PDA

View Full Version : Whats a good diaper bag for going on day trips with 4 kids?

swissair81
04-09-2010, 04:18 PM
I hope by the time my 4th is born in the summer, my 3 year old will be out of diapers. I guess I can't assume though. I also have a 17 month old & a 7 year old. I'd like to have room for diapers, wipes, changes of clothing (for the younger ones) & snacks. I'm guessing it has to be pretty large. I'd prefer to not have a backpack, as I usually wear my infants (& I can't have so much weight on my back). Any suggestions?

Armywife1stDr2nd
04-09-2010, 08:37 PM
Hi.

Have you looked at the Ju Ju Be "be prepared"? I'm a huge over packer but with only one I can't really justify such a huge bag. It still looks awesome to me and may work for what you need. I have been told however that it can get pretty heavy.

vahnessuh
04-10-2010, 04:37 AM
I was going to ditto on the OP's suggestion about the JuJuBe BePrepared but then I thought about a few things. Are you going to be bringing a stroller for these day trips? Is your husband going to be with you on these outings?

I had a BePrepared but had to trade/sell it because it was just too big and heavy for me (I'm 5'3, 125 lbs). I have a Bugaboo Cameleon and it still would tip that stroller when I hang it there.

I was just thinking that with 4 kids, you're definitely going to be stuffing it full. And it's going to get very heavy. While I love JJBs especially for organization, they are heavy bags to begin with. I'm just thinking that it's probably not going to be practical for you especially with 4 kids. The hubby can carry it for you though... but he might complain too.

Do you really need a diaper bag? I know they come with great organization and lots of pockets... but I was thinking that something big while at the same time lightweight might work best for you. I'm not current with Lesportsac since I don't follow the brand anymore... but maybe one of their smaller weekender/overnight bag would probably work best for you. You can stuff it full and it's still relatively light. You can probably just use a change pad from one of your diaper bags... and then use little pouches (like the JuJuBe BeQuick) to organize the inside.

I guess, I was just thinking that with 4 kids you're probably going to have your hands full of them that the last thing you need is a heavy bag.

I just looked at the Lesportsac website and they have these:
Small Weekender: http://www.lesportsac.com/store/7384_3006.html
Medium Weekender: http://www.lesportsac.com/store/7184_5205.html
If you prefer totes:
Travel tote: http://www.lesportsac.com/store/7008_3820.html
Passerby Handbag: http://www.lesportsac.com/store/7842_3006.html

If you have an outlet near you, you could get these for almost half the price.

ang79
04-10-2010, 05:21 PM
I have a Vera Bradley Weekender that I use for weekend travel with my two girls. I think its about the same size as the JJB BePrepared but cheaper and lighter weight! I like all the pockets and that it has tote straps and a messenger strap. I got mine off Ebay for cheaper than you can get it at the VB website.

Also, JuJuBe now has a lightweight large tote bag that retails for $48 called the MightyBe. I'd love to get one to pack spare clothes, toys, etc. for all day trips to visit family and friends. They also make it in their new Earth Leather (will be available in May I think?) and the Earth Leather is a bit more structured and solid colors if you don't like patterns (but it costs a bit more too).

Armywife1stDr2nd
04-11-2010, 08:58 AM
I was also going to suggest the VB weekender if you are going the weekender route! I have one for myself when we go on trips. It is super light and some designs are on sale right now on the VB site.

swissair81
04-11-2010, 10:14 AM
Are you going to be bringing a stroller for these day trips? Is your husband going to be with you on these outings?

When I go out on real trips (as opposed to a play area at the mall or something) I take my BJ City Mini double. I usually hang my diaper bag on my mommy hook, so I can have hands free. I've never had problems with tipping. Whether my husband is with me, depends on the outing & whether he has something else to do. Usually by myself though. I like JJB's. I have a Packabe. I just think that I'm tight enough on space as it is in there with only 3. Have to check out some of your weekender links. Thanks.

bunnisa
04-22-2010, 06:42 PM
I have 4 too, and I really love my Skip Hop City Chic if I'm going to be bringing a stroller. It's large enough for everything, has great stroller clips, and the sturdy side pockets hold my drink upright while it's hanging from the clips. I have a ton of other bags and like this one the best.

Gilt has 3 colors on sale right now too.

vahnessuh
04-23-2010, 04:49 PM
Wow... if you have 4 and only need a SH City Chic... you're either an amazing packer or a light packer. :bighand: I had one and it was sometimes too small for me... and I only have one daughter! And this is just for a normal outing... like to the mall or something. For a daytrip, I probably would need two of them!

bunnisa
04-26-2010, 12:59 PM
Wow... if you have 4 and only need a SH City Chic... you're either an amazing packer or a light packer. :bighand: I had one and it was sometimes too small for me... and I only have one daughter! And this is just for a normal outing... like to the mall or something. For a daytrip, I probably would need two of them!

LOL! I just went to an outdoor festival yesterday and only brought the Studio. I don't think I'm a light packer, either.

Here's what I keep in the City Chic:

2 JJB Be Quick pouches -- one with family stuff (sunscreen, lip balm, bandaids, travel toothbrush, notebook & pen, etc), one with kids stuff (barrettes, hair brush & comb, paci, extra onesie, extra pair of socks)

1 small bag (from a makeup GWP) with my stuff (lipstick etc)

4 diapers in the inside pocket/s

3 Bumkins bibs in another pocket (they fold up very small)

2 bottles/sippies in the inside sippy pockets

1 or 2 bottles in the outside pockets (with drinks for me &/or the children)

1 pack of wipes in an inside pocket

My wallet

An Envirosax bag & a Flip & Tumble bag

My sunglasses case

My small point & shoot camera

My phone goes in the inside zippered pocket or the outside zippered pocket on the clutch

There's an included changing pad in the outside pocket.

Yesterday I also had a Neat Sheet rolled up and snapped under the outside blanket holder on the Studio tote.