PDA

View Full Version : Does Teething Affect Appetite?

Indianamom2
04-07-2010, 07:50 PM
Ds #2 is teething again. He is almost 9 months old and has his bottom two teeth. I think about 4 upper teeth are working their way in. He is not a drooler, but the last couple of days have been ridiculous.

My question is: has anyone noticed that their baby didn't eat well when teething? I don't know what else to think right now.

Ds seems otherwise healthy and happy, but he does not seem very interested in eating all of a sudden. He needs to eat (well, obviously) because he has had weight issues since around 3-4 months, but recently he had even lost weight. I feel like all I do all day is try to get him to eat. I know he is not taking enough formula. I would consider it a very good day if he got 20 oz. I've tried more ounces less often and fewer ounces more often, but he still doesn't take any more. He eats solid foods well, but he is just barely hanging on to the growth chart now (1st percentile).

I can't force him to eat (nor would I), but I have to admit that I'm a little worried.

Tondi G
04-07-2010, 07:53 PM
yeah it is very common for them to not want to suck on a bottle cause it makes the teething hurt more. You could try giving him a dose of Tylenol or motrin.... I also had good luck with Humphrey's teething tablets!

Indianamom2
04-07-2010, 08:00 PM
Thank you!

I think I'm extra stressed because of his weight issues and the fact that up until a month and a half ago, he wouldn't take a bottle at all. Now we're in the process of switching from BF'ing to formula and I was getting really nervous about him rejecting the bottle again.

DD #1 never really seemed bothered by teething so this is all new to me.

ncat
04-07-2010, 08:47 PM
Yes. Both of my kids refused much of their normal stuff when teething in favor of extra nursing, crackers, and frozen blueberries.

Kymberley
04-07-2010, 08:49 PM
DS is still working on pushing #6 through, and he loves, loves, LOVES frozen bananas and blueberries in his mesh feeder right now. And he's basically been on Motrin for the past month. *sigh* :hug:

daisymommy
04-07-2010, 09:02 PM
Oh yeah. With both of my boys, their poor little mouths hurt so bad when they're teething, just something touching their gums sent them through the roof with pain! I felt so bad. So they were really off nursing/bottle feeding. Joshua really liked cold fruits or frozen ones in the mesh feeder too. Andrew is working on teeth #3 and #4 and wants nothing to do with cold (weird huh?).

JanBaby
04-07-2010, 09:07 PM
I put an ice cube in the mesh feeder just before meal time (or sometimes a few). It seemed to numb her gums a little and she was able to eat. Good luck!

Tondi G
04-08-2010, 01:14 AM
you could try offering the formula in a sippy cup or straw cup? Sometimes they flow a bit easier than the bottle... or maybe try a faster flow nipple so he doesn't have to suck/work as hard to get the formula out.... would probably be easier on his sore gums.

okinawama
04-08-2010, 07:54 AM
yes. My son would refuse bottles but would eat solids like no other while teething.

MSWR0319
04-08-2010, 08:01 AM
My son always has decrease in appetite when teething.I usualy find myself wondering what's going on and then sure enough a tooth comes through. The other tell tale giveaway is that he won't eat appelsauce. I don't know why, but its his favorite any other day. When he's teething he refuses it like he hates it with a mad passion.

hillview
04-08-2010, 08:39 AM
Yes not eating is common when teething. Sometimes something cold and mushy works to soothe. Applesauce from the fridge etc.
/hillary

Indianamom2
04-08-2010, 09:10 AM
you could try offering the formula in a sippy cup or straw cup? Sometimes they flow a bit easier than the bottle... or maybe try a faster flow nipple so he doesn't have to suck/work as hard to get the formula out.... would probably be easier on his sore gums.

I'm actually using a sippy cup nipple with the bottle (they're interchangeable). Good idea though.