PDA

View Full Version : Eyesore kitchen electrical box

SammyeGail
04-08-2010, 12:47 PM
Now that I know how to post a pic, the builder put our electrical box in the back of our kitchen, to the left is the laundry room (would have been a great place) to the right is the 1/2 bath.

DH will not let me put anything in front of it, which I do understand. I called the guy who put the cabinets in to see about getting bottom cabinets (a big flower arrangement on top to help cover this thing) but he wanted $800 for the small space. NOT!

Its all metal except the plastic knob to open it. I don't know what kind of primer I would have to put on it, or if it would work. Would it flake off the plastic knob?

I saw a CSI:NY the other day where there was one like this in a kitchen (yeah, I notice things like that, lol!) the kitchen was wallpapered, the electrical box was papered separately. I had to skip back (dish network) about 4 times, pause it, look at it well, it was kind of funny.

Not that I am a fan of wallpaper, a print that is retro/modern maybe, (plus look at that paint color, Sherwin-Williams Mannered Gold) but an option could be just wallpaper that back wall.

Well, thats an option that I think would look bad, being just one wall. I just don't know how to paint this thing. I have gotten used to it a bit living here 3 years, but its still a huge eyesore and bugged the crap out of me when we first moved in.

We plan to move soon, so I know this will look awful to buyers. Any suggestions on how to paint over it? Thanks, I hate this thing!

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq217/sammyegail/Kitchen%20eyesore/004.jpg

LMPC
04-08-2010, 12:54 PM
What's DH's beef with covering it up? That seems like the best idea to me. Maybe a large picture or wall hanging?

zoestargrove
04-08-2010, 12:57 PM
In our office, there is a large electrical box in the front lobby. Someone had brought back this asian art piece that is like a fabric scroll and it perfectly covers the box. It has a thin wooden frame on top and bottom, but otherwise just the light fabric. It's very easy to access the box if needed and is no longer an eye-sore. I know your dh didn't want to cover it up, but maybe something like that would be ok?

I can't take a picture, but here is a link to similar style art.
http://www.scrollsfromchina.com/

truly scrumptious
04-08-2010, 01:02 PM
Here is what we did with ours - we got the fabric panel from Ikea.

This is an old pic - since then we've redone the kitchen and now we have this (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60083318) panel from floor to ceiling. (It looks very washed out in the picture, but in person it looks like a grey-green color - very pretty.)

hillview
04-08-2010, 01:13 PM
Love the Ikea panel! I'd do that or a framed picture.
/hillary

bubbaray
04-08-2010, 01:15 PM
What's DH's beef with covering it up? That seems like the best idea to me. Maybe a large picture or wall hanging?

:yeahthat:

boolady
04-08-2010, 01:18 PM
At my parents' vacation home, the box is in the downstairs bedroom, and the builder covered it in a simple wood box that hinges open for access that's stained to match the trim in the house.

daniele_ut
04-08-2010, 01:49 PM
Timely post! Dh just went out to pick up a piece of framed art to cover the panel on our stairs going down into the basement. The cover to ours was textured and painted to match the old paint and it was hideous!!

Penny's Pappa
04-08-2010, 01:57 PM

:yeahthat: I can understand not wanting to put something bulky in front of it since you'll likely need to get into the box every now and again, but a wall hanging of some sort shouldn't be a problem.

niccig
04-08-2010, 01:59 PM
I'm thinking a wall hanging, a narrow console table, some knickacks or interesting display on top, and if the console table had a shelf underneath, some nice baskets for storage.

I'm thinking of a narrow table, like this http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40137906 It might be too deep though, as I can't tell the measurements. I think a narrow table/sideboard that can be used for storage, a nice display on top and then the wall hanging will make it look intentional and not like you're hiding something. As it's by the half-bath, I'm assuming guests walk by this area - so I would make it look pretty and not too utility like, keep all of that in the laundry room. But some nice baskets on the side table shelves could hold extra towels or toilet paper for the half-bath.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20131632 This is another sideboard that you could paint or stain. Or if you want base cabinets, Ikea has some cabinets - freestanding and built in that are are cheap and DIY install.

bubbaray
04-08-2010, 02:04 PM
Another thing I have seen people do is to put a wood door over the box, with nice trim, and paint the flat surface of the door with chalkboard paint to create a message center. That is a lot more work than a wall hanging, though.

lil_acorn
04-08-2010, 02:14 PM
Put a picture or mirror over it. that would be easy to take off as needed.

SammyeGail
04-08-2010, 02:25 PM

Because I was thinking of something like this, LOL:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_64014-80752-143654C_0_?productId=3067829&Ntt=chrome%20shelving%20unit&Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?newSearch=true$Ntt=chrome%20shelving%20un it$y=4$x=16

I love the panel ideas, the wall needs something. I wish the electrical panel was at least centered, then a nice print/picture would be great, but with it being off centered I would have to get a HUGE one. I made measurements in the past and the pic would be so big it would look too big for the space, kiwm? Plus I never found one that wasn't $$$$ :tongue5:

2 separate panel might work and look great, I'll have to look at measurements...

If not I love the idea of painting a wood board, bevel the edges, glue on some trim, and putting it up with non-visible hinges. That would of course require DH to do work so it has a 20% chance of getting done.

Thanks for the ideas, please feel free to throw some more panel pics/ideas at me, I can only order online. My adrenal gland disorder is making me really sick right now so I feel pretty bad :(. I need to lay down before I pass out, ugh.

niccig
04-08-2010, 04:01 PM
2 separate panel might work and look great, I'll have to look at measurements...

2 panels could work, put both the same distance in from the walls, and they'll be centered on the wall.

And what was that builder thinking to put it right there???

SammyeGail
04-09-2010, 01:45 PM
2 panels could work, put both the same distance in from the walls, and they'll be centered on the wall.

And what was that builder thinking to put it right there???

Same distance from the walls, thats right, (duh) thanks alot, lol.

I've asked myself 'what was that builder thinking?' on lots of things in this house. I think the single width ex-deep Jacuzzi brand tub/shower combo bugs me most where there was more than plenty of space for a garden tub/shower combo in the master bath. I think he would get deals on things and put them in the houses. Thats who we have weird 'modern' ceiling fans, lol.

DH says it was easier for the builder to put it where it is, its an outside wall (easy access electrical wise), the laundry room to the left stands alone like a walkway to the garage. I'm just so grateful for the panel ideal! I would have never thought of them myself.

JTsMom
04-09-2010, 02:25 PM
I would definitely hang something over it. What about some type of message center? You could have a cork board, chalk board, dry erase, etc.

You could put something like this together for very little $.

http://www.pbteen.com/products/berkeley-dottie-style-tile-set/?pkey=cwall-accessories-decoration

infomama
04-09-2010, 02:31 PM
the builder covered it in a simple wood box that hinges open for access that's stained to match the trim in the house.
My in laws have theirs covered this way. I like the Ikea panel, too.

niccig
04-09-2010, 04:13 PM
I would definitely hang something over it. What about some type of message center? You could have a cork board, chalk board, dry erase, etc.

http://www.pbteen.com/products/berkeley-dottie-style-tile-set/?pkey=cwall-accessories-decoration

You would just need ply wood cut to size, molding cut to size and then use an adhesive to glue it on. Then the squares can be fabric covered wood, or cork squares (you can buy those at Staples), paint wood for the chalkboards etc.

Lowes/Home Depot will cut wood to your size specifications - and that rest is wood adhesive, paint etc.

SammyeGail
04-09-2010, 05:39 PM

I like that, but its in the back of the kitchen, past where the cabinets end. We have one of those pull out trash cans thats in a cabinet door by the sink, against this wall we have an additional trash can, brooms, etc. cardboard boxes to cut down and send out on trash day (really wish our small town recycled, closest place is 45 minutes :(). It would be a perfect place for a chrome/gray wire rack for additional storage, maybe I can find a shorter one and put panels above it. I'll be happy with panels-if I can remember to look for some, thank goodness for getting email notifications about my post :thumbsup:!