PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for car seat and bed protectors

ucsf_med
04-06-2010, 04:41 PM
Any recommendations on what to put on a late third trimester pregnant woman's car seat and bed to protect against spontaneous "water breakage?"

cas
04-06-2010, 04:45 PM
If you have access to a hospital (I'm guessing from the name), you could just grab a couple of chucks from the hospital.

SnuggleBuggles
04-06-2010, 04:47 PM
Odds are so super duper low of that happening (less than 10%). Plus, it'd likely gush out when you stood up, not when you are sitting there. You could just try wearing a pad.

Beth

elektra
04-06-2010, 04:48 PM
I think I just sat on a towel in the car on the way to the hospital just in case. Pretty low tech!
I wasn't even worried about the bed though. We have a waterproof mattress cover though.

hobie
04-06-2010, 04:52 PM
You can use one of these http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=6773&parentCategoryId=85182&categoryId=85214
It's better than a full sized waterproof matress pad (they make me so hot, since they don't breathe).

brittone2
04-06-2010, 05:22 PM
My water broke in bed w/ my oldest. Just a trickle. Then I stood up and had a lot release. With all of my pregnancies I slept on a shower curtain (EVA, not PVC...target and Ikea are two companies that carry the EVA shower curtain liners, as does amazon.com, etc.). at the very end of the pregnancy (just over the mattress pad and under the sheets, but yes, this can get hot. My kids were all born in December through March, so it wasn't scorching hot out).

Water only broke before active labor started w/ my oldest though. With the other two it didn't rupture until the very end of labor.

I also kept a shower curtain and a towel in the passenger side of the car just in case. I did use that on the way to the hospital w/ my oldest...40 min drive and every time I had a contraction a good amount of fluid would gush out (and it wasn't going to be contained by a maxi pad or anything like that, it was a substantial amount of fluid).

hopeful_mama
04-06-2010, 05:36 PM
I went to Bed Bath & Beyond to look at waterproof mattress pads - they were expensive but next to them they had a smaller pad for $20 that I got instead (also used it postpartum in case I had any leaks). You could lay it over the car seat too, I imagine.

My water did actually break in bed, but I was mostly able to get to the bathroom before it leaked (it got all over the bathroom floor, and a little on the bedroom floor, but the bed was fine). Afterwards I tried overnight pads but I'd periodically get gushes that were too big for them - so I don't recommend relying on them, and frankly not sure if the waterproof pad or chucks would be enough for a gush. If you spend a lot of time in the car and are really worried about the carseat, you could put one of those waterproof sheets down, but also keep a big pile of towels in the car so if it did break you could pull over and put them underneath too.