PDA

View Full Version : Would you register for a second baby??

newg
04-09-2010, 05:44 PM
I know I'm going to have some family and close friends that are going to want to get things for this baby and will be asking me for ideas.
My mom even made the comment on Thursday when we found out it's a girl, that she doesn't know what to get us since we have everything from DD.

So I was wondering if it's a big "no-no" to register for things.......like nursery stuff (crib sheets, lamp/shade, curtains, decorative stuff) Beside another monitor and the double stroller, there really isn't anything else.

I told my sis I don't want another full-blown shower, or even a sprinkle, since it's another girl.........but maybe a "welcome home baby" celebration after the baby is born (she loves to throw parties and already commented on my next shower).

So I was thinking maybe if I had some stuff picked out, like at PBK or BRU, I could just direct people that way if they ask me for gift ideas, rather than me with my mommy brain, trying to think of something on the spot.

hillview
04-09-2010, 06:06 PM
I didn't and I didn't have a shower. Congratulations!
/hillary

AnnieW625
04-09-2010, 06:06 PM
I am not having a shower for this baby, but my Grandma had started to ask what we would need and so I thought it might be helpful to have it just in case. I have a registries at Amazon, Target, and BRUS. I did Target because some people might prefer local to online, and BRUS doesn't exist in my home town like it does here. I am not expecting much from any of them. It's more of just a list. Here is a post I did a couple of weeks ago on the same topic. I have moved some of the things from Amazon to Target and BRUS. I also added things like wipes I like (Natural Baby Care, and BRUS Supreme, and diapers on BRUS, and Target)
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=354601

LD92599
04-09-2010, 06:20 PM
I did register and i know i'm having a shower (however i don't know details). But...there's a 7 year difference too, so maybe that makes a difference? And my circle of friends this time around is fairly different except for a few key really close friends.

misshollygolightly
04-09-2010, 06:25 PM
I'd totally register--if only for the little pack of freebies they give you when you create a registry and for the coupons they often send afterward to help you "complete" your registry! Maybe it's just me, but I don't think it's tacky at all (now, forcing others to throw you shower after shower or something might be another story).

LarsMal
04-09-2010, 06:31 PM
I didn't register because my kids were only 16 months apart. I had everything I needed (except a double stroller) and everything was still like new! I didn't have a shower either- probably b/c my friends/family figured they had just thrown me one.

Since DD was my first girl I got a lot of clothes after she was born, but that was really it.

I like the idea of a "welcome home baby" party. If you want to register for a few things, go for it. I, personally, wouldn't announce that I had registered, but you'd have back-up in case people started bugging you for gift ideas. I don't think there's anything wrong with that at all.

codex57
04-09-2010, 06:33 PM
We did, but it was mainly for stuff like diapers, bottles, etc. Stuff that we either constantly need or got wore out from kid #1.

Carrots
04-09-2010, 06:34 PM
Congratulations! I am also having a second girl.

I will not be registering for this baby because I have more than enough left over from DD. I am taking the crib my parents bought for their house for DD1 and using it for DD2. I am buying a double jogger and a new sling.

I decided not to have a shower for DD1, but I did register (I can't stand going to them or being the subject of them). There were other personal reasons why I didn't want one.

:)

Carrots
04-09-2010, 06:36 PM
I'd totally register--if only for the little pack of freebies they give you when you create a registry and for the coupons they often send afterward to help you "complete" your registry!

You make a very good point.

citymama
04-09-2010, 06:59 PM
Yay for 2 girls! :cheerleader1:

I did register at diapers.com and target.com - just for the coupons and discounts and free stuff! The only person who has asked me if I'm registered is my sister, who was one of the only people who bought me things off my registry the first time! I registered for the utterly practical, no-nonsense stuff I know I need - Ergo insert, breastfeeding supplies (Lansinoh storage bags, pump replacement parts), some new crib sheets, wash cloths, and BPA free bottles. Oh yes, and diaper pail liners - who on earth would buy that for me? ;) Target also has Aden and Anais swaddling blankets, which are nice.

But again, I am not expecting a single purchase to be made from my registry - it's a way for me to keep track of what I need to get, and to (fingers crossed) get Target coupons for baby stuff!

ged
04-09-2010, 07:10 PM
I am tempted to, but something just doesn't sit quite right with it, so I think I am going to pass. I am also having a second girl, 5 years apart...so we just need stuff like washcloths, towels, etc. We have about 6 months left on her old snugride before it expires,so we will use that as well.

I splurged and got some stuff on my own like Aden and Anais swaddlers...they weren't available with my DD1, and some fancy burp cloths, since I am so tired of the gerber cloth diapers. For me, buying stuff is giving me something to do as I lie here on bed rest,and it's kinda fun, since this one will most likely be our last.

Otoh, no one has really asked us if we want or need anything. I have a feeling we are not going to get many gifts from friends/relatives, but who knows.

edurnemk
04-09-2010, 07:15 PM
Some friends and cousins have had "diaper showers" for their second baby, especially if it's the same gender as the first. That just means a baby shower, where people give you packs of diapers as a gift. Everything else is just like a baby shower, including the silly games. Of course this only works if you have plenty of space to store the diapers and you don't mind not getting a specific brand.

sariana
04-09-2010, 07:24 PM
We lived in a new neighborhood for #2, and my neighbors wanted to give me a shower (which was really nice of them!!!). We didn't really need anything except clothes because #1 was a boy and #2 was a girl. But I don't generally register for clothes, and people can generally figure out clothes on their own.

Just so I had something for people to refer to, I created a couple of registries. I ended up putting mostly decor items on there: bathroom stuff (duck theme), a few decorative items for the baby's room (flower theme), and things like hooded towels. That way they could see what our colors and such were, and they could choose items from the registry, or not.

And I did think of the completer coupon thing and ended up using it at Target.

lilycat88
04-09-2010, 07:35 PM
We did. Several reasons.
Our neighborhood wants to do something for us.
They will be 6 years apart and different genders.
I wanted it recorded somewhere EASY what we want/need in case this guy comes early so I can just send someone out to get "X" that is on the registry list.

DietCokeLover
04-09-2010, 08:07 PM
I did because ds was born 11 mos after dd and I was still using everything with dd. I didn't make a big deal out of having one, but if someone asked about anything we needed I could point them to the registry for some ideas.

JoyNChrist
04-09-2010, 08:17 PM
I like the idea of a "welcome home baby" party. If you want to register for a few things, go for it. I, personally, wouldn't announce that I had registered, but you'd have back-up in case people started bugging you for gift ideas. I don't think there's anything wrong with that at all.

:yeahthat:

That's what I had planned to do for this pregnancy, but multiple family members have made it clear that I'm getting a shower no matter what, so the point is moot. :rolleyes:

momof2girls
04-09-2010, 08:32 PM
No, I did not have one for DD#2. My kids are 2.5 yrs apart.

sewarsh
04-09-2010, 08:40 PM
My BF did adn I thought it was strange...until my time came 3 months later! I did as well becuase MIL friends always got us gift. I registered for more sheets, bedding, etc. since DD was still in crib and double stroller.

scmama
04-09-2010, 08:50 PM
DS will be 20 months when his little sister gets here in July. A friend is throwing me a second shower and convinced me to register. Honestly, the 2nd shower and registering for a 2nd baby seems a little weird for me (I don't like a lot of attention directed at me). Plus, all my stuff is in great condition and practically brand new so I just registered for new bottle nipples, sheets, hooded towels in girl colors, you know...very basic stuff. I am not telling people I registered, but if they ask I'll direct them to it. I mostly did it for the coupons.

ourbabygirl
04-09-2010, 09:12 PM
Sorry; don't mean to hijack this thread, but I was wondering what percentage off (or whatever) the coupons from BRU and Target are for (if you know). DC2 is due this October (only two years after DC1), so I really don't need much and know that no one would give us a shower or anything. But it would be nice to be able to get some new things discounted all in one transaction (diapers, etc.). Especially if the second is of a different gender. :)

Thanks! :)

Andi98989
04-09-2010, 09:13 PM
I would so that I could get coupons, completion discounts, etc... I think at BRU that some of their sales flyers are tied to having an active registry.

newg
04-09-2010, 09:48 PM
Okay, thanks for the feedback!!
I think I will create a small registry and if people ask for ideas or stores I like, then I will mention the registry......otherwise I won't say a thing.
I think I may get a neighborhood "diaper" shower. I'm going to one for another neighbor tomorrow. Now of the ones I've been to, the person's second baby has been a different gender than the first......so I don't know if I'll be off the list for that.

And like some pp mentioned..........the coupons will be great to have!! Does anyone know if PBK does a registry coupon??

Corie
04-09-2010, 09:51 PM
I did not register for baby #2 and I turned down my friend's request
for her to host a shower.

(FWIW, my kids are 3 years apart and they are the opposite sex.)

MMMommy
04-09-2010, 10:15 PM
No, I didn't create a second registry. DDs are 14 months apart, so I had everything already. Although a registry is practical and efficient, I think it still gives off the message that you do want a gift of some sort (even if you do not want gifts or don't intend to give that message). Even if it is to get registry discounts (and not for friends or family to see), the existence of the registry may still give off the "I want a gift" vibe.

jerigirl
04-10-2010, 10:35 AM
I'd totally register--if only for the little pack of freebies they give you when you create a registry and for the coupons they often send afterward to help you "complete" your registry! Maybe it's just me, but I don't think it's tacky at all (now, forcing others to throw you shower after shower or something might be another story).
You don't have to go around announcing that you have a registry but if someone asks you can point them to the lists. They don't have to shop from it if they don't want to.

♥ms.pacman♥
04-10-2010, 10:51 AM
You don't have to go around announcing that you have a registry but if someone asks you can point them to the lists. They don't have to shop from it if they don't want to.

i don't think it matters much how far apart the kids are or the gender..even if they are close together,the first DC may still be using the type of stuff you need for second baby (crib, high chair, etc).

i would register only because often times family members etc ask what they can buy, if registry exists, etc. my SIL registered for her 3rd baby, and got a shower (mostly family) with tons of gifts. as long as there is no expectation that others throw you a shower and/or buy you gifts, i don't see anything wrong with registering for 2nd, 3rd baby etc. even for my 1st, i mainly registered with the idea to simply organize a "checklist" of stuff that i needed/wanted to get for baby. i only said where i was registered if people specifically asked (which they did).

Cam&Clay
04-10-2010, 12:41 PM
I registered and someone gave me a very big shower for DS2, but my boys are 9 years apart. I had gotten rid of everything from DS1 except for some of his clothes. I think since I had remarried and had a new house, etc., they considered it a fresh start. I was very grateful!

ewpmsw
04-10-2010, 12:56 PM
Congratulations! I am also having a second girl.

I will not be registering for this baby because I have more than enough left over from DD. I am taking the crib my parents bought for their house for DD1 and using it for DD2. I am buying a double jogger and a new sling.

I decided not to have a shower for DD1, but I did register (I can't stand going to them or being the subject of them). There were other personal reasons why I didn't want one.

:)

Same here, almost all the way. I'm going to register for DD#2 because people keep asking about it, but am not a fan of registries or showers. I'm not expecting a shower, but knowing our friends, one may pop up and we'll be gracious and enjoy it. We have a lot of friends who've had a shower for every kid, and friends who are horrified at the mention of a shower for #2 or beyond. Seems to be a matter of personal preference. Congrats!

tmphilo
04-10-2010, 01:59 PM
I did register, but mostly for diapers and necessities. I'm not really telling anyone I'm registered, just did it mostly to track things I need to get. Also, the completion coupons are nice. PBK's is 10% for 6 months after I believe (no coupon necessary, just refer to your registry when you pay). Target and BRU both sent 10% off remaining items coupons as well. My mom is throwing a small shower for me (just a few family members) since she wanted to do something for the new baby.

maestramommy
04-10-2010, 02:11 PM
I didn't for my second (or third) but that's because we knew we weren't having any showers, and nobody was asking what we needed. In your case if you have a lot of friends and/or family asking, I would consider registering, in order to avoid a lot of unnecessary stuff.

sariana
04-10-2010, 02:28 PM
Does anyone know if PBK does a registry coupon??

I think so, but don't quote me on that.

DebbieJ
04-10-2010, 02:55 PM
well, my two are six years apart so I did register and I did have a shower. When ds1 was born, I lived 2000 miles away so I never had a real shower.

wellyes
04-10-2010, 03:04 PM
I don't live near family and didn't register for #1 or #2 (though I did get two surprise showers for #1. People are so awesome sometimes).

I don't think I'd bother registering for #2 anyway since I can get most anything for at least the 10% off that you'd get for jumping through the registry hoops. Not bragging, just - once you start watching here, slickdeals, retailmenot, etc and 10% off becomes the standard.

AnnieW625
04-10-2010, 09:23 PM
In regards to Pottery Barn Kids and registry completer discount code:

I think so, but don't quote me on that.

They didn't in 2006, in fact neither did BRUS, and Target. I just started getting random coupons from BRUS, and Target within weeks of my due date. I constantly got Target coupons about once a quarter and still do even though DD is now 4.

newg
04-10-2010, 10:17 PM
yeah.............BRU has better coupons just for buying something in the store 20% vs. the registry coupons. So I won't bother with that coupon, but I will probably put a few things on there in case someone wants to look at it for ideas.
The PBK coupon excites me 'cause there stuff (curtains and lamps) can be kinda pricy!!

fortato
04-10-2010, 10:26 PM
I'm having a shower (That I don't know about) in 2 weeks for my second baby....

My kids are going to be 4 years apart...and this time around, I like the idea that MY friends are going to be there, instead of my mother's friends and relatives. It's not so much for the gifts, as it is for the company.... but I did register again. Just for new things- like BPA free bottles, and things that have come out since I had Jack....

I am glad I'm registering, because it gives me a better idea of what's out there this time...what's new, and what I might actually USE this time instead of just getting because it was cute.

I say go for it. What's the worst that can happen... you get something you actually WANT????