PDA

View Full Version : S/O: Do you donate blood?

ourbabygirl
04-08-2010, 04:09 PM
Why or why not?
Care to describe how the pain compares to other things for those of us who are too chicken to do it? :wink2:

Thanks!

lmh2402
04-08-2010, 04:12 PM
yes, i have - though not regularly b/c i am off-n-on anemic

it hurts...it's a pretty big frickin' needle.

not to be too graphic, but i usually feel it "pop" into my arm

and though i'm looking the other way, the feeling of the "pop" usually makes me feel a bit queasy

as for why...i guess i just view it as why not?

my body is constantly making more

there is a need for it

so, why not

it hurts...but not that badly. like, other than maybe feeling a bit lightheaded for a short time afterward, i have never had any residual pain or reason that made me think twice the next time

maestramommy
04-08-2010, 04:16 PM
I haven't done it in a while since I always seem to be pregnant or nursing, and it's just not convenient for me. But I used to all the time in college. And I think I did whenever the opportunity arose. Dh used to donate to the Red Cross regularly before we moved. He'd get a call every few months and off he'd go.

I think it hurts about as much as getting your blood drawn. Which for me isn't much. I don't have a problem with needles though. I can do my own finger pricks;)

SnuggleBuggles
04-08-2010, 04:19 PM
I have not but I really should. The biggest reason I don't is because they call all the time here if you give once (I loved with my ILs for a bit and they got so many calls from the blood bank). I am going through this phase where I wish I could find out ways to give to any charity anonymously or opt out of solicitation because it is holding me back. I hate the wasted resources contacting me to do anything. When I want to, I will. I know that is horribly selfish of me.

Beth

MelissaTC
04-08-2010, 04:19 PM
I wish I could but I have a needle issue and the couple of times I have tried have led to me freaking out and/or practically passing out. :(

KrisM
04-08-2010, 04:29 PM
I haven't done it in a while since I always seem to be pregnant or nursing, and it's just not convenient for me. But I used to all the time in college. And I think I did whenever the opportunity arose. Dh used to donate to the Red Cross regularly before we moved. He'd get a call every few months and off he'd go.

I think it hurts about as much as getting your blood drawn. Which for me isn't much. I don't have a problem with needles though. I can do my own finger pricks;)

:yeahthat: The donor center was close to work and I'd go every couple months. Now, if I can squeeze it in at a local drive, I will.

I've donated 35 pints so far.

WatchingThemGrow
04-08-2010, 04:31 PM
No, I have low blood pressure and almost pass out when they take my blood at the OB. Chicken.

JBaxter
04-08-2010, 04:40 PM
I have in the past but not since Ive had Jack.

Gena
04-08-2010, 04:42 PM
I'm a blood donor. I have several "gallon pins". I used to go every 8-10 weeks. But now I usually do a "double red" donation, which means that instead of whole blood I give 2 units of red blood cells (the other blood components are put back into me). It takes a bit longer, but I can go half as often and do just as much good.

My Dad was a frequent blood donor when I was a kid. He has a rare blood type (AB-) and before he had health problems he felt it was his duty to donate. When I was a little kid and I asked Dad why he donated blood, he told me that it was just something you do, like voting or giving to charity. So that's the attitude I grew up with.

Penny's Pappa
04-08-2010, 04:45 PM
I used to donate whole blood. I'd go with a few co-workers during our lunch break. There's always a need for blood and like others have said, I have plenty to give, so why not?

There's a bit of a sting when they first stick you, but it's really not that bad. Kind of a medium strength pinch. The pain goes away about as quickly.

Nowadays I donate platelets and plasma. That's another experience altogether.

Penny's Pappa
04-08-2010, 04:46 PM
My Dad was a frequent blood donor when I was a kid. He has a rare blood type (AB-) and before he had health problems he felt it was his duty to donate. When I was a little kid and I asked Dad why he donated blood, he told me that it was just something you do, like voting or giving to charity. So that's the attitude I grew up with.

That's awesome.

smiles33
04-08-2010, 04:50 PM
yes, i have - though not regularly b/c i am off-n-on anemic

:yeahthat: It doesn't hurt me more than a momentary pinch. However, if you have a bad phlebotomist (sp?), like I did once, you might end up with an ugly bruise there and multiple pokes if s/he can't find a vein.

bubbaray
04-08-2010, 04:51 PM
I did a couple of months ago (through work), prior to that I hadn't in years.

I didn't think it hurt any more than a blood draw for a blood test.

HTH

baileygirl
04-08-2010, 05:09 PM
At my old job, they had people come in to do blood donations, so I would do it everytime they were there (which was probably 4xs a year). I had to stop because they banned blood donations from anyone who had lived in England during a certain time. I have no idea if this has been lifted or not. To pp point of the telephone calls, I had a hard time getting them to stop calling me to donate (even though I wasn't able to).

AnnieW625
04-08-2010, 05:09 PM
nope horribly afraid of needles

♥ms.pacman♥
04-08-2010, 05:34 PM
yes, though i haven't done it in awhile due to pregnancy, caring for baby etc. i have extremely low blood pressure (90/50 sometimes) yet i still don't really have problems donating, as long as i stuff myself with cookies/juice right afterwards :) the only thing is once i do it, i can't really do it again within the 10 weeks because otherwise i will become anemic

imo, donating blood doesnt really hurt that much at all. i think most ppl's issue with it is the fear of needles rather than the pain. for me, i really don't like seeing blood but i just turn away when they stick the needle in

Ceepa
04-08-2010, 05:37 PM
This is an excellent reminder for all of us. It should be viewed as more than a civic duty, more like an act of humanity.

I hate needles a lot, but when pregnant I was stuck plenty.

Here are some links that may help people looking to donate. Please feel free to add any you may have or edit if you have some feedback.

OrganDonor.gov - find information by state for becoming an organ/tissue donor
http://www.organdonor.gov/donor/index.htm

National Marrow Donor Program*
http://www.marrow.org/

*there is also a page for information on donating umbilical cord blood
http://www.marrow.org/HELP/Donate_Cord_Blood_Share_Life/index.html

American Red Cross - find a blood drive near you
http://www.redcrossblood.org/

Another:
Platelet Donation information
http://www1.givebloodgivelife.org/donors/types/platelets/

mama2g03
04-08-2010, 05:40 PM
When I am not pregnant and can pass the hemoglobin test I donate platelets. I feel like I should because I am in that percentage of the population that does not have antibodies to CMV (Cytomegalovirus) and they use those platelets for infants and immunocompromised recipients. It takes about an hour and a half and my skinny veins set off the darn alarms so they have to slow the pump down but I feel like it's something small I can do to help out. Needles don't bother me in the least.

JoyNChrist
04-08-2010, 05:42 PM
I used to do so pretty frequently (every 8 weeks or so).

The past year has been filled with lots of personal medical tests and procedures, so I kind of slacked off...just didn't want to deal with any more needles. And now I'm pregnant. But I definitely plan to go back regularly after I have the babies.

I too view it as a civic duty - like voting, volunteering, donating, being an organ donor...something that doesn't really hurt me and can help a whole lot of people. Those are the kinds of values I want to instill in my child, so I try to model them as best I can. :)

catroddick
04-08-2010, 05:51 PM
Yep- every eight weeks since January 2003, with the exception of taking a year off to have DD.

My reason may seem silly. In December of 2002, my amazing dog Osa was diagnosed with liver cancer and had to get a couple transfusions while we determined what could be done. Having worked for years in a vet hospital, I knew how rare it was to have a donor dog on site, and was so thankful that option was available for us. It only bought us a few extra days, but it was enough time to know that we were making the best decisions for her.

After I lost my beautiful, special dog, it occurred to me that I could donate and make that kind of difference for people- to help someone’s child, parent, spouse.

So I do it for Osa. And to thank the universe for giving me such a wonderful companion that helped raise me and make me a better person. :heartbeat:

boogiemomz
04-08-2010, 05:51 PM
yep, though haven't done it since before my pregnancy (have had some healthy problems since DD was born). i hate needles too, i just can't watch them doing it. as for the pain, it's not like getting a backrub, but not too bad. agree with PPs that it's similar to getting blood drawn. it only hurts for a second. it feels good to know you're helping people in need... i'm kind of in the "civic duty" camp too.

MamaMolly
04-08-2010, 06:17 PM
I had DD and was really anemic. I'll probably start again after DD2 is weaned. But I usually fail the anemia test. :(

BabyMine
04-08-2010, 06:54 PM
I did until I started taking so many meds. I wish I still could.

c&j04
04-08-2010, 07:02 PM
I tried once but had a bad experience, complete with turning green, fainting, and extreme bruising. That didn't help my fear of needles at all. Now that I'm almost thru a pregnancy I've kinda gotten used to being a pincushion and will donate afterwards whenever I pass the test.

Andi98989
04-08-2010, 07:05 PM
I donated blood once and have no plans to do so again. The actual donation process went fine, but while I was sitting at the table having my juice and cookie I remember starting to feel funny and saying "nurse, I don't ..." and next thing I know I am on the floor with people standing over me asking "what's your name?" Not fun. I felt funky for a few days after that. Even now, when I have to get a few vials of blood drawn for lab work I feel goofy for a few hours. Apparently I'm rather attached to my blood.

♥ms.pacman♥
04-08-2010, 07:08 PM
Yep- every eight weeks since January 2003, with the exception of taking a year off to have DD.

My reason may seem silly. In December of 2002, my amazing dog Osa was diagnosed with liver cancer and had to get a couple transfusions while we determined what could be done. Having worked for years in a vet hospital, I knew how rare it was to have a donor dog on site, and was so thankful that option was available for us. It only bought us a few extra days, but it was enough time to know that we were making the best decisions for her.

After I lost my beautiful, special dog, it occurred to me that I could donate and make that kind of difference for people- to help someone’s child, parent, spouse.

So I do it for Osa. And to thank the universe for giving me such a wonderful companion that helped raise me and make me a better person. :heartbeat:

oh what a touching story, thank you for sharing. i dont' think that is a "silly" reason at all. i think of it too as helping someone else's loved one.

ewpmsw
04-08-2010, 07:44 PM
I donate, although it's been a while (meds, pregnancy, laziness.) I used to do it all the time at work. I figured I have blood, people need blood, it doesn't cost me anything but time to share it.

I don't think it hurts much when they insert the needle. It really depends on the person taking the blood. Just try not to look and think about something else. Squeezing the squeezie ball tight in your other hand might help get you over the initial OW of it all. Once the blood is flowing into the bag, it doesn't take long and hurts even less than the insertion. Allow time to sit and have a cookie and drink afterwards to decrease your risk of feeling sick and fainting. Having a magazine or friend with you will make the time go faster and keep your mind off what is happening.

3blackcats
04-08-2010, 07:45 PM
They won't let me donate blood because I lived in the United Kingdom. Worried about Mad Cow Disease.

I would love to give blood if I could. A really good friend of mine daughter was diagnosed w/ Leukemia. People would give blood in her name and she would get credit for the donations. Platelets are what they really need.

ncat
04-08-2010, 07:55 PM
I don't currently and likely won't again.
I have fainted twice during/after donating.
The last time I donated I had a terrible phlebotomist, blood squirted up to my shoulder, and I had a bruise for 2 weeks.
I hate the constant phone calls I've gotten after I've gotten on the donater list.

gatorsmom
04-08-2010, 08:23 PM
I've tried to give blood 3 times. In college they said my blood wasn't good enough for some reason (not enough iron? I can't remember), and then I tried in France and at work I tried and nearly passed out both times. Before I had children the sight of blood or needles made me pass out. 3c/sections pretty much cured that.

I would say that it doesn't actually hurt that much at least not any more than having an IV. It was never the pain that made me queasy. It was the sight of my blood draining into a bag. But I think I should try it again because I don't think it would make me queasy anymore. Donating is a wonderful thing to do!

Corie
04-08-2010, 08:37 PM
I used to do it all the time in college and after. I haven't done it in quite
awhile though. I have one of the rarer types of blood so they used to call
me ALL THE TIME!

For me, it doesn't really hurt. But I am not bothered by needles.

kerridean
04-08-2010, 08:39 PM
Why or why not?
Care to describe how the pain compares to other things for those of us who are too chicken to do it? :wink2:

Thanks!

Every 8 weeks, like clockwork. It does not bother me at all...no real pain. Just make sure you do drink too much the day you donate. I made that mistake once and the Bunco group thought I had gone crazy:).

infomama
04-08-2010, 09:11 PM
I donated once in high school and I passed out. I really should do it again..there are drives near my work all the time and I remember a couple of years ago when my mom needed some blood how thankful I was someone had taken the time to donate. They treated that blood like gold.

Carrots
04-08-2010, 09:28 PM
I donated once in college and I watched a person faint in front of me. I almost left, but I stayed and donated. I remember (dramatically) thinking they were trying to get into my vein with a needle the size of a drinking straw because it hurt so much.

I am way over any fear of needles by now, after doing 3 rounds of IVF and several other IF treatments where I had to have blood draws every other day. I wonder if giving would bother me as much as it did the first time?

gobadgers
04-08-2010, 09:37 PM
When I was working, the company would have blood drives a few times a year. I went in for the several years, but it eventually got to be too difficult. I think the nurses I saw were always pros at finding veins, but mine seem to be very thin and shy. I had a couple bad experiences (which included my co-worker next to me passing out as a result!) and now I don't generally go. I feel really bad about it but its just such an ordeal. Blood samples are tough for me too. And I am AB+ so although my blood is helpful, of course, it is in less demand than a universal donor.

LexyLou
04-08-2010, 10:05 PM
I used to, but I can't anymore now that I have MS. They don't want my blood. LOL.

lalasmama
04-08-2010, 10:29 PM
I have donated in the past, but stopped many years ago when I was having problems with my liver, and walked around jaundiced for months. Turns out you can't donate when you are jaundiced. They continued to call though, and I finally told them that I can't donate while they are figuring out if I have liver cancer. I didn't get another call after that.

Now that we know what's wrong (Gilbert Syndrome), I would willing give again, but I have a ADHD 6 year old, and no one to watch her during my donation.

alleycat
04-08-2010, 10:33 PM
No, I don't. I would like to but I'm deathly afraid of needles and the sight of blood being drawn makes me sick. I was asked in high school but before I could say no, I was asked how much I weighed. Apparently, I don't weigh enough to give blood. So now if someone asks, I just tell them I don't weigh enough instead of admitting to my needle-phobia.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
04-08-2010, 11:18 PM
Of course! They give you juice and cookies, what's not to love??

pinkmomagain
04-08-2010, 11:19 PM
I did for the first time about a month ago. I did it because my dd's school was doing a drive and they have the kids help out with snacks, registration, etc. I nearly passed out though....and I'm normally very stoic. I'm in no rush to go back!

graciebellesmomma
04-09-2010, 03:30 AM
I do not, but I wish that I could. I am AB-, less than
1% of people have it, so it would be good to bank it or
donate it for others with the same blood type.

I did while I was high school, but I fainted when I was in
my early 20's while having blood taken and just can't do it
anymore. I also have some auto immune things going on now,
so probably not a good idea.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
04-09-2010, 03:37 AM
Not since DD. It makes me tired the rest of the day, and a bit the next day. After I have my thyroid tumor removed and I am on meds, not sure they will want it????

army_mom
04-09-2010, 03:46 AM
I used to give blood all the time. I worked as a lab tech and working the donor center was part of our rotation. I will have to wait some time before I can donate again after deployment but I will definitely donate on a regular basis to the military blood banks as they send blood overseas. And I have a pretty universal blood type with no aversion to needles (I can even draw my own blood)
And as PP said, if you have a newbie taking your blood it can be a painful process as it is a big needle so if they dig around or miss your vein, it could hurt. But if your phlebotomist is good, it is just like any blood draw in the Dr. Office. If you ever do go an are afraid of needles, tell them that and ask for an experienced person to draw your blood, it may help.

klwa
04-09-2010, 06:39 AM
Did you have an IV during labor? It's pretty much the same as that to me. Pain when the needle goes in. A dull ache while the blood is coming out. (Doesn't really hurt, just uncomfortable.) And then my arm (& me) feels week for the rest of the day, into the next. I've onyl given 2 times though. Nothing compared to some of these ladies.

egoldber
04-09-2010, 06:46 AM
I passed out when I tried to donate in high school. Then for many years I was on a med that you couldn't donate blood and then we went to Africa and we couldn't donate for awhile after that. So I guess I got out of the habit.

I also get very woozy even after bood draws. The actual drawing of blood and the needle does not bother me at all though. I think I am just very sensitive to changes in blood pressure.

DH is very good about it though and he goes every 8 weeks.

elephantmeg
04-09-2010, 08:59 AM
I used to and believe in it but then they changed the regulations and if you ever lived in Congo Zaire (Democratic Republic of Congo) you can't. I was born there and lived there 11 years so oh well. There for a while I had a ton of the no factors-malaria, international travel to France/UK, and living in DRC. Lol. I really wish I could!

nov04
04-09-2010, 09:01 AM
I don't donate but feel guilty. I've been told by many different techs in different cities that its like trying to get blood from a stone by sticking me! It's not worth it.

My father received 8 units during cancer surgery 3y ago (He passed a year ago). I will always be thankful to all blood donors who made it possible for him to have extra time. I've already signed my organ donor card and discussed my wishes with dh.

sunnyside
04-09-2010, 12:08 PM
I don't think it hurts to give blood. It's slightly uncomfortable and you get used to it. I haven't been as good about it lately and am pregnant now so not going to (or can't I'm not sure). I used to go about twice a year. It's a really nice thing to do for your community and I consider it to be a normal community service type of thing that you do.

No one should feel like they have to or guilty if they don't though, it's a personal choice.

khalloc
04-09-2010, 12:35 PM
No, because I hate getting needles. But I would if someone asked me to do it with them. I just dont make the effort to do it myself.

lowrioh
04-09-2010, 12:41 PM
I give whenever I'm eligible. I had to get the Rh shots before and after DD was born so that put me out of the donor pool for a while.
The last couple of times I gave the "double reds" which takes a lot longer but then your intervals between blood donations is longer.
I do hate that the Vampires call ALL.THE.TIME thought.

I don't think it hurts at all....but I have great veins...I guess it depends on the person who is doing the stick.

erosenst
04-09-2010, 01:25 PM
For a couple of medical reasons (terrible veins, so they often have trouble getting enough for routine blood work, among other things) I can't. But I always volunteer to help if someone is running one, and have signed up for the national bone marrow registry.

I totally agree with the 'civic duty' component of it.