PDA

View Full Version : Why are my lips still so chapped and peeling?

gatorsmom
04-07-2010, 12:46 AM
In January my lips started to get chapped. And despite using every product under the sun, I haven't yet gotten them to stop peeling. They aren't cracked, it's the area around my lips that are flaky and peeling. I constantly apply stuff to them and have a humidifyer going in my room. I've tried plain old Vaseline, used up a tube of Vaseline lip stuff, used up an entire tube of Aveda Lip Saver, went through several Dr. Bronner's lip sticks, and for the past 2 weeks am applying Lansinoh Lanolin nonstop. It hasn't helped. It wears off and is right away red, itchy and flaky. Gator has the same problem but no one else in the house.

Anyone else manage to fight something like this? Could this be something else other than dry lips? Any suggestions are helpful!

JoyNChrist
04-07-2010, 01:19 AM
Is it possible you've developed an allergy to something you use on/around your mouth (toothpaste, lipstick, etc)?

When I get chronic dry lips, I use this stuff (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350334272446&rvr_id=&crlp=1_263602_263622&UA=M*S%3F&GUID=2aed56e01230a09c1a167766fff0fb69&itemid=350334272446&ff4=263602_263622). It's a lip peel that you use first, then a balm that you put on afterwards. It's really good at removing all the dead skin and I've always had good success with it.

(Oh, and I just linked to the first one I found...I have no idea if that eBay seller is good or not. My aunt used to sell BeautiControl so I have a drawer full of it.)

sariana
04-07-2010, 01:31 AM
Could it be fungal? Sometimes I get fungal infections in the corners of my mouth. Lip products have no effect (other than maybe soothing it briefly). When it happens, opening my mouth is painful because the sores crack every time. I have always just waited for it to run its course, so I don't know if there is a treatment.

I agree with JoyNChrist that it could also be an allergy. It could even be to one of DC's products, if you are the kissing type. Kiss the kids' hair, allergic to their shampoo, voila. Allergic reaction.

No matter what, it's no fun. I hope you find something that works for you.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
04-07-2010, 01:37 AM
Jojoba oil is my HG. Might work?

Kymberley
04-07-2010, 08:26 AM
I'm having the same issue. I put Aquaphor on my lips every night. Mine seem to have calmed down today...*knocks on wood*.

jerigirl
04-07-2010, 11:04 AM
You might consider going to a Dermatologist or start with your GP. My MIL has had something similar going on for a while and has been prescribed some sort of ointment for it. Her derm calls it "clown lips".

DrSally
04-07-2010, 11:12 AM
Mine get (roughness/puffiness that doesn't heal) like that when I've had an allergic reaction to something in a lipbalm/lipstick or lotion. The usual culprit is a chemical sunscreen that I'm allergic to. They hide in facial products, sometimes at low concentrations. I might try putting a very thin layer of otc hydrocortisone under aquphor and see if that helps. The doc told me it was ok to put on lips temporarily.

DebbieJ
04-07-2010, 11:23 AM
are you hydrated enough? Do you drink enough water?

Tondi G
04-07-2010, 11:39 AM
drink tons of water. I use this lip balm and it works great for me! Karite Lips Shea Balm
http://www.amazon.com/Mode-De-Vie-Karite-Lips/dp/B0006NXS28

you could also try a thin layer of neosporin and then cover with Aquaphor and see if that'll help.

misshollygolightly
04-07-2010, 01:14 PM
I battled something similar last year. Oddly, it seemed to fade away after I stopped breastfeeding, so I thought it might be related to that in some way--postpartum and nursing hormones are pretty crazy. Anyway, I found that constant application of high-quality lip balm, really increasing my water intake, and taking a B-complex vitamin every day helped. My dad is a doctor and recommended the B-complex vitamin as deficiencies in that vitamin can cause chapped/flaky lips and cracked/raw skin around the mouth and lips. I also just applied olive oil to them whenever I could. Things did heal, finally! And it's never gotten so bad again since I stopped nursing...though I do try to bust out the chapstick at the first sign of dryness just in case!

jillmk
04-07-2010, 01:50 PM
I've heard that Neosporin LT works great for chapped lips!

aa2mama
04-07-2010, 04:23 PM
I would suspect either a fungal infection or an allergic reaction to something you are using. I am allergic to most drugstore toothpastes. When I use them, I get painful cracks in the corners of my mouth. I also have gotten peeling lips from one brand of lipstick.

I like Jason Powersmile toothpaste best, but I haven't had reactions from any of the healthfood store toothpastes. It might be worth switching to see if it helps.

DrSally
04-07-2010, 04:42 PM
I would suspect either a fungal infection or an allergic reaction to something you are using. I am allergic to most drugstore toothpastes. When I use them, I get painful cracks in the corners of my mouth. I also have gotten peeling lips from one brand of lipstick.

I like Jason Powersmile toothpaste best, but I haven't had reactions from any of the healthfood store toothpastes. It might be worth switching to see if it helps.

Lisa, any chance you have a sensitivity to SLS in toothpaste?

MaiseyDog
04-07-2010, 10:57 PM
I had a similar reaction to Crest Pro-Health toothpaste. I've never had a problem with other types of toothpaste.

zephyr
04-07-2010, 11:57 PM
I use organic coconut oil. It is hard but will soften once put on skin. HTH.

MontrealMum
04-08-2010, 01:10 AM
Quite a few years ago I developed "chapped" lips that would not go away no matter what I tried. Thought nothing of it, I'm allergic to tons of things, have eczema, sensitive skin, etc. etc. Then I talked to my BFF who has very few skin problems and reactions and she had the same problem. Turned out we were both wearing MAC lipstick. (not that MAC specifically is the culprit!) Are you wearing lipstick/gloss/balm? I've found since then that I've really got to be careful about what I put on my lips and the particular ingredients. I've also had similar reactions to certain brands of toothpaste. Look over what you're using in the lip area, the ingredients, etc.