PDA

View Full Version : s/o: Do you have a really solid bed that doesn't squeak?

elektra
04-06-2010, 06:01 PM
If so, what kind is it?
Our California King is a pillowtop mattress with a box spring, all sitting on top of a steel frame on wheels that Sit N Sleep (you're killing me Larry!) threw in as part of the deal. But something is squeaking like crazy and it's just getting worse. Like DD even makes it squeak when she climbs into bed with us and she is only 30 pounds! Imagine when DH and I sit down, much less do any other kind of moving around in bed.
I think it's the frame that is squeaky but maybe it's the box spring? Anyway we really need a new bed but it just hasn't been a priority but I want to make it one.
Before DS was born I was thinking I wanted to go solid wood, made in America $$$$ bed.
But the $$$$ really needs to be more like $. But I am really hesitant to go the IKEA route because of what I imagine would be a problematic squeak factor.
Any happy mediums out there?
Our decor is modern/ mid-century modern, although the actual bedroom is really not decorated at all.

(The Larry reference is a SoCal thing in case anyone is curious. If you get it you get it!)

hillview
04-06-2010, 08:09 PM
I have a wooden bed frame and a no box spring foam mattress. No noise at all.
/hillary

ewpmsw
04-06-2010, 08:16 PM
We have a really firm Serta that is about 2 years old. Box spring. Metal frame. Not a squeak.

citymama
04-06-2010, 08:18 PM
We have a solid cherry bed frame (gorgeous hardwood) that's about 75 years old and creaks like the dickens.

maylips
04-06-2010, 08:21 PM
We have a tempurpedic and it does not squeak. We also really like it, which is a bonus. :)

sunshine873
04-06-2010, 08:28 PM
Sleep Number bed here, no squeak. I really like my sleep number, but slept on a tempurpedic when we rented an apartment when DD was in NICU...if I had it to do over again, I'd get the tempurpedic.

niccig
04-06-2010, 08:35 PM
If so, what kind is it?
Our California King is a pillowtop mattress with a box spring, all sitting on top of a steel frame on wheels that Sit N Sleep (you're killing me Larry!) threw in as part of the deal. But something is squeaking like crazy and it's just getting worse.

(The Larry reference is a SoCal thing in case anyone is curious. If you get it you get it!)

We have the same set-up. We do have a wooden bedhead, but it's not attached to the bed or wall, just pushed up to the wall by the bed and it has a pillow jammed between it and the wall so that it doesn't bang the wall when the bed moves.

We don't have an squeaking...could it be the wheels? Are they in a locked position? Our bed is on carpet. Maybe you could try those bed risers on the wheels, so it doesn't move? If you like the bed, I would try and investigate the squeak a little more.

salsah
04-07-2010, 02:10 AM
we have an all wood sleigh bed. no squeaking unless the mattress is touching the head or foot board (it makes a noise when it rubs against it). our mattress is beauty rest -- one with the separate coils so that we don't feel each other roll over.

kijip
04-07-2010, 02:22 AM
We have a squeak free bed and the frame came from...IKEA. I don't think they sell it anymore but we bought the pricier slat kit that is a springy wood. The mattress is a nice pillowtop Sealy Posturepedic.

lowrioh
04-07-2010, 08:33 AM
We just got this bed from a store that sells Amish furniture.
http://cgi.ebay.com/King-Size-Raised-Panel-Bed-Red-Oak-Amish-Made-New_W0QQitemZ280393555514QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Bed s?hash=item4148c21e3a

It is super solid and doesn't squeak at all. We needed a sturdy bed because DH and I are big people and probably have a combined weight well over 450 lbs when I'm not pregnant. I was a bit wary of ordering online but I actually stopped in the B&M shop in PA and it was a nice store. I ordered when BCB on ebay was 20% so I really got a great deal. The seller wasn't great about communicating with me by email but when I called they were super friendly.