PDA

View Full Version : New Nike/Tiger ad (warning: strong opinion)

MamaSnoo
04-08-2010, 10:00 AM
Has anyone seen the new Nike ad with Tiger in it. It was all over the am news where I live (close to Augusta).

At first, I have to say that I thought it was a little creepy, what with his father being deceased. Although, the theme of his dad scolding him publicly is ok, I guess.

But then, I thought about it a little more, and I am totally disgusted. It is, after all an AD, designed to make money for Nike. AND, I am sure Tiger was paid to participate. So, therefore, he and Nike are making $$$$$ directly off of his affairs. Gross, just gross. Granted, some of his mistresses could probably do a book and also make money (I am sure they have already been paid for interviews), and that is gross too. However, this man is already uber-rich, uber-famous, and supposedly contrite for his poor treatment of his wife. To be using the situation for him to make money just burns me up.

Andi98989
04-08-2010, 10:06 AM
It's been all over the Today show this morning, too.

I wouldn't have known it was his father except for them telling me that. I find the ad kind of creepy and odd and pointless. Donny Deutch (sp?) the ad guy was saying that he thinks it's a good ad and gives Nike props for putting something out there and directly addressing it instead of just waiting to see how his game goes and riding that. I thought that was an interesting way of looking at it.

I'm kind of "meh" about it. I am irritated that it's getting so much extra air time by the news media, though.

I do wonder where they got this audio from ...

sewarsh
04-08-2010, 10:10 AM
Nike is trying to "humanize" him.
I think he's hiddeous.

My DH is an avid golfer and i will definately NOT be buying him ANY Nike Golf anything.

we'll be switching to Calloway thank you very much.

BabyMine
04-08-2010, 10:24 AM
As a marketing tool I thinks it's wonderful. It's what a parent would say to their son if they messed up. It's almost as if Nike is telling people " ok he messed up and his father, a hero in Tiger's eyes, talked to him about it and now he can go play with the other kids." I loved it.

As a consumer and TV watcher I am tired of hearing about it.

boogiemomz
04-08-2010, 10:25 AM
revolting.

nov04
04-08-2010, 10:45 AM
I wonder how his Dad would feel about his voice being used like this???

Although I've always liked Nike baseball caps (quality-wise), I'll now seek out other brands.

ehlana06
04-08-2010, 10:58 AM
just another example of a celebrity being practically uplifted for something that an every day average american would be shunned for. It seems to me that whenever a celebrity makes a stupid decision they get the whole "well after all they are only human". I personally find it disgusting and embarassing that we tolerate this type of behavior. What a wonderful example that is being set for our children (sarcasm).