PDA

View Full Version : Quick Veggie Garden Question

mommylamb
04-09-2010, 08:14 PM
DS and I are going to plant some vegetables (cucumbers, zucchini and green beans), and we're hoping to do the planting tomorrow. I've never done anything like this before, but I thought I would have to soak the seeds overnight. I was just looking at the packages and none of them say anything about soaking. Does that mean I don't have to do it, or do seed companies just assume that everyone knows that they need to soak the seeds?

Thanks!

sewarsh
04-09-2010, 08:26 PM
I just plants LOADS of seeds for about 10 kinds of veggies. The only one i read to soad overnight was cucumbers. I did and they look great (1 month later). Also, all the ohter veggies that i didn't soak also look good. We did not plant zucchini so i can't give any advice there.

MommyAllison
04-09-2010, 08:51 PM
I never soak the seeds for any vegetables, and have no issues. The seed packets would say to, if you needed to. Have fun! :)

elephantmeg
04-09-2010, 08:59 PM
Can I hijack and add a question? (And BTW I've never soaked either!). We planted tomatoes in the little pellet greenhouse. When/how do I tranplant them into something bigger? They are tall, 2 leaved and I cut out the multiples. I bought some little peat pots should I go ahead and plan them in those? I probably will ground plant them in a few weeks (May 10 is our last frost date)

mommylamb
04-09-2010, 09:06 PM
No worries on hijacking. I'm curious about the tomatoes too. I want to plant those as well, but thought I'd buy a plant and transplant it rather than attempt to go from seeds.

elephantmeg
04-09-2010, 09:09 PM
that's what I usually do but I wanted lots of romas to make/can sauce and salsa this summer so I planted 15 plants!

sariana
04-09-2010, 09:13 PM
I have never heard of soaking seeds. I would just plant them in the soil.

As for tomatoes, the only thing I can say is that you will need a "cage" to support the growing tomato plant.

Meatball Mommie
04-09-2010, 09:32 PM
Re: soaking - I've never done it before and never had problems with germination. None of my seed packets have ever suggested it either.

Re: tomato seedlings - Go ahead and pot up (take your plants in their peat pellets and place into a larger pot with soil). I've started tomatoes from seeds in the past (and again this year) and I pot up when they get their first set of true leaves. I counted mine when I did it the other day and I have 55! I could have had more, but I figured that was more than enough, lol! (and no, I am not going to plant all of them in my own garden...probably only 20-25 or so - I just hate waste and couldn't kill all of the cute little seedlings! ha ha)