PDA

View Full Version : ultra pasteurized organic milk

drako
04-08-2010, 03:03 PM
I am so confused with what kind of milk to give DD. I have been giving her organic milk that is either sold at the food store or I can order it through a local produce delivery service. I want to give her the best but can't always be around to wait for a milk delivery on Saturdays plus it $4.99 for a half gallon. This milk is from a relatively local diary. It is organic, pasteurized and from grass fed cows so when I can order it and be around for the delivery I do get it.

When I purchase organic milk from the food store my only options are ultra-pasteurized milk. I was wondering why this milk (either store brand, Horizon, or Organic Valley) had such a long self life. Well, I googled ultra pasteurized organic milk and found out that there aren't that many organic dairies so in order to be able to ship their milk around the country they pasteurize it at a higher temperature to sterilize it and give it a longer shelf life. With the ultra pasteurization many of the nutrients are lost since it is pasteurized at such a high temp.

Now my dilemma, I could buy the grass-fed organic pasteurized when I am around but I could also buy from a local dairy that is not organic that doesn't treat their cows with rBST growth hormone. They make their own feed but they are grass fed in the summer. I did always buy this milk prior to DD and the taste is great and it is really fresh since they pasteurize and bottle it right on the farm. I thought I was doing better for DD by buying the organic milk but now I am not so sure. I am even considering trying raw milk from another dairy in the area but a little unsure about that. Any thoughts on what the best milk is??

boolady
04-08-2010, 03:04 PM
I guess I'm lucky. My store brand organic milk, which gets a pretty high rating, is not ultra-pasteurized. I don't know what I'd do in your situation.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
04-08-2010, 03:30 PM
I live in AZ and buy this brand. (http://shamrockfarms.net/products/organic/why-our-organic)

Not-Ultra pasteurized, and semi-local.

AnnieW625
04-08-2010, 03:36 PM
Now my dilemma, I could buy the grass-fed organic pasteurized when I am around but I could also buy from a local dairy that is not organic that doesn't treat their cows with rBST growth hormone. They make their own feed but they are grass fed in the summer. I did always buy this milk prior to DD and the taste is great and it is really fresh since they pasteurize and bottle it right on the farm. I thought I was doing better for DD by buying the organic milk but now I am not so sure. I am even considering trying raw milk from another dairy in the area but a little unsure about that. Any thoughts on what the best milk is??

I would just get the rBST free milk from the dairy if you are happy with it. I am much more apt. to buy non organic if it's more local than the organic counterpart. We could get organic from the same local milk delivery service that we get our rBST non organic milk from too, but we have just stuck with the non rBST milk and have been happy with it. DD drinks soy on most occaisions (too much cows milk makes her nose run like crazy) so she is not effected by this choice. Once #2 is drinking milk in a year plus I'll most likely try the organic whole milk and compare it taste wise to the regular non rBST free whole milk. FWIW, we get dairy delivery from Rockview Farms (a local family owned dairy in Downey, CA, about 10 miles from our home), http://www.rockviewmilk.com/ .

JBaxter
04-08-2010, 03:40 PM
I get a weekly delivery from a local dairy. I it is bottle in glass half gallon jugs I buy what is called cream line which is not homogenized but is pasturized. It has a 14 day expiration date. I was buying raw milk but it was only bottled in plastic jugs.

They sell
hormone free in glass & plastic
organic in glass & plastic ( both homogenized and un homogenized)
Raw in plastic

I pay 3.12/ half gallon for organic non homogenized or 4.99 for the gallon

http://www.tricklingspringscreamery.com/

wellyes
04-08-2010, 03:40 PM
Why are you wanting to avoid ultrapasteruized? I think it doesn't taste quite as good, but I'm not aware of any nutritional loss or other issues that that would make me hesitate to give it to a child.

ETA: Found this http://www.pccnaturalmarkets.com/sc/0208/goldies.html Basically it sounds like nutrition loss occurs based on length of tmie on shelf (after 65 days), not by the pastuerization process. I typically buy milk wth an expiration date of 2 months away and use it within 3-4 days.

drako
04-08-2010, 03:54 PM
Anything that is cooked at high temperatures looses its nutritional value from what I have read. I also found this when I was researching dog food prior to having DD. THat is why so many vitamins are added to it since dog food is processed at high temperatures. Ultra-pasteurized milk is heated up to 280 degrees to give it a shelf life up to 60 days! Pasteurized milk is heated no more than 165 degrees. If you google ultra-pasteurized organic milk you will find out how the high temps lowers the nutritional value of the milk.

daisymommy
04-08-2010, 04:22 PM
I totally would go for milk #2 that you mentioned.

I personally have read enough bad things about UHT Pasteurizing that I won't buy it.

KrisM
04-08-2010, 04:27 PM
I totally would go for milk #2 that you mentioned.

I personally have read enough bad things about UHT Pasteurizing that I won't buy it.

:yeahthat:

I buy non-organic milk from thefarm.

alirebco
04-08-2010, 08:28 PM
I also don't buy UHT milk. We mostly buy organic - Trickling Springs posted above - but Snowville Creamery is also one that is now carried by us and they are good too. I like to get the Creamline (not homogonized whole milk) in both brands but really the important thing for me is that the milk comes from grassfed cows. I would totally get milk delivery if there was a dairy farm close enough!