PDA

View Full Version : WWYD with this bathroom layout?

s7714
04-08-2010, 12:20 PM
We're debating on removing a wall and door from our kids/guest bathroom. I'm looking for outside opinions because I don't want to regret doing it later!

It's a small room with three doors, which equals a PITB to maneuver around in it in, especially if there's more than one person. (See attached layout) If door A is open all the way, its handle aligns under door B's handle, essentially locking door B unless the person inside that area is smart enough to lift up on B's handle vs. pushing it down (which panicked little kids never remember to do). And much like public bathroom stalls, you have to stand all the way against the tub and toilet to allow room for door B to close past you when you need to be in there. Whenever guests are showering or getting ready in there, they lock doors A and C and leave door B open so they have more room.

While we could just take door B off to avoid the A/B lockout situation, we're wondering if it would just be better to completely remove the wall and door (shown in red on layout) to make the whole bathroom feel more spacious. BUT, I'm wondering if we'd regret doing it later when the girls are teenagers and both want to be in the bathroom at the same time. That is my major concern. As it is now, they do want to close door B when using the potty while someone else is brushing teeth, but they fight over doors being opened or closed because they're afraid of getting "locked" in. We do have another bathroom downstairs that our guests (and kids) can use as well though. We considered changing out door B to a pocket style door, but because there's electrical work in that wall, it's not an option. (If we removed that wall, the electrical work would be re-run to the light switches by doors A & C.)

So if you made it this far, thanks! What do you think we should do?

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=827&stc=1&d=1270743558

LMPC
04-08-2010, 12:31 PM
Darn, I was going to suggest a pocket door (this is what we have and it works well). What about a folding door? That way it's not as much in the way, you avoid taking out the whole wall, and your DC's will still have privacy.

Would it be a huge PITA to move the electrical? Could you just run it down the side of the wall so that it's out of the way of the pocket door? (can you tell I really like our pocket doors?!)

Andi98989
04-08-2010, 12:38 PM
Growing up and now I've never had a bathroom with a separate 'toilet room.' My mom, sister and I always shared a bathroom and never had any issues being in and out of there at the same time. If we wanted privacy, we just shut the door. Closed door = don't enter.

In the morning, my dad, sister and I would share a bathroom while getting ready for school. It was no big deal. We closed the door while using the toilet and everyone was in/out while brushing teeth, doing hair, etc...

craftysierra
04-08-2010, 12:57 PM
A simple trial may just be to pull the pins out of door B hinges and see if you can live with that on a trial basis and see if you miss the door.

Sierra

Percycat
04-08-2010, 01:02 PM
If you can move the electrical to remove the wall, I would move the electrical to install a pocket door. We have a similar bathroom floor plan and love the pocket door. Our Door A is also a pocket door.

I personally would not remove the wall. If the pocket doors don't work, what about a different type of closure (accordian door, curtain) or rehanging the doors so they open a different way.

angela

bubbaray
04-08-2010, 01:02 PM
I would remove the red wall and door B completely. I actually really do NOT like bathrooms with interior doors/walls. JMHO.

I would put pocket doors in both A and C positions. I would re-route the electrical if necessary. Plumbing would be more problematic, but if it could be done, that is what I would do.

HTH

mamicka
04-08-2010, 01:14 PM
I would remove the red wall and door B completely. I actually really do NOT like bathrooms with interior doors/walls. JMHO.

I would put pocket doors in both A and C positions. I would re-route the electrical if necessary. Plumbing would be more problematic, but if it could be done, that is what I would do.

HTH

Exactly my thoughts. Whether or not you do any pocket doors, I think just removing the whole wall would be much more convenient. Unless the room is huge, I don't understand interior bathroom walls.

sunshine873
04-08-2010, 01:25 PM
I personally would want to leave a wall/door there for additional privacy. and of course my 1st thought was pocket door! We installed a pocket door from our kitchen to our laundry room (different room, but very similar scenario.) It was a PITB to do, but it was totally worth it - I'd do it 100 times over again. Seriously...it may be worth it to move the electrical.

Percycat
04-08-2010, 01:36 PM
If you can move the electrical to remove the wall, I would move the electrical to install a pocket door. We have a similar bathroom floor plan and love the pocket door. Our Door A is also a pocket door.

I personally would not remove the wall. If the pocket doors don't work, what about a different type of closure (accordian door, curtain) or rehanging the doors so they open a different way.

angela

s7714
04-08-2010, 02:02 PM
A contractor said a pocket door wouldn't work for door B, but we've got a couple more coming in for quotes, so I'll be getting their opinions as well. Actually everyone I've talked to says that pocket doors are great IF you can rebuild a wall to work with them--installing them into existing walls is harder to do I guess.

I wish we would have had the foresight to have the builder put in pocket doors when we were building the house. But, it's been one of those situations where it looks good on paper, but doesn't function IRL quite as well! ;)

We have talked about switching door A so that it swings out into the hallway instead of into the bathroom... (Door C leads to a bedroom.) That may end up being the most plausible option we can't work out a good solution with the wall/door B.

secchick
04-08-2010, 02:19 PM
We have this exact same setup. But for us, Door A leads to a hallway and Door C is directly to a bedroom (now a toy room, but will hopefully be used a BR for DC#3 in the future). What we did was just take Door A off the hinges and problem solved. We also did it because DD was 3 (now 4) when we moved into the house and we wanted to make it as easy as possible for her to find it and go potty. Not too worried about privacy issues, since it's just the basin area for future tooth brushing, makeup application, and hair doing. It's also at the end of the house and the only thing there is really the two bedrooms, and since the entry is recessed, you can't see anything from the game room/upstairs living area anyway. DD's BR door is opposite the missing bathroom door.