PDA

View Full Version : recycling in a super small house

neeleymartin
04-09-2010, 07:34 PM
i really want to start recycling more than just newspapers and magazines. problem is that our house is tiny. 800-1000 sq.ft. the kitchen, where we keep the trash is about 10'x10' (the floor space is even smaller). we don't have a garage.

where do people with no space find it to recycle?!?!? i would love to recycle, but i am scratching my head about where to put this stuff (bins, bags or the like). is there an outdoor recycling center that someone could recommend? or any other idea for tight spaces? tia.

wellyes
04-09-2010, 07:59 PM
I have 3 very slim garbage cans next to one another in a corner - like this:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31TPDH5J79L._SL500_AA280_.jpg
One for trash, one for paper, one for cans/bottles.

Andi98989
04-09-2010, 09:16 PM
I have some Gorm shelves from Ikea with lidded bins on it that I keep outside the back door in the garage. I have one for paper, one for glass bottles to go back to the grocery store, and one for plastic/metal/glass recycling.

jenstring95
04-09-2010, 10:36 PM
Is there any way you could put it directly in the trunk of your car? You could also see if you can get a petition together to lobby for curbside recycling if you don't already have it. Weekly pickup wouldn't allow for too much piling up...

Carrots
04-09-2010, 10:47 PM
We have a small house and no garage too.

We keep 2 small white trash containers next to our regular trash container in the area that leads off our kitchen to our basement stairs. We use 1 for soda cans and the other for recycle plastic/paper/glass, etc. When it gets full, we just bring the container outside to our city issued recycle bins and empty. Our recycles are picked up once a week.

Before I was pregnant I would bring the city recycle bins inside and line them up next to the basement stairs (the stairs are open on either side). When I needed to toss a milk container or news paper, I would just toss the item into the bin from the top of the stairs. (sometimes I would get a hit, and other times I would miss ;))