PDA

View Full Version : Another $169 Tripp Trapp Post - Accessories for 6 mo?

becca_g
04-09-2010, 11:06 PM
As follow-up to the other recent Tripp Trapp posts and AlbeeBaby sale for $169.99 ...

Planning to order TT to hopefully start using next month when DS will be 6 mos. (he's very close to being able to sit up on his own right now).

Is the baby set (http://www.albeebaby.com/stokke-baby-set-in-walnut.html) essential for a 6-7 month old? Or was anyone's DC able to sit in the TT without the baby set at that young of an age?

Also, has anyone tried the Table Top (http://www.albeebaby.com/stokke-table-top.html) tray or the PlayTray (http://www.amazon.com/Stokke-PT01-Tripp-Trapp-PlayTray/dp/B002DR0M92/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1270867883&sr=1-3)? I was originally planning to use something like Kiddopotamus Tinydiner Placemat (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006BAJK4/ref=pop) (certainly a lot cheaper) but was wondering if anyone had tried something they liked better! Any feedback/suggestions???

Thanks!

Momof3Labs
04-10-2010, 05:11 PM
I've never tried the baby set but have Tripp Trapps for both of my boys. I would not be at all comfortable putting a 6mo in a Tripp Trapp without any extra support. The boys both moved into their seats around 18mo; that's about as early as I'd consider.

baileygirl
04-10-2010, 05:36 PM
I also have TTs for both of my boys. DS1 got his right around turning 2, so we didn't use the baby set. DS2 we got his around 8 months and did get the baby rail (no cushion). He was crawling/cruising/sitting well when we got the chair, but I felt a lot better about putting him in it with the baby rail. Ours came free with the table top thing. I should try it again, but it takes up A LOT of space at the table. I also don't think I would pay $90 for it. No opinion on the other tray you posted, since I haven't seen it myself.

Wondermom
04-13-2010, 01:14 PM
I've used our Tripp Trapp since first son started solids at 6 months WITH the baby rail. He was good at sitting/head control, etc., and I never had a safety concern with him using this high chair. We have the "old" rail that didn't come with a high back support. Used the rail with the cushion until I realized that the cushion was just a stain catcher. Ditched the cushion pretty early on. Ditched the rail by (or before) age 1. Can't quite remember. Still use the harness straps, though, for the now 2-1/2 year old.

My question is, now that I'm thinking of getting another chair for son #2, is there any advantage to the high back support/new baby rail set up? ALSO, anyone used the baby tray? I would've LOVED to have one for the first son, but since we got through without, I'm wondering if $90 is worth it for kid #2. Any thoughts? SO sorry I missed the Albee sale. Please post if you see another sale!

AnnieW625
04-13-2010, 09:57 PM
We bought DD her Tripp Trapp at 2/1/2 so I am no help, but for a baby I think I would want the rails and the seat pad. I also think that the Tiny Diner mat would work just fine with it if that's easy for you depending on how you sit at the table.

indigo99
04-29-2010, 12:02 AM
I'm a little late to help OP probably, but for anyone else it may help...

We started using the TT at 6 months when we started DS on solids. I did get the PlayTray to use with it but not the babyset. I love having the tray and would probably not want the TT without it. He was an "assisted sitter" when we started using it, but I certainly wouldn't have tried using this chair so early without the tray. The tray connects to the chair with a strap between his legs so it helps keep him in the seat while I put the harness off/on. It also helps support him.

We put toys on the tray, and he plays while I make dinner and eat. Our table is round so it isn't ideal for use with the TT otherwise. I also like that the tray has a lip to catch messes.

I was definitely not happy about the price of the tray, but I think that it was a better investment than the baby set. I do think that you would want one or the other if you plan to use the TT with this size baby.

plusbellelavie
04-29-2010, 12:57 AM
I didn't see this post eariler but thought I would jump in now that it has come back up...

I love our Playtray and think it was worth the price. We have been using the TT with the "works" babyset, tray, cushion and harness if you will since DS2 was 6/7 mths and love the security the babyset and the tray gave us when we put him in. We still use it all now that he is 16mths...he can sit like another PP said in his TT with his tray on and play while I make dinner or "color" while the older DC are doing their homework at the table...the tray helps him have his on place/space and not be able to reach for the papers and plates etc on the table which means we have to constantly supervise him or the dishes if he doesn't have his tray on TT.

Since he still makes a bit of a mess when he eats we leave the tray on because clean up is easier...I even put the tray through the dishwasher.

I like the fact that I can remove it though and that he can learn to be up at the table with us and participate in the activity more.

I happen to not mind the cushion because it is easy to wash but it isn't essential. Also technically I could probably remove the babyset now since he is 16mths and big for his age and just use the harness but I think I will wait a couple more months before I do....he still easily fits through though and it is only difficult if he has decided not to go into his TT and he stiffens his legs otherwise it isn't a problem to get him in or out!

We love the TT so much that we are thinking of buying some for older DC chairs when we move back to the States.

Hope this helps

viba424
06-02-2010, 11:10 PM
So what is the verdict for young babies using the TT? Baby set and skip the cushion?

I got a neutral tripp trapp, a green baby seat and a printed cushion with green. It came tonight and of course I noticed the greens completely clash, and there was an annoying dark spot on the cushion out of the package! Uggghhhh, Im so annoyed! Why cant the stuff match? Its the same brand and there are only about 6 cushions to choose from?

Anyway, should I just return the stupid cushion since its flawed anyway? Im so confused about what is all needed. Considering just getting the tray. DD is 5 months now.

Momof3Labs
06-02-2010, 11:14 PM
So what is the verdict for young babies using the TT? Baby set and skip the cushion?

I got a neutral tripp trapp, a green baby seat and a printed cushion with green. It came tonight and of course I noticed the greens completely clash, and there was an annoying dark spot on the cushion out of the package! Uggghhhh, Im so annoyed! Why cant the stuff match? Its the same brand and there are only about 6 cushions to choose from?

Anyway, should I just return the stupid cushion since its flawed anyway? Im so confused about what is all needed. Considering just getting the tray. DD is 5 months now.

The cushion will just live in the washing machine (or will always be dirty). It doesn't wipe clean on its own. We retired the cushion loooong before retiring the chair, and didn't even buy a cushion for our second chair.

viba424
06-03-2010, 09:06 AM
^ ^ The cushions are tempting because they make it look more comfortable, but you're right - it seems like it would just get filthy. Why cant they be wipe-able. They are so not cheap either.