PDA

View Full Version : Safe weed killer anyone?

infomama
04-08-2010, 11:31 PM
It's that time of year. DH fills up the big pump sprayer with chemical weed killer and goes to town. I stopped his last week because we were out on the playset on a windy day and he was starting to spray the weeds that were showing up in the gravel. Anyone know of a safe weed killer, that is non toxic/environmentally safe that actually works?

trales
04-08-2010, 11:58 PM
For gravel, you can use boiling water.

The most effective way is to dig them up.

sariana
04-09-2010, 12:01 AM
Yeah, I was going to say a shovel. Or rather a weed puller, which is a really cool tool with a two-tined end. It gets down under the roots and pulls up the whole weed, so it can't grow back.

infomama
04-09-2010, 12:06 AM
I'll try the boiling water as a puller of sorts would shred our 'weed barrier'. Perhaps vinegar may work, too. Anyone tried that?

ThreeofUs
04-09-2010, 12:12 AM
I'll try the boiling water as a puller of sorts would shred our 'weed barrier'. Perhaps vinegar may work, too. Anyone tried that?

Apple cider vinegar works for me. I use gloves to apply to plants in a garden, but spray or spoon it full strength on any plant in concrete, brick, etc.

Some things still need to be dug up, or they come back.

GL!

oneplustwo
04-09-2010, 08:53 AM
I use plain ol' white vinegar on the weeds that pop up between the stones in our walkway and find it works well. Be careful not to get it on grass or it will kill that off too.

JTsMom
04-09-2010, 09:17 AM
I had started a thread on the same thing a few days ago. There are a couple of ideas there.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=355686&highlight=lawn

I've seen all sorts of vinegar+ other stuff concoctions online.

infomama
04-09-2010, 02:33 PM
Thanks Lori, I missed that thread. Will check it out.