours are small and very shy. I would not be too happy to see a copperhead or rattler, I do not think I would kill them.

SnuggleBuggles
04-06-2010, 02:23 PM
I have no idea which snakes are venomous or not...and I am not about to get close enough to look for identifying marks. So, all snakes are treated equally.

I have no need for big girl panties. Snakes are my fear and I don't see much reason to get past that. :)

Beth

michellerw
04-06-2010, 02:55 PM

I won't even touch photos of snakes but... WORD. Especially if it's a harmless garter or black snake. My brother and I were taught to identify harmful snakes (and run!!!!) at a young age, though.

pb&j
04-06-2010, 03:00 PM
I have no idea which snakes are venomous or not...and I am not about to get close enough to look for identifying marks. So, all snakes are treated equally.

I have no need for big girl panties. Snakes are my fear and I don't see much reason to get past that. :)

Beth

Venomous snakes have heads that are much wider than their bodies. Non-venomous snakes have heads that are about the same diameter as their bodies.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
04-06-2010, 03:01 PM

We have snakes in our yard. I teach the kids to watch them and not bother them or touch them. They live here. End. of. story. They are helpful. It would make more sense to kill all the bunnies and the deer who eat our garden--but that would not be a popular option, would it??

:hysterical: LOVE the big girl panties saying. Will add to my vocab!

Carrots
04-06-2010, 03:20 PM
Hmm. I guess I am not afraid of the little snakes we have around here (massachusetts). We live in a city and have only seen the small garter snakes laying in the sun on the bike path near our house. I think they are more interesting than scary, but I haven't encountered them in my yard. I may feel differently if that happened. I have also never seen a BIG snake in the wild, only in a zoo or pet store.
:)

JoyNChrist
04-06-2010, 03:28 PM

I'm good, thanks. I equate killing snakes with squashing spiders. Maybe it's not a biting spider or a venomous one, but spiders freak me out and I don't want them in my house. If it ventures into my territory, it will get squashed.

Of course, I might feel a little differently in that we have venomous snakes around here too (copperheads and water moccasins mostly), and I just don't feel comfortable trying to teach my toddler to differentiate between "safe" snakes and dangerous ones (nor do I always trust my ability to do so). So the policy at my house is pretty simple - if you see a snake, run and tell mommy or daddy, and they'll shoot it or chop off its head with a garden hoe.

I do like the big girl panties thing though, and use it frequently...I just save my big girl panties for other things. ;)

Snow mom
04-06-2010, 03:41 PM
Snakes are so much less vile than what they are eating. Really. Leave them alone. They don't want anything from you.

Jo..
04-06-2010, 03:53 PM
Snakes are so much less vile than what they are eating. Really. Leave them alone. They don't want anything from you.

Last year Dave found two snakes in my garden, and one was EATING THE OTHER ONE!

Fortunately my dogs will spot a snake and alert us to it...

I don't have any issues with snakes as long as they stay away from my turf. The minute they cross that fence they are flirting with death.

StantonHyde
04-06-2010, 04:10 PM
It just ticks me off that people will kill animals simply because they are afraid of them. Of all the things to be afraid of--people are the most dangerous. (e.g. bad drivers) As for animals to be afraid of--bunnies carry tons of diseases--but you don't see people chopping off rabbit heads because they are cute. Its about actual vs. perceived risk.

So, yes, I will call people on their fears when it means killing something as harmless as a snake. I have plenty of fears. I own up to them and I move forward--I'm terrified of swimming but I will be doing an open water triathalon this summer.

I'm not saying I would pick a snake up and cuddle it but I see no reason to kill it.

niccig
04-06-2010, 04:35 PM
I'm not saying I would pick a snake up and cuddle it but I see no reason to kill it.

I make the distinction between non-venomous and venomous IF a person can make that distinction. Non-venomous is harmless. Venomous can kill the dog/cat and yes a person. The name of my parents town is an aboriginal word for "black snake". I have seen Taipains, King Browns and Red Belly Black Snakes - all on the top 10 most venomous snakes. These are not pet garter snakes that won't hurt you and are not aggressive. Nor are they 'small' snakes. Dad leaves the 5' long harmless python in his barn, and yes it still freaks me out when I see it until I realise it's the "OK" snake. The territorial taipain that is aggressive was shot. It was either shoot the snake or the dog was going to get bitten by the snake. And if it can kill the 50lb dog, it can kill my 40lb child. We're careful about snakes in Australia and most are avoided and left alone, it's when they're on your back patio that they get taken out. It's not a daily occurrence, but people are very careful around snakes and you don't want one that is territorial to decide to live under your deck.

Here in the USA, I worry about rattle snakes and if one was in my yard, I would call animal control or someone to remove it however they can. By the time they get there, it would probably have gone. If not, they can have it. A garter snake, can stay. I know a rattle snake is less venomous than what I'm used to, but I still want it out of my yard. I don't want to worry about DS stepping on it or the dog getting bitten.

hobie
04-06-2010, 04:40 PM
Please leave the King Snakes alone! They will kill Rattle snakes, so you really, really want them to live in your yard.

niccig
04-06-2010, 04:46 PM
Please leave the King Snakes alone! They will kill Rattle snakes, so you really, really want them to live in your yard.

Are you talking about my reference to a King Brown snake? It's not here in the USA. It's only in Australia, and there are no rattle snakes in Australia. A King Brown snake is Pseudechis australis and is VERY venomous. It's one you would see the Crocodile Hunter telling you to not go anywhere near it if you saw one in the wild. It is not a King snake, totally different snake.

SnuggleBuggles
04-06-2010, 04:49 PM
It just ticks me off that people will kill animals simply because they are afraid of them. Of all the things to be afraid of--people are the most dangerous. (e.g. bad drivers) As for animals to be afraid of--bunnies carry tons of diseases--but you don't see people chopping off rabbit heads because they are cute. Its about actual vs. perceived risk.

So, yes, I will call people on their fears when it means killing something as harmless as a snake. I have plenty of fears. I own up to them and I move forward--I'm terrified of swimming but I will be doing an open water triathalon this summer.

I wouldn't kill a snake. I get their value. But, I would find a way to have it removed from my yard.

Beth

gatorsmom
04-06-2010, 04:55 PM
hhhmmm... havn't read the other replies but knowing that the snakes eat our bounty of despicable mice we have living around here, I really like those snakes! Besides, it helps that we don't have too many poisonous ones around here and the ones that are poisonous are easily identifiable. When we lived in Texas, I was much more suspicious of any snake I came across.

StantonHyde
04-06-2010, 05:52 PM
We have rattlesnakes here--LOTS of them. I come across them all.the.time. when I am running trails. The only time I ever had a problem is when I almost stepped on a baby one. Otherwise, we leave each other alone. It is fairly easy to distinguish a gopher snake from a rattle snake AND gopher snakes keep rattlers away. (Ed Abbey "befriended" a gophersnake at his cabin in Arches NP because he knew it would keep the rattlers away) Growing up we had lots and lots of gopher snakes--they used to sun themselves on the path from the driveway to our house. We just walked around them and thanked them for killing all the mice in the barn. (in the winter, the coyotes did that job)

I don't know about cotton mouths or copperheads. I would say if I lived down south, my biggest fear would be alligators!! (but I would call for help, not step outside with my shotgun)

If I had a rattlesnake in my yard, I would call someone to remove it. Mind you, the #1 precursor to people getting bit by snakes is that they were trying to bother/kill the snake. So you are in greater danger trying to kill it than by leaving it alone and calling for help. And Australia is a whole other snake planet as far as I am concerned.....

Ceepa
04-06-2010, 06:09 PM
Growing up we let the pets "take care" of any wayward snakes that ventured into our yard. But if the pets weren't around a shovel came in handy.

Melanie
04-06-2010, 07:02 PM
I think I would run screaming in the opposite direction. I don't live "in nature," I live in the burbs. Though surrounded by rattlesnake-inhabiting mountains. Then I'd tried to call wildlife people or something to take it away. I wouldn't try to kill it b/c I'd have to get too close to it!

I used to work with a guy who had them often, as a child, in central california and said they'd catch them in a coffee can, and put them in the refridgerator. Then release them far away later. *shudder*

pb&j
04-06-2010, 07:21 PM
Are you talking about my reference to a King Brown snake? It's not here in the USA. It's only in Australia, and there are no rattle snakes in Australia. A King Brown snake is Pseudechis australis and is VERY venomous. It's one you would see the Crocodile Hunter telling you to not go anywhere near it if you saw one in the wild. It is not a King snake, totally different snake.

No, there's a King Snake here in the US that is non-venomous, and is immune to the venom of some venomous snakes and preys on them.

pb&j
04-06-2010, 07:24 PM

Respect for all living creatures and whatnot, especially the ones that won't harm you.

niccig
04-06-2010, 07:30 PM
No, there's a King Snake here in the US that is non-venomous, and is immune to the venom of some venomous snakes and preys on them.

Now that is a snake my Dad would want to have in the back yard. I don't know why Australia has so many venomous animals. Thankfully, you don't run into them on a daily basis, and given a wide berth, no one gets hurt. I do think that is why I'm so jumpy around snakes, as most that I've seen are venomous. If I only ever saw gopher or King snake, then I would probably be more at ease around them.

MelissaTC
04-06-2010, 07:40 PM
We leave the black and garden snakes alone. They eat the lizards, mice and toads. We have some dangerous snakes in the area but have never encountered any in our yard.

DrSally
04-06-2010, 08:21 PM
Kill kill kill is my policy.

:ROTFLMAO: We were playing in the yard last year and DS says, "Mommy, there's a snake". What? I went to look and there was a little gardner snake that then slithered away. I'd actually be too afraid to kill it myself. I just hoped it went away and wouldn't come back (and it didn't to my knowledge).

ETA: Venemous snakes are a whole nother matter. I'd prob call someone to take care of it. I'm so glad I live in an area wo/venemous snakes or spiders. Good to know that most injuries happen when bothering or trying to kill a snake.

ewpmsw
04-06-2010, 08:23 PM

JoyNChrist
04-06-2010, 08:36 PM
I don't know about cotton mouths or copperheads. I would say if I lived down south, my biggest fear would be alligators!! (but I would call for help, not step outside with my shotgun)

Lol! Alligator attacks are way more common in Florida...in Louisiana we have tons of them, but they're basically in the bayous and you don't have as many problems with them showing up in people's yards or swimming pools. But yeah...gators definitely warrant a call to animal control (although I know many rednecks down here who wouldn't bother, lol).

Snakes OTOH are a bigger problem...particularly water moccasins (which are venomous) with it being so wet around here, especially if you live near a creek or stream.

I will say that I was much more "snake tolerant" before I had a kid, and would take the time to identify what was in my yard before killing/removing it. But I just don't trust my 3-year-old to be able to tell the difference, so we've pretty much established a "snakes are bad" policy around here (being that there are several different varieties of venomous ones). Maybe once my kids are older I'll feel differently.

Twoboos
04-06-2010, 08:39 PM

I tried putting on my big girl panties, but then I dropped a load in them when I saw a snake, and had to throw them away.

I'm sorry but both of these made me lough out LOUD, and I mean loud. Jo, you actually made me snort (which helps keep snakes away...).

bluestar2
04-06-2010, 09:14 PM

:yeahthat: Snakes are quite fascinating creatures and there are very few venomous snakes in the US. Most are harmless and mind their own business. They have nothing to gain by messing with people. I leave them alone, even when they are rattlesnakes in my yard.

L'sMommy
04-06-2010, 09:38 PM
The *title* of this post makes my skin crawl!!!
Snakes?! Are you *SERIOUS*?!

What she said!!!! I cannot stand snakes, much less look at them!!!!

bubbaray
04-06-2010, 10:10 PM
I'm definitely in the "only good snake is a DEAD DEAD DEAD snake" camp. I've mountain biked over top of one and it scared the crap out of me. I'm completely petrified of snakes and if I ever found one, even a garter snake, in my yard, I would be up on the roof of my house pissing and crapping in my big girl panties.

I am completely phobic of snakes. I can't even look at photos of them (thanks for that, BTW). I don't give a hoot about "live and let live" when it comes to snakes. AFAIC, its me vs them and I intend on winning.

Edensmum
04-06-2010, 10:23 PM
I don't like the idea of running into a snake but I really fail to understand the mentality that, I don't like it = it should die.

fortato
04-06-2010, 11:21 PM
If I see it first, I'm ok with it....But, if it slithers in my path as I'm walking to get my strawberries, then I will pick it up... I will fling it in the street, I will get my car and run it over...twice.

BUT- if it's stalking a chipmunk...which I have yet to see one do... I will gladly leave it alone.

death to chipmunks.