PDA

View Full Version : Name help... please.

fortato
04-08-2010, 11:14 AM
I've got about 9 weeks to go... and this baby still has no name.

How do I convince my DH to just let me name him Leo or Oliver so we can move on? He's never given me a real reason why he doesn't like either name... Leo was my grandfather's name, and Oliver is just cute. I like the sound of it with Jack...

The middle name has to be Gerald, so- Leo Gerald or Oliver Gerald would work.

Also- what are the chances that the ultrasound I had at 19 weeks was wrong, and this could be a girl? Just wondering because I have a girls' name picked out.

ChristinaLucia
04-08-2010, 11:15 AM
I love Oliver Gerald!

I think the 19 week ultrasound should be pretty accurate - especially if they said it was a boy.

Congratulations!!!

Tondi G
04-08-2010, 11:28 AM
I like both Leo and Oliver and think they would both sound nice with Jack.

Has DH come up with any suggestions himself?

there is a chance that the US could be incorrect but more than likely at 19 weeks if they saw a penis then it is probably correct. I do know 2 people who were told they were having girls and then found out the US assumption was incorrect in the delivery room. I also know one mama who had 2 boys and was told #3 was a boy and was surprised with a girl in the delivery room. So while the Techs/doctors are "usually" right, they do miss a few here and there!

other boys names

Mason
Aidan
Eli
Ryan
Hudson
Harrison
Brennan
Caleb
Noah
Gabriel (Gabe)
Liam
Cullen

MoJo
04-08-2010, 11:28 AM
I like the sound of Oliver Gerald, but I love the idea of naming him after his great-grandpa Leo, so I think you have a tough choice.

Obviously, from my comment on the other thread, I have no idea how to convince DH, especially when he isn't giving you a good reason for disliking the names.

Does he have a name in mind? (Mine does, and I think that's part of my problem. I have to find a name he likes better than the one he has had in mind for months. And he doesn't think my reasons for not wanting to use his name are valid.)

sariana
04-08-2010, 11:36 AM
I like Jack and Leo together, but Oliver Gerald flows better than Leo Gerald. I like names with different numbers of syllables, though of course it also depends on the cadence of your last name.

fortato
04-08-2010, 11:38 AM
His choices for boys names are ok, but being an ex-teacher...a lot of them have negative connotations for me, and he knows that.

Sam
Ed or Edward
Al or Alexander
Ian
Adam
Bradley
Elliot
Ethan
Matthew
Nathan
Noah
Simon
Stewart
Theo (Theodore, Ted)
Zachary

boogiemomz
04-08-2010, 11:55 AM
if he doesn't love your choices but can't say why, and you have negative connotations with some of his choices but some are less objectionable than others, maybe you could make a list of 4 names... leo, oliver (love both of these, btw!!) and two from his list that you would be okay with, and wait until you meet your baby to choose. we went in with a list of 4 and it was obvious to both of us which one was "hers" when she was born. the one caveat of this approach is that you both have to be okay with ALL FOUR names going in... otherwise you could have a real problem when baby is born and you are fighting for your faves and he is fighting for his. tough situation, but you will choose the perfect name for your sweet little boy! good luck! :thumbsup:

SammyeGail
04-08-2010, 12:02 PM
I LOVE Oliver, Oliver, Oliver, Oliver, :D :D :D

Well, its a family name for me, so of course I am very partial ;)

Plus its really cute, and will be a really nice adult name. Very distinguished and I don't think Ollie is a bad shortening/nickname. We almost used it as Noah's 1st name, but we kept with both 1st biblical names.

BTY, I was called Sammye until I was 8-9, then I was ready for Samantha.

AnnieW625
04-08-2010, 12:03 PM
I like Oliver more than Leo, but both are nice names and I think they go well with Gerald.
From his list I like Ian (that's our first choice if #2 is a boy), Simon, Noah, and Nathan.

I have actually run into two co workers who've had friends or relatives who've been told they are having one sex and the baby and end up having the other within the last year or so. Part of the reason we have opted not to find out the sex of the baby. It's just easier to go gender neutral with everything and have two names for each sex picked out.

Our #1 girl name right now is Lauren; we aren't 100% set on a middle name yet, but I like Elizabeth.

wellyes
04-08-2010, 12:07 PM
I like the list of 4 idea. That's basically what we did with DD. And I "won" in the end :) The name suits her perfectly.

Snow mom
04-08-2010, 01:53 PM
Where does the mn come from? If the mn has to be Gerald because of your DH (his family or his preference) then I think you should get the final vote on the first name.

JoyNChrist
04-08-2010, 02:01 PM
I love Leo! One of my all-time favorite little boy's names, and very underused.

I also like Oliver (it was on my boy list this time but DH vetoed it), but Leo's my fave. And I think Leo sounds better with Jack.

With my DH, who likes to veto my name choices but doesn't ever come up with any of his own, I finally told him he had to have a valid reason not to like a name, or it was staying on the list. So maybe just do some digging and see if your DH is really against those names or is just being difficult.

I also like the idea of having several names picked out and waiting to meet the baby to decide...but then you have to find several names you agree on instead of just one.

maestramommy
04-08-2010, 02:06 PM
Oliver is cute, but I like Leo even better. Maybe your Dh just doesn't like the sound? I could understand that, even if I didn't feel the same way.

Does he object to Michael? Dh's name is Michael Gerald. :D

boogiemomz
04-08-2010, 02:50 PM
Where does the mn come from? If the mn has to be Gerald because of your DH (his family or his preference) then I think you should get the final vote on the first name.

i had the same thought. sounds like he might not be as willing to compromise as you are. not cool!

fortato
04-08-2010, 03:00 PM
Oliver is cute, but I like Leo even better. Maybe your Dh just doesn't like the sound? I could understand that, even if I didn't feel the same way.

Does he object to Michael? Dh's name is Michael Gerald. :D

A certain best friend of mine thinks "Michael Skywalker" would be a great name...

fortato
04-08-2010, 03:01 PM

And I TOTALLY agree that I should get the final say. I'm sort of hoping DH will be out of the room when I sign the birth certificate...

maestramommy
04-08-2010, 03:02 PM
A certain best friend of mine thinks "Michael Skywalker" would be a great name...

Well, personally I think Leo Skywalker has a better ring to it;)

KpbS
04-08-2010, 03:14 PM
His choices for boys names are ok, but being an ex-teacher...a lot of them have negative connotations for me, and he knows that.

Sam
Ed or Edward
Al or Alexander
Ian
Adam
Bradley
Elliot
Ethan
Matthew
Nathan
Noah
Simon
Stewart
Theo (Theodore, Ted)
Zachary

Since he is not budging on your faves are there any from his list that don't have negative connotations for you? From his list I like Elliot and Nathan (Nate). Love Theo (Theodore, Ted) but I am pretty biased ;) Could you warm up to Theo? Similar to Leo (which I like a lot) and sounds great with Jack IMO.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
04-08-2010, 03:23 PM
If you name this baby Stewart I am going to be seriously upset! Can you imagine being nicknamed Stewie? NO. NO. NO.

citymama
04-08-2010, 03:55 PM
Hey, I have FOUR weeks to go and no name picked out! DH and I cannot agree on a name, and in all truth, I don't love any of the names on our list (but one, which DH really doesn't like). Hoping for a lightning flash of inspiration!

I LOVE the name Leo - hope you get to use it!

buddyleebaby
04-08-2010, 03:58 PM
Michael
Sam
Oliver

I like Eric, too.

fortato
04-08-2010, 05:45 PM
Eric.... as in Prince Eric???? Just for Evelyn.....

MelissaTC
04-08-2010, 06:17 PM
I like Leo. DH's Grandfather's name was Leo and it is DH's middle name.

fortato
04-08-2010, 08:46 PM
I like Leo. DH's Grandfather's name was Leo and it is DH's middle name.

I think Leo was a popular middle name in my family too- my dad was Robert Leo. His brother was Paul Leo... I have 4 cousins with it- Jeffrey Leo, Jeremy Leo, Christopher Leo, Daniel Leo.

Either it was popular, or no one was creative. (Don't ask how many Stevens and Chris' there are)

Piglet
04-08-2010, 09:29 PM

Sam
Ed or Edward
Al or Alexander
Ian
Adam
Bradley
Elliot
Ethan
Matthew
Nathan
Noah
Simon