PDA

View Full Version : S/O: So which birth control methods DON'T lower your sex drive?

ourbabygirl
04-06-2010, 06:58 PM
I'm pregnant, but when this little one joins us I will be going back to birth control for quite a while... problem is, when I've used the pill or the patch (which I prefer for its ease of use), they both seemed to lower my already almost non-existent sex drive. Other than condoms (for DH) & NFP (which I'm clearly not too good with!), what can I use that WON'T lower my drive?

Thanks for your help! :)

SnuggleBuggles
04-06-2010, 07:19 PM
Well, anything with hormones has that potential. I have a copper IUD and no complaints with it. I haven't had any crazy long, heavy, painful periods with it but I also wasn't prone to them. I really love the non hormone IUD. You don't have to think about anything other than an occasional string check.

Beth

marit
04-06-2010, 07:32 PM
Well, anything with hormones has that potential. I have a copper IUD and no complaints with it. I haven't had any crazy long, heavy, painful periods with it but I also wasn't prone to them. I really love the non hormone IUD. You don't have to think about anything other than an occasional string check.

Beth
:yeahthat:

ewpmsw
04-06-2010, 08:06 PM
Also had the no-hormones IUD between having DD and trying for DC #2. Didn't impact the sex drive, but some periods were a lot heavier. Nice option for BFing moms.

JenaW
04-06-2010, 09:38 PM
Not trying to start a debate or be judgemental- but I did want to share some info. In the 2 mos since I've gone back to work as an obgyn pa I've had about 6 pts tell me they did not realize that the non-hormonal iud (paragard) does not prevent ovulation. The exact mechanism of contraception is not fully understood (even the package insert and prescribing info admit this) but theories include: preventing implantation of a fertilized embryo, killing sperm, altering cervical mucus to prevent/decrease passage of sperm. If you do not feel that life begins as soon as the egg is fertilized, than this may be a non-issue for you. But I actually have had some pts request that their IUDs be removed because they were upset about the potential for an unknown pregnancy being disrupted. One of these woman just had hers inserted last month, making it a very expensive month for her with the cost of he iud and insertion only to have it removed. Again, NOT preaching or passing judgement, but just to share what I know.

daisymommy
04-06-2010, 09:48 PM
Thank-you for sharing and educating Jena :) I don't think many GYNs do enough of that (hence the number of patients you have had who are just now finding out this information from you).

Other options include a diaphragm, gel/foam inserts...and that's about it unfortunately.

We are in a real pickle here trying to figure out what to do now that we are on the fence about whether we want anymore children. When we only had 2 and knew that we wanted a third, it was easier to use NFP and say if I were to get pregnant it was totally fine. Now with 3 children, one of whom is only 7 months old, it's not exactly on the top of my list for right now.
I must add that for us, NFP worked perfectly for nearly 3 years, and then we decided to try for baby #3, and got pregnant on the first try :) With babies 1 and #2, after being birth control for so many years, it took 2 years of trying with both of them to get pregnant.

ourbabygirl
04-06-2010, 09:48 PM
And thanks, JenaW, for the additional info.- I totally appreciate that, especially from a medical professional! I had thought about that and that's part of why I went off the pill and patch before, however NFP hasn't been exact enough for me (though I should probably learn more about it before ruling it out completely). ;) I had wondered if that's the case with IUDs and such. So are abstinence and a physical barrier (method) basically the only ways to prevent the fertilization of the egg?

And that's exactly what I thought with #2, daisymommy, which led to this pregnancy. Not sure how I'll feel about a #3 or beyond...

edurnemk
04-06-2010, 11:28 PM
For those willing to give NFP a try, I used this for several years.
http://www.lady-comp.de/en/natural-birth-control/contraception-without-side-effects
(You can get it in the US at http://www.raxmedical.com/ )

It's supposed to be 99.3% effective if used correctly, it requires discipline, but once I got used to it, it became part of my morning rutine and wasn't a hassle at all.
I'm planning to start using it again next month since I went on the BCP for a while at DH's request (he was finishing FT Grad school and it took him over 6 months to get a job after graduating, so he wanted a more tangible BC method). I really don't want to take the BCP anymore, since it really kills my sex drive, I feel tired all the time, and it gives me migraines.

lalasmama
04-07-2010, 12:33 PM
TMI ALERT!

When I needed BC in the past, I used a diaphragm. I liked it, XH did not. Pros: Invisible once in place. Uses spermicide, so its kind of a 2-for-1: a barrier and a chemical agent! No hormones. Only used when needed. I could never "feel" it once placed correctly. Cons: Needs to be fitted. Gotta get pretty "intimate" with yourself to put it in and take it out. Uses spermicide, so things can get a little... ummmm... "slick" IYKWIM ;) Somewhere around 85% effective, depending on proper usage (typical usage is 85% effective, perfect usage is in the 90s). Since its in you, if partner doesn't use a condom, you have to deal with an ewwie-gooey mess the morning after... Oh, and XH refused to perform certain activities during foreplay, citing the taste of the spermicide.

swrc00
04-07-2010, 12:44 PM
I recently had a discussion with my OB about the pill and sex drive. She suggested switching to a different brand. I have switched to Junel with iron and it has made a world of difference. Let's just say I used to be in "the another month has gone by category" and have moved to 2x per week.

sariana
04-07-2010, 02:26 PM
If you have a low sex drive to begin with, NFP may not be the best option for you regardless of its effectiveness or lack thereof. You probably want something that will allow you spontaneity. If you have to avoid certain times of the month and track mucus and temperatures and whatever else is involved, that doesn't allow for as much "fun."

You really need to decide how "dire" another pregnancy would be. If you're okay with the possibility of BC failure, something like the diaphragm might be your best bet. An IUD also would be ideal if you are okay with the moral aspects of it, but it sounds as though you are not keen on that.

Otherwise your best option is something permanent, and it sounds as though you definitely are not ready for that.

I agree with PP that you should talk to your doctor about trying a different brand of the Pill. And even though the Pill CAN work by preventing implantation of the fertilized egg, it usually stops the process much earlier than that, preventing fertilization in the first place. Used in combination with a barrier method, it may be your best option if you are concerned about the "life begins at conception" issue but are willing to rely on it as a back-up, knowing that the chances of rejecting a fertilized egg are very small.