PDA

View Full Version : Chasing Fireflies - no no no.

Twoboos
04-06-2010, 08:36 PM
Little girl in rose-covered triangle bikini top on the cover has officially skeeved me out. No, no, NO.

http://www.chasing-fireflies.com/rose-petal-skirtini/productinfo/30211/

Ugh, looks like it's time for a Tasteless Little Girl Bathing Suit thread? (I know, there are more offensive ones out there!)

marie
04-06-2010, 08:43 PM
OMG! I had the same thought when I pulled it out of the mailbox today. In fact, I didn't even do a "courtesy" flip-through of it because of that cover. Straight to the recycling - didn't want DDs to see it.

ick ick ick

WatchingThemGrow
04-06-2010, 08:45 PM
:thumbsdown: so sad!

newg
04-06-2010, 08:48 PM
ewwwwwww!! Is she trying to be a VS swim suit model already?????? Let little girls be little girls for as long as possible............ I can understand the need for a 2-piece.........but not that one.

Momof3Labs
04-06-2010, 08:51 PM
I've also been horrified at the skimpy bikinis they sell in girls' (and baby) sizes.

Reminds me of Boden - they permanently lost me as a customer several years back when they sold a t-shirt in boys' sizes (4, 6, etc) with a handgun on it.

sunshine873
04-06-2010, 08:52 PM
Yeah, I always thought it was wrong to put little girl's in 2 pieces. Now that I have DD I totally understand why people do it (changing diapers!!!) But come on...that is wrong, just wrong.

randomkid
04-06-2010, 09:02 PM
I find these much more offensive http://www.babikini.com/
They were actually selling these in the gift shop of our CHRISTIAN hospital. I didn't see them, but a co-worker (also a Mom) told me about them. She complained, saying they were inappropriate. She went back a couple of weeks later and they were gone. She asked about them and was told that there were too many complaints so they were taken out of the store. I was curious, so went online at work to see them. The home page popped up, then suddenly it was blocked! How ironic - they were selling these things in their gift shop, but the website was blocked by their system!

maylips
04-06-2010, 09:08 PM
And it's priced like a grown-up bikini too!

elizabethkott
04-06-2010, 09:12 PM
Yucky, yucky, YUCK!!!!!
1. What designer thinks this is a good idea?
2. What parental unit pays that kind of money for THAT on their precious little princess?
3. And people wonder why junior high school girls are prancing around in prostitot costumes every Halloween?
Puh-leeze.

ewpmsw
04-06-2010, 09:14 PM
I don't plan to put my DD's in skimpy stuff, but expect we'll probably see lots of it this summer. Oh, well. Everyone has different ideas of what is cute and appropriate.

Personally, I think $40 for the cute flower towel next to the bikini pic was obscene.

fortato
04-06-2010, 09:34 PM
Yucky, yucky, YUCK!!!!!
1. What designer thinks this is a good idea?
2. What parental unit pays that kind of money for THAT on their precious little princess?
3. And people wonder why junior high school girls are prancing around in prostitot costumes every Halloween?
Puh-leeze.

I'm sure it's the same designer that thinks low rise pants are good on a little girl...

DrSally
04-06-2010, 09:35 PM
Ewwwww. Not right

tarahsolazy
04-06-2010, 09:51 PM
I'm sure it's the same designer that thinks low rise pants are good on a little girl...

Yeah, you know, because four inches of diaper sticking out of your pants is a good look. That's a huge pet peeve of mine.

MissyAg94
04-06-2010, 10:07 PM
Why? Why are we sexualizing our little girls?

MamaMolly
04-06-2010, 10:13 PM
Ewwwwww! Ick, ick, ick. Hoochie tots. Barf, barf, barf.

In case anyone is looking, I just picked up two very nice Speedo tankinis at Costco for about $11/ea. One with butterflies, one with a sporty stripe. All the ease of a 2 piece and all the modesty of a tank.

Twoboos
04-06-2010, 10:33 PM
Yep, it's GROSS!!

I got tankini's from gymbo... imagine, a two piece that covers almost as much as a one piece! There couldn't possibly be a market for this. <eyeroll>

BTW - Randomkid, you win the prize. The baby model on the front page of that site sends chills down my spine. Horrifying.

cdlamis
04-06-2010, 11:07 PM
Expecting flames here but am I the only one who doesn't see a big deal with bikinis? The one mentioned is cute (could have been cuter as a tankini). I don't buy them for my DDs only because they don't stay on well but other than that, i think they're fine. I buy tankinis instead.

I don't see these as sexualizing girls AT ALL. Maybe its because I spent most of my summers in Brazil where the body wasn't meant to be covered at the beach/pool.
Just my opinion though.

SnuggleBuggles
04-06-2010, 11:11 PM
Expecting flames here but am I the only one who doesn't see a big deal with bikinis? The one mentioned is cute (could have been cuter as a tankini). I don't buy them for my DDs only because they don't stay on well but other than that, i think they're fine. I buy tankinis instead.

I don't see these as sexualizing girls AT ALL. Maybe its because I spent most of my summers in Brazil where the body wasn't meant to be covered at the beach/pool.
Just my opinion though.

Maybe because I have boys but I don't really feel strongly against bikinis like this. I don't love the picture in the OP because she is all done up pageant style with the hair and it's not my favorite bathing suit but it really doesn't seem inappropriate. I doubt I'd buy simply because I prefer rash guards and coverage for sun safety.

Boy mom butting out though.

Beth

gatorsmom
04-06-2010, 11:38 PM
Just my opinion though.

I think there is a difference, though, between letting children run around naked and natural and dressing them in skimpy, adult-like outfits. I think the problem I have is that this child is being sexualized in what appears to be a bikini I'd find in Victoria's Secret. Her bottoms look like something I'd expect to find in a thong style bikini bottom. And the top with all the flounces draws attention to her chest.

FWIW, I am fine with babies and toddlers running around naked and free on a beach. But drawing attention to their undeveloped genitals and dressing them like adults is just fodder for pedophiles in my very humble opinion.

ETA: not flaming anyone here just giving my conservative, Midwestern opinion.

jjjo1112
04-06-2010, 11:38 PM
I also don't think it's that bad. My DDs wear tankinis but mostly for the sun coverage-not because I think bikinis are inappropriate for little girls. I guess I feel like they are just kids no matter what they are wearing.

MamaMolly
04-06-2010, 11:48 PM

Just my opinion though.

No flames. FWIW I live overseas and see lots of little girls and boys wearing nothing but bikini bottoms. I don't see it as sexy at all. Natural little bodies are cute!

But I think the styling of the model in the OP is the problem I have, and that the ruffles add a breast-like dimension to her chest that is just inappropriate to me. And you are totally right, bikini tops don't stay on active little kids. So if it isn't functional, then what is the point? IMO it must be the way it looks. And the way this one looks sends up red flags for me. That said, it is JMO. :)

essnce629
04-07-2010, 12:55 AM
OMG, did you see the "model gallery" on the babi-kini website!!!

http://www.babikini.com/pages/modelgallery.htm

WTH?????????

JoyNChrist
04-07-2010, 01:06 AM

WTH?????????

Ew! That first picture, of the itty bitty baby with the string bikini, seriously skeeves me out. It just looks so...wrong. :nodno:

As a boy mom, I don't know how I really feel about bikinis on little girls. For one thing, I don't think they provide enough sun protection (my son doesn't go to the beach/pool in just his bottoms - we use a rash guard). For another, I feel like covering up the breast/nipple area actually draws more attention to it...I don't think I'd look twice at a 2 year old boy or girl in just a swim diaper, but something about purposefully covering up the breasts seems to sexualize them in a way. Like if they're not sexual and don't need to be covered up, why specifically tailor the garment so that it covers just that area? I don't know...it's hard for me to put into words what I'm thinking here.

But assuming one of these babies is a girl like the doctor thinks, I have a while before I have to really think about this. No Babikinis for us. ;)

funda62
04-07-2010, 04:12 AM
Yuck is right. I love two pieces for myself even to make bathroom trips easier since spend the entire day at the pool but I make sleeved tops and biker shorts so that we are protected from the sun too. Those others I would worry about baby getting burned.

Melaine
04-07-2010, 06:47 AM
I think there is a difference, though, between letting children run around naked and natural and dressing them in skimpy, adult-like outfits. I think the problem I have is that this child is being sexualized in what appears to be a bikini I'd find in Victoria's Secret. Her bottoms look like something I'd expect to find in a thong style bikini bottom. And the top with all the flounces draws attention to her chest.

FWIW, I am fine with babies and toddlers running around naked and free on a beach. But drawing attention to their undeveloped genitals and dressing them like adults is just fodder for pedophiles in my very humble opinion.

:yeahthat: ITA with this. My conservative, Southern opinion lines right up.

Melaine
04-07-2010, 06:48 AM

WTH?????????

Wow. That's disturbing. Have these parents never heard of pedophiles?

mommy111
04-07-2010, 07:02 AM
:yeahthat: As does my liberal East Coast opinion :)

mamicka
04-07-2010, 08:11 AM

I guess I agree with both. I'm quite conservative also from the Midwest but my parents are European. I wore bikinis similar to the one linked in the OP when I was a toddler, so it doesn't make me cringe. However, I definitely would be not comfortable putting my child in something like that these days because there are creepy people out there. So I see how it's creepy & not necessarily appropriate today but I don't think that it's a given that parents who do put there kids in these things are wanting them sexualized. IOW, it isn't the same as low-rise pants & such IMO.

JTsMom
04-07-2010, 08:55 AM
So disturbing. :nodno:

VClute
04-07-2010, 09:06 AM
Wow. That's disturbing. Have these parents never heard of pedophiles?

Yep - That looks SERIOUSLY wrong. I would love to know who the owner of this company is. My guess? A creepy old dude.

ETA: I don't find the Chasing Fireflies one nearly as disturbing...

calv
04-07-2010, 09:12 AM
Good GAWD! No wonder no little girl actually looks like a LITTLE girl. Setting the tone for our teens already! YUCK. I swear so many of the teens look like they're in the late 20's already. SCARY

Leeannpk
04-07-2010, 09:13 AM
I was a little surprised when I clicked on the Chasing Fireflies link, because I actually don't think it's that bad. No worse than this one from Gymboree, IMO: http://www.gymboree.com/shop/dept_item.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524445985841&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374306253176&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395917465&bmUID=1270645850355&productSizeSelected=0&fit_type=

I don't think it can be put in the same category as the Babikinis (which, FTR, are AWFUL and disturbing.) It doesn't really look like an adult bikini, save for the triangle top. I think the roses and skirt make it look very childish. I wouldn't buy it for one of my girls, but that's because it is completely impractical. We don't do bikinis because they don't provide nearly enough sun protection and they're not comfortable to play in! Plus, for $54, I could buy TWO Land's End suits.

I was interested to see a few moms say that skimpy bikinis might attracted pedophiles. Pedophilia is characterized by a sexual attraction to children, particularly those who have not hit puberty. Kids dressed skimpier, more adult-like clothes are typically a TURN OFF to a pedophile. They like their victims to look as childish as possible, not like little adults.

boolady
04-07-2010, 09:40 AM
I think of myself as pretty conservative when it comes to clothing, but really don't have a problem with all bikinis on the very young. In fact, I have always thought babies and younger girls could pull off appropriate bikinis better than 6-7-8 year olds where it could start, through no fault of their own, of course, to look sexual. And, I agree that I would never buy the Chasing Fireflies one or those nasty babykinis with the string bottoms.

You all have me wondering now...I got DD this Janie and Jack bikini on clearance and thought that the gingham fabric and bows made it youthful and just cute and perfect for her potty training years. She wore it once or twice last year, and it will definitely still fit this year, but now I'm wondering if it looks skeevy or inappropriate. Honest thoughts?

mamicka
04-07-2010, 09:43 AM
I think of myself as pretty conservative when it comes to clothing, but really don't have a problem with all bikinis on the very young. In fact, I have always thought babies and younger girls could pull off appropriate bikinis better than 6-7-8 year olds where it could start, through no fault of their own, of course, to look sexual. And, I agree that I would never buy the Chasing Fireflies one or those nasty babykinis with the string bottoms.

You all have me wondering now...I got DD this Janie and Jack bikini on clearance and thought that the gingham fabric and bows made it youthful and just cute and perfect for her potty training years. She wore it once or twice last year, and it will definitely still fit this year, but now I'm wondering if it looks skeevy or inappropriate. Honest thoughts?

I think it's adorable & not in any way suggestive. But despite my ultra-conservatism in most areas, clearly I'm not ultra-conservative here, LOL! I really like it.

MamaMolly
04-07-2010, 09:50 AM
....snip.... I make sleeved tops and biker shorts so that we are protected from the sun too. Those others I would worry about baby getting burned.

You make them? Wow! I'd love to know how. They are so stinking expensive, I bet making them would be such a savings! Care to share how? :popc1:

JoyNChrist
04-07-2010, 10:17 AM

And my liberal Southern opinion. ;)

Twoboos
04-07-2010, 10:23 AM
Commenting on the gymbo and Janie & Jack suits. Somehow I truly think those are different, they don't bother me as much. (I know, it's a fine line that is unexplainable that runs in my head, LOL.) But it's the triangle top with all the fluffy flowers that is bugging me. I do not think the Gymbo/J&J tops are like that. Yes, I know how similar they are. Plus the gymbo one goes up to size 3T, while the CF one goes to 6x - I cannot imagine my 6yo in that!!

HannaAddict
04-07-2010, 04:23 PM
I have the CF catalog and didn't think twice about the bikini. It didn't seem to sexualize the model or seem creepy to me, a cute pink suit with roses and skirt bottom. I didn't look at the other site referenced, it sounds like a totally different thing altogether. I remember my mom making me a lavender gingham bikini (triangle top) and rumba pant bottoms (bikini bottoms with flounces on the behind) and thinking I was all that and more. It didn't make me grow up any faster, still a gawky late bloomer! I had to be under five, probably four since I wore it to swim lessons. The size doesn't matter to me, since I have tall kiddos who are at least one or more sizes ahead of their age. I do think it is a different world and kids are more sophisticated, mature and that isn't such a good thing on many fronts. But the bikini on CF was cute and didn't bother me at all.

MartiesMom2B
04-07-2010, 05:37 PM
I didn't think twice about the bikini either. I'm not a fan of skimpy bikinis due to lack of sun coverage but it does look like something that I would probably see around the pools by me. I wouldn't compare that to a Sports Illustrated cover. You could always go completely opposite and get some wholesome wear bathing suits. http://www.wholesomewear.com/page-4.html

Twoboos
04-07-2010, 05:47 PM
You could always go completely opposite and get some wholesome wear bathing suits. http://www.wholesomewear.com/page-4.html

I'm sorry, but I am not getting those without the ruffled bloomers and a parasol! :rotflmao:

MartiesMom2B
04-07-2010, 05:50 PM
I'm sorry, but I am not getting those without the ruffled bloomers and a parasol! :rotflmao:

I'm here wondering how I can convince my daughters that those are cool when they become teenagers.

Melanie
04-11-2010, 06:08 PM
Little girl in rose-covered triangle bikini top on the cover has officially skeeved me out. No, no, NO.

http://www.chasing-fireflies.com/rose-petal-skirtini/productinfo/30211/

That's funny, I just pointed it out to Dh this AM and said the same thing.

I don't do any bikinis for my Dd, but somehow the Gymbo and JJ ones linked, are just more childlike. I think it's the 'triangle' tops that make me think they're too old for little girls.

Melanie
04-11-2010, 06:09 PM
Reminds me of Boden - they permanently lost me as a customer several years back when they sold a t-shirt in boys' sizes (4, 6, etc) with a handgun on it.

Off Topic, but FWIW they sent out an apology email and immediately pulled the shirt from their shop, after getting a backlash from customers.

ilfaith
04-11-2010, 06:58 PM
You could always go completely opposite and get some wholesome wear bathing suits. http://www.wholesomewear.com/page-4.html

And if those aren't modest enough...they come in "extended" styles where the sleeves end just above the wrists and the legs come to mid calf.

randomkid
04-12-2010, 11:21 AM

OK, how did you know about these? Are these for Menonites or some other religious group? I had no idea something like this even existed. Makes sense though with some of the ultra conservative groups that are around.

ETA: And they are not cheap!

Carrots
04-12-2010, 11:38 AM
http://www.wholesomewear.com/page-4.html

:ROTFLMAO: Holy cow. This is so funny. (in the process of emailing this site to all my friends)