PDA

View Full Version : Thinking ahead to Earth Day..favorite trees?

infomama
04-07-2010, 08:35 PM
We are planning on planting some trees on Earth day. We have oak, pine, maple, magnolia and a yet unidentified tree on our property. Anyone have any favorites? I'm thinking a willow would be really lovely and Dd1 wants an apple tree as her choice....we are in zone 6.

DrSally
04-07-2010, 08:41 PM
When I used to live out east, I loved, loved the flowering dogwoods out in front of the colonials. Magnolias and Maple are also favs.

newg
04-07-2010, 10:02 PM
I always love the flowering trees. My mom has a dogwood in her front yard that smells marvelous. I'm a big fan of the bradford pears and weeping cheery trees too. I always like that they kick off the start of spring with such pretty blossoms!

Fruit trees are fun, but they take a long time to produce any real fruit. We planted a peach tree one year when I was a kid and I think it gave us one small peach in the seven years we lived at the house............it's probably an awesome tree right now though ;)

DrSally
04-07-2010, 10:14 PM
We had a Bradford Pear tree, so pretty in the spring. It's sad that where we live now, the plant/tree options are more limited due to the weather.

infomama
04-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Interesting learning about these trees. I am reading that the Bradford Pear is a bit fragile when faced with high winds or ice....both of which we have plenty of from time to time. It's heartbreaking to see a tree fall before it's time...

ewpmsw
04-08-2010, 12:13 AM
Interesting learning about these trees. I am reading that the Bradford Pear is a bit fragile when faced with high winds or ice....both of which we have plenty of from time to time. It's heartbreaking to see a tree fall before it's time...

I love the Bradford Pears in our yard. They're making it snow for us this week. Have been told by our tree guy that they probably won't make it many more years b/c they're getting too big and are prone to splitting down the middle.

Have you considered crape myrtles? Not sure if your zone would support them. We have them everywhere around here and they bloom throughout the summer with a light fragrance. They're one of my favorites.

DrSally
04-08-2010, 03:30 PM
I love the Bradford Pears in our yard. They're making it snow for us this week. Have been told by our tree guy that they probably won't make it many more years b/c they're getting too big and are prone to splitting down the middle.

Have you considered crape myrtles? Not sure if your zone would support them. We have them everywhere around here and they bloom throughout the summer with a light fragrance. They're one of my favorites.

Oh, that's sad about your pear trees. I've never heard that. I'm going to have to google crape myrtle.

Indianamom2
04-08-2010, 03:41 PM
I love flowering cherry trees.

That being said, this was my gift from DD a couple of years ago for Mother's Day. It is alive and well, but has never yet flowered. Maybe this year.

jse107
04-08-2010, 03:42 PM

We have tons of them here in MD, and yes, they are very fragile. They are also an invasive species.

jse107
04-08-2010, 03:43 PM
I LOVE crepe myrtles. Lovely, really lovely.

SnuggleBuggles
04-08-2010, 04:20 PM
Purple Beauty Berry (they have it a garden here and it is beautiful some times of the year especially)
flowering dogwood
weeping cherry

Beth

kcimato
04-08-2010, 08:26 PM
Bradford Pear Trees are beautiful and are one of the first trees in bloom around here. That being said, we have lost 5 of them due to the wind and splitting at the trunks. I have read that their are some new hybrids that won't split.

My favorite tree is the Profusion Cherry. Big huge double and triple blossoms. They are blooming now because it is so hot. Usually they bloom around 4-20.

fortato
04-08-2010, 08:48 PM
A Redbud. They are BEAUTIFUL in the spring. They flower first with no leaves. Just these beautiful purple/pink flowers all over it.

We're planting 6 in our side yard... eventually.

infomama
04-08-2010, 09:07 PM
A Redbud.
Oh my goodness those are beautiful. I also like the weeping cherry. Both of those would compliment our beautiful magnolia trees pink flowers. Keep the ideas coming...I am having so much fun reading about these trees.

Cam&Clay
04-08-2010, 09:49 PM
We have a Kwanzan Cherry in our front yard. It is huge, sturdy, and gorgeous. DS1 and his friends love to climb it. It's blooming right now which is way earlier than usual, but it's been so warm.

Here's a link to pic of one.

http://www.fast-growing-trees.com/Kwanzan.htm