PDA

View Full Version : Banana Bread Recipes?

Indianamom2
04-06-2010, 08:48 PM
I'm in need of a milk-free banana bread recipe. I don't have a bread maker (don't even know if banana bread would ever be made in one!) and I have never made a from-scratch bread, that I can recall, so the easier the better.

Bring the recipes on!

ehlana06
04-06-2010, 09:00 PM
I made this yesterday actually. It's very simple and turns out rather yummy!

Banana Nut Bread

3 ripe banannas, well mashed
2 eggs well beaten
2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (opional) *i actually prefer pacans*

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a loaf pan. Mix the bananas and eggs together in a large bowl. Stir in the flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda. Add the walnuts and blend. Put the batter in the pan and bake for 1 hour. Remove from the pan to a rack. Serve still warm or cooled, as you like it. :D

Indianamom2
04-06-2010, 09:04 PM

Banana Nut Bread

2 eggs well beaten
2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a loaf pan. Mix the bananas and eggs together in a large bowl. Stir in the flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda. Add the walnuts and blend. Put the batter in the pan and bake for 1 hour. Remove from the pan to a rack. Serve still warm or cooled, as you like it. :D

Thanks! I can handle that!

nfceagles
04-06-2010, 09:25 PM
This is my favorite recipe. It's milk and egg free. I found it after DS was diagnosed with allergies, but I wouldn't make it any differently if he outgrew his allergies tomorrow. I usually add a tsp of vanilla that's not listed in the recipe.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Banana-Bread-VIII/Detail.aspx

bubbaray
04-06-2010, 09:37 PM
I highly recommend this cookbook, I really like the banana bread in it: http://www.dairyfreeeggfreekidpleasingcookbook.com/

julevizamom
04-06-2010, 09:38 PM

Banana Nut Bread

2 eggs well beaten
2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda

My recipe is very similar but I reduce the sugar to 1/2 cup (that's more than enough, esp. if you use super ripe bananas -- i.e. the blacker the better!), and use whole wheat flour. It comes out just as yummy, and a smidge healthier!

Hippoharbor
08-24-2011, 08:42 PM

Banana Nut Bread

2 eggs well beaten
2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda

I came upon this recipe during a search for an "easy" banana bread recipe. Most of the others on this site require more ingredients, including oil. Is this recipe listed above complete; i.e. does anyone else use a bread recipe and not include oil/applesauce?

Also, when the instructions say to 'mix' and 'stir', is that using a whisk or a mixer? If a mixer, what speed and for how long? Sorry....I really NEVER bake, but DS has been asking me to make banana bread. Any useful tips for first-timers?

Thanks.

Tondi G
08-25-2011, 02:54 AM
I have always mixed my banana bread by hand .... you don't want to over mix.

Melanie
08-25-2011, 03:14 AM
(I don't use a mixer on "fruit" or vegetable breads. I hear overmixing makes them heavier.)

3 ripe bananas
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup sweetener
3/4 cup chopped dates
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda

preheat oven to 375
In a small bowl, mash the bananas with a fork until very mushy, then add the lemon juice, oil, sweetener, and dates and stir together. In a seperate large bowl mix the dry rest ingredients. Add the wet to dry and mix until just mixed. Spoon into a lightly oiled loaf pan and bake 40-50 minutes. Test with knife to make sure its done.

Dates are optional...sometimes I put in chocolate chips instead.

sariana
08-25-2011, 03:29 AM

Banana Nut Bread

2 eggs well beaten
2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda

This sounds similar to the recipe I use. I always omit the nuts; I don't like nuts in my sweets. The bread is really good.

I don't think I've ever seen a banana bread recipe with milk in it.

jerigirl
08-25-2011, 10:49 AM
We like this Banana "snack" cake from Quick Cooking. It is poured into a cake pan vs. a loaf pan.
http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Banana-Snack-Cake-2

Hippoharbor
08-25-2011, 12:45 PM
Again, all other recipes I have seen call for oil, whereas the one here does not. Any thoughts?

Also, if you do not use a hand mixer to mix, what do you use to mix all the ingredients, a whisk or fork?

Thanks

sariana
08-25-2011, 12:54 PM
When I make banana bread, I mix with a wooden spoon.

joules
08-25-2011, 02:09 PM
Usually banana bread is on the wetter side b/c of the bananas. I don't *think* leaving out the oil will make it too dry.

Here's a recipe I've been meaning to try but haven't gotten around to it. It uses prunes instead of butter/oil and no sugar (but chocolate chips):

Brad and Lisa Walsh wanted the Chocolate Banana Bread recipe from the Rancho La Puerta spa. This dense, quick loaf gets its rich taste not from butter but from pureed prunes.
Chocolate Banana Bread
Makes 1 loaf (20 slices)
12 ounces pitted prunes (see note)
3/4 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 medium)
2 large eggs
1 cup all-purpose flour or whole-wheat pastry flour (or 12 cup each)
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup banana chips, coarsely chopped
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
In a small saucepan, bring prunes and 2 cups water to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until prunes are very soft, about 20 minutes. Drain.
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly butter a 5-by-9-inch loaf pan and line bottom with a piece of parchment paper cut to fit.
In a food processor, whirl prunes and bananas until very smooth. Add eggs and whirl to combine.
In a large bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, cinnamon and baking soda. Stir in banana mixture until evenly moistened. Stir in nuts, banana chips and chocolate chips. Scrape the batter into prepared pan and spread level.
Bake bread until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out a little chocolaty but not gooey, 45 to 50 minutes. Loosen bread from pan with a knife and invert onto a rack. Remove parchment. Turn bread right side up and let cool at least 1 hour before slicing.
Note: You can substitute 12 ounces (11/2 cups) unsweetened prune baby food for the pitted prunes, and omit water and cooking in the first step.
Per slice: 174 calories, 3.5 g protein, 7.9 g fat, 27 g carbohydrate, 3.2 g fiber, 153 mg sodium, 21 mg cholesterol.
(Adapted from “Cooking With the Seasons at Rancho La Puerta” by Deborah Szekely and Deborah M. Schneider, Stewart, Tabori & Chang)