PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone else see Food, Inc.?

moonsky
04-08-2010, 02:25 PM
I saw it through Netflix instantly watch yesterday. It was gross but very informative. Now, I am very convinced that the organic chicken breast for $9.99/lb and other expensive organic food is really worth it. I didn't know before that the E Coli outbreak may originally be caused by feeding cows with corn instead of grass.

maestramommy
04-08-2010, 02:49 PM
Saw it twice. Kinda makes you not want to eat for a while:p

jse107
04-08-2010, 03:00 PM
Just saw it two nights ago. I'm already WAY on the bandwagon for eating local and organic food when possible, but this just solidified it for me. About a month ago we started getting milk/yogurt/cheese delivery from a local creamery. They also sell grassfed beef, which we're also ordering. Last year we started a small veggie garden in the backyard and we're doing it again this year.

It's more expensive, but worth it to me. I don't spend extra money on clothing, hair, or shoes. My "extra" is buying high quality food for my family.

If you want local resources, check out:
localharvest.org
eatwild.com

WatchingThemGrow
04-08-2010, 03:03 PM
I'm scared to see it. I probably do spend extra on clothing, hair and shoes, but not enough on higher quality food, except for my 22wk CSA box.

hillview
04-08-2010, 03:10 PM
Yes and I really appreciated it message.
/hillary

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
04-08-2010, 03:20 PM
Another good one is this. (http://www.hulu.com/watch/67878/the-future-of-food)

We spend more on food than most.I truly believe what you put in, you get out via health. We eat almost all organic, minus a few things like gourmet cheese. I shop sales and stock up on good food on sale. I do a produce co-op every other week, too. Food Inc. is a great movie, scary but good. Makes me glad to be a Veg!

maestramommy
04-08-2010, 03:27 PM
I think really the biggest eye opener for me was some of the darker ways in which the food industry works. Like how the meatpacking company kept a hand in with INS, handing over just enough people so it didn't affect their production. I was sick with rage when I saw that. Also how so many people in govt used to be in the food industry. And the whole thing with Monsanto and the soybeans was just unreal. Recently I've been hearing about them again in relation to how they are affecting another crop industry. I think it was sugarbeets.

egoldber
04-08-2010, 03:31 PM
I haven't seen it, but I read Fast Food Nation which has a lot of the same stuff in it.

We lucked into finding a source for local, hormone free, grass fed beef this year and I will be doubling my order for next year. And it was CHEAP, much cheaper than anything we could find at the grocery.

I'd love to find a local source for poultry too.

We also get organic, free range eggs (real ones) with our CSA, which I give to the kids. Even my older DD notices the difference. She's a huge egg eater and I love that she gets the best possible nutrition that way.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
04-08-2010, 03:34 PM
maestramommy-Millions Against Monsanto (http://www.organicconsumers.org/monlink.cfm) has some good info.

DrSally
04-08-2010, 03:36 PM
I want to see it.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
04-08-2010, 03:37 PM
I want to see it.

It was $9.99 on Amazon.

DrSally
04-08-2010, 03:39 PM
Ok, I just checked my library and put both Food Inc. and fast food nation on reserve. I have been waiting for Redbox or On Demand, but haven't seen them in those places yet. I'm going to watch on a weekend when DH can watch with me.

SnuggleBuggles
04-08-2010, 04:22 PM
The day it arrived in the mail from Netflix my DVD player stopped working and we didn't get to see it. Really want to and should probably just stream it.

Beth

daisymommy
04-08-2010, 04:23 PM
:thumbsup::thumbsup: Two thumbs up for the movie.

LarsMal
04-08-2010, 05:37 PM
I haven't, but I really want to. I saw the re-run of the Oprah episode a week or two ago where she featured it and some other food info. She had that author on (can't think of his name)- the Food Rules guy. I want to get that book now, too!

I REALLY REALLY want DH to see it so he will get on board with my desire to go more natural/organic. He has done pretty well with my no/limited HFCS for me and the kids, but he still eats/drinks some nasty stuff! I am hoping the movie will be an eye opener for him.

AnnieW625
04-08-2010, 05:54 PM
I haven't seen it yet and I can't believe it missed my radar some how.

Here is a blog post that my friend wrote about it:
http://fourflightsoffancy.blogspot.com/2010/04/food-inc-i-finally-watched-it-twice-and.html

bubbaray
04-08-2010, 06:08 PM
I haven't seen it, though I did see the Oprah re-run. I don't know that I really want the visual, KWIM?

I have read Barbara Kingsolver's Animal Vegetable Miracle, which I HIGHLY recommend.

PAfirsttimemom
04-08-2010, 07:13 PM
It's airing on PBS on April 21. I'm hoping to catch the broadcast.

http://www.mnn.com/food/organic-farming/blogs/host-a-food-inc-potluck-and-screening

DrSally
04-08-2010, 07:56 PM
Thanks, I set it to record on TIVO (had to look under POV, rather than Food, Inc.). Also, Fast Food Nation is airing on the IFC.

alirebco
04-08-2010, 08:10 PM
We rented it On Demand and then bought it so we could lend it out to friends, lol. I was already doing most of it - local, organic, CSA, farmer's markets, but it really helped DH see that I'm not crazy!

I'm excited to see Fresh which is more about the solutions. I know most people who have seen both prefer Fresh but Food Inc is a must see since it opens your eyes to the food industry if you haven't read about it before.

DrSally
04-08-2010, 08:15 PM
I'm noticing a theme here in posters wanting their DH's to see that they're not crazy :)

moonsky
04-08-2010, 10:00 PM
If you want local resources, check out:
localharvest.org
eatwild.com

Thanks for the info. I will definitely check it out. We have been eating organic food too, but I wasn't looking into local or grass fed beef before, more like anything label with organic and USDA was ok.