PDA

View Full Version : Name Question: Emmeline

ebjw
04-07-2010, 05:57 PM
I have a few questions for this name that I am loving right now...

1. Do YOU pronounce it Em-ma-LINE, Em-ma-LEEN or Em-ma-LYN?
Em-ma-LINE is what we would use.

2. Can Emmeline be a sister to Annabelle, or is there something about them both being kind of compound names, or both 3 syllables, that causes them not to work together?

3. Should the popularity of Emma and Emily scare me off this name, or is it unique enough to stand on its own without drowning in the sea of Emmas and Emilys?

wellyes
04-07-2010, 06:03 PM
I like it ! I wouldn't hesitate to use it.
I say Emma-Line
Emmeline and Annebelle is a very nice combo

deborah_r
04-07-2010, 06:05 PM
I pronounced it Em-ma-LEEN in my head when I was reading it.

momof2girls
04-07-2010, 06:09 PM
My first instict was to pronounce it EmmiLINE, like the difference between Madelyn and Madeline

Ceepa
04-07-2010, 06:14 PM
I would pronouce it Emma-line.

My immediate thought was the novel "The Thirteenth Tale" by Diane Setterfield.

DietCokeLover
04-07-2010, 06:15 PM
I pronounced it as Emma-lynn in my head.

I think that's a lovely name. There's a character on the show Army Wives with that name and I thought it was beautiful when I first heard it.

JBaxter
04-07-2010, 06:17 PM
The neighborhood girl pronounces her Emme -Line

sewarsh
04-07-2010, 06:18 PM
1. Em-ma-LINE
2. a BIT hard to roll off the tongue at first, but who cares. as long as you like it.
3. no, i personally love Emma common or not.

slworld
04-07-2010, 06:39 PM
I say Emma-Line

:yeahthat:

LMPC
04-07-2010, 06:41 PM
As I was reading your post, I said Emma-LEEN in my head. But I like Emma-LINE too. What a nice name....very sweet sounding.

KpbS
04-07-2010, 06:49 PM
Emma-LINE. I like the name but I'm not sure that I like the pairing w/ Annabelle. Does your other DD go by a nickname ever or would you be calling them both by their full names, Annabelle, Emmeline?

mamicka
04-07-2010, 06:51 PM
Love it & it reminds me of Anne of Green Gables. Or is it Anne of Avonlea?

Either way, lovely name & pairs well with Annabelle.

ged
04-07-2010, 07:01 PM
I say emma-lynn...that's what I call my friend who has that name. I think others do call her emma-line though. I usually just call her "emm." great name!

Tondi G
04-07-2010, 07:07 PM
when I read it out I read it Emma-LINE. I like it... and I love Emma and Emily too, popular or not! Sounds fine with a sister Annabelle.

fumofu
04-07-2010, 07:56 PM
I would say Em-ma-LEEN. There is something about compound/3-syllable sibling names. But I really like Emmeline. Also wouldn't be a problem if you do nicknames, like Emme (Em-MEE). I had a friend named Emily in high school and somehow I would call her Emi.

KrisM
04-07-2010, 07:57 PM
I'd say it Emmy LEEN. I'd make the "e" an "e" sound, not an "ah" sound.

TwinFoxes
04-07-2010, 07:58 PM
!. Emma-leen I wonder if this is regional? I grew up in California, and to me Emma-line sounds Southern. Which isn't bad, I just would never have looked at that name and thought Emma-line. Or Emma-lynn for that matter, but I'd probably come up with Emma-lynn before Emma-line.

2. They are a mouthful, but eh, they don't sound bad together.

3. The whole Emma/Emily thing didn't even cross my mind. :)

infomama
04-07-2010, 08:00 PM
I would pronouce it Emma-line.

:yeahthat:

wendibird22
04-07-2010, 08:04 PM
Another vote for pronouncing it Emma-line.

I think there will always be people who will try to shorten it to Em or Emma but I think so long as you use her full name then she'll tell people to call her by her full name (if that's what you want).

MZS V
04-07-2010, 08:09 PM
Love it! I think it works fine, and it is definitely EmmaLINE to my way of thinking, LOL.

maestramommy
04-07-2010, 08:12 PM
I have a niece named Emmaline (or maybe it's Emmeline, hmmmm). We pronounce with a long "i". But most of the time we call her Emma. She only gets called Emmaline when she's in trouble:p

I think it goes with Annabelle just fine, another lovely name!

R2sweetboys
04-07-2010, 08:16 PM
DS2 has a friend named Emmeline and it is pronounced Emma-LINE. She is so stinkin cute too! I love the name.

Fairy
04-07-2010, 08:28 PM
I love this name! Emma-LINE, rhynes with Caro-LINE. This was my grandmother's middle name, and we had it on our list as a possible middle name. 'course, I had a boy.

I think Annabelle and Emmaline are great names.

Meatball Mommie
04-07-2010, 08:31 PM
I like it ! I wouldn't hesitate to use it.
I say Emma-Line

I TOTALLY love the name and personally think the 2 names together sound great...wish I had a girl ;)

Momof3Labs
04-07-2010, 08:34 PM
I first thought Emma-Leen

codex57
04-07-2010, 08:34 PM
I'd say Emma-LEEN unless told otherwise. I see no problems with it going with an Annabelle. Sounds nice, actually. I prefer the Emma-LEEN pronunciation rather than Emma-LINE cuz it sounds softer/sweeter to me. Not that LINE is bad or anything.

Emma and Emily aren't super popular around here so it doesn't bother me any.

Corie
04-07-2010, 10:50 PM
I would probably pronounce it like "Emma-line". To clear up some
confusion, I would spell the name "Emmaline". (not "Emmeline")

MontrealMum
04-08-2010, 01:03 AM
On first glance I would pronounce that "Emma-LEEN" for two reasons.

It's a French name, so that's the closest to the proper French pronunciation, and I live in a French-speaking place so my mind always goes there first with French names. And for some reason...there's a poem - AA Milne perhaps, though quite frankly it could be Shel Silversteen ---any experts? - it's banging around my head now that you bring up the name.

All I remember is this:
"Emmaline
has not been seen..."

...and for the life of me I can't remember the rest. I think I've muddled it together with the Longfellow Evangaline...

FWIW, Evangaline, Caroline, and Geraldine are all *supposed* to be pronounced with a final "EEN" in French, but in the US there are quite a few variations.

Honestly, though, I could really see it as being "Emma-LINE" (as in, the English way of saying Caroline) as well if you live in the US.

I think it's a great choice with Annabelle, which is also a French name. The "e" in Emmeline (the French "e" mue) is pronounced very similar to an "a" in English (though not exactly the same) so that's probably where the confusion comes in in terms of spelling.

spunkybaby
04-08-2010, 01:13 AM
I vote for Em-a-LINE (like Caroline). This is how I've heard others pronounce it here in the U.S.

Pretty name :)

MoJo
04-08-2010, 06:52 AM
I immediately thought the ending was pronounced LINE, and I think it's a GREAT name to go with Annabelle!

I think it's good to have siblings with similar-style names (which is part of why I'm having such a hard time naming my second daughter.)

ebjw
04-08-2010, 07:25 AM
Everyone is making me love the name even more, thanks! As for nicknames, Annabelle is Belle sometimes, but I prefer Annabelle to be her officially used name. I think Emmeline would be Emme (Emm-y) often, but again, not officially used. I prefer the whole names. I like the Emma-LINE pronunciation best beacause I really like Adeline and Caroline, but have had to rule them out. So my search for another LINE name brought me to Emmeline. That's when I realized it has multiple pronunciations!!!

MamaSnoo
04-08-2010, 09:53 AM
EmmaLINE. I think it is super pretty, and super-super pretty with Annabella as a sister....do you say Ah-nabelle or Anna-belle? Either way, super pretty. :bighand:

Emme is also a great nickname. I have a friend by this name (athough she just spells it Eme, and I do not think is short for anything. Same pronounciation). Emme is sweet, a little unusual, but not difficult, and works for a child or an adult.

AnnieW625
04-08-2010, 01:49 PM
My best friend named her daughter this in 2008 she was the first baby I had ever heard who had that name. They picked it because of a road in Santa Cruz, CA near where they live. They pronounce it Emma Line, her parents sometimes call her Emme though.

catpagmo
04-08-2010, 01:53 PM
I pronounced it Em-ma-LEEN in my head when I was reading it.

:yeahthat: I think it works well with Annabelle. I think it's unique!