PDA

View Full Version : Some questions about taxis

jess_g
04-09-2010, 06:04 PM
I took a taxi today with my 10 yr old ds. we take public transport a lot, but taxis are a treat. It was early in the am and there was a line of taxis waiting to pick up passangers. This was in a big city. Should we walk to the front of the line and take the first one, or is it ok to take one in the middle? (the one in the middle was a minivan which we would have prefered).
ETA: No one else was waiting for a taxi so there was no line for them. Also we walked up to the line of taxes from the back if that matters.

Also is there a guideline for how much to tip? I gave the driver $20 for a $16 trip. Was that exceptable?

Sorry if the typing is bad, I am not used to typing on my iPod touch.

Thanks,

Jessica.

mmsmom
04-09-2010, 07:17 PM
You absolutely have to go to the front of the line. If you really wanted the minivan then you could keep letting people go on front of you until the minivan was next in line. 20 was more than acceptable... I think normal is 10-15% unless driver is helping with bags then I would do more.

wellyes
04-09-2010, 07:25 PM
Yes, etiquette says you have to go to the front. If you'd tried any of the others they would have pointed you to the front car anyway.

I tip 15% or a bit more if that's easier to do in whole dollars. If I had $19 on me (a ten, a five and four ones) for a $16 ride I'd have given that, if I just had a $20 I'd have given that and not asked for change.