PDA

View Full Version : Gifts for caregivers at daycare?

Sweetum
04-08-2010, 08:53 PM
DS has been going to the daycare for last 2 months, and this month he started full-time. Wondering if there is some etiquette/tradition where caregivers at the daycare are given gifts. Anyone?

Thanks,
SunshineAndMe

mskitty
04-09-2010, 01:03 AM
DS has been going to the daycare for last 2 months, and this month he started full-time. Wondering if there is some etiquette/tradition where caregivers at the daycare are given gifts. Anyone?

Thanks,
SunshineAndMe

I asked the director of our daycare last fall. She said nothing is expected at ours. I did write a nice thank you card and included a recent picture when one of the teachers left a few weeks ago, who had been the main teacher in the babyroom the entire time we've been there. The teacher was very touched by it.

Personally I favor inexpensive small items or gift cards. It's challenging. You don't necessarily know their personal tastes, if they have dietary restrictions, allergies to lotions/candles, etc. For Valentine's Day, I did send a multipack of conversation hearts as a little something.

mskitty

klwa
04-09-2010, 06:43 AM
I usually give a gift card around Teacher Appreciation Day & Chirstmas. Usually to Target or Walmart, because I know they'll be used that way.

wellyes
04-09-2010, 07:48 AM
Cash at Christmas, otherwise no.

BabyMine
04-09-2010, 08:29 AM
Cash at Christmas, otherwise no.

:yeahthat: I also do something for Teacher Appreciation Week which will be May 2-8th.

khalloc
04-09-2010, 08:31 AM
I give a gift at Xmas. I also might give a going-away present, if a teacher I REALLY REALLY like ends up leaving the school.

MaiseyDog
04-09-2010, 09:04 AM
I give a gift card at christmas and then a gift card and a thank you note when the girls move out of that teachers room.

swrc00
04-09-2010, 09:13 AM
I ususally give a gift for the holidays and something small for Valentine's day. I have realized though that because of the way the rooms are developmentally grouped and how DS's birthday falls some of DS's teachers would never get a gift. I have started giving a gift when DS moves to a new room to his old teachers to compensate for this.