PDA

View Full Version : 1st bike suggestions for a 5.5 yr old

HIU8
04-09-2010, 07:51 PM
who is just learning how to ride in general.

What type of bike would you get? We have a 10 inch from a neighbor which really is to small for DS. we were thinking of letting him learn to ride on it, but not sure since he seems so scrunched up when riding. Any suggestions for a first bike for a child who is just coming into his coordination and motor planning.

KrisM
04-09-2010, 08:07 PM
Can you take the pedals off the 10 inch? That's probably the size of our balance bike and DS still rides it for fun. But, it might get some of the balance issues out of the way before a bigger bike. As for size, I'd probably look at a 16 inch. DS got that at 4 and it still fits him well at nearly 6.

AnnieW625
04-09-2010, 10:13 PM
We just bought DD a 16" bike (she is just about 40" tall), but you might want to take him to a bike shop and have him sized, he might actually be ready for the next sized bike. Yeah the 10" bike will be way too small. I think balance bikes are somewhere between 12" and 16" bikes.

WatchingThemGrow
04-09-2010, 11:01 PM
I think you should take him to a shop that sells Treks and try him out on the FLOAT (http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/kids/ages_4_6/float/)! It's a cool bike, and he'd probably be the perfect size! It can be a balance bike first, then YOU (not the bike shop) put the pedals back on yourself when he's got the balance thing down and is ready to pedal. My kids are doing balance bikes and DD is riding around with her legs out in the air 1/2 the time. I'm going to wait until she's good and ready to get on the pedal bike. She's a little too small for the Trek Float or the Jet I got for $7 on CL. Your DD could probably use it once he outgrows it. Watch the videos on the Trek site.