PDA

View Full Version : What about Benzalkonium Chloride in foaming hand sanitizers?

essnce629
04-10-2010, 02:02 AM
Anyone know if Benzalkonium Chloride is safe? I have a foaming hand sanitizer that I keep by the changing table that has it in it. It's from Babies-R-Us. The supposedly all natural BabyGanics brand of foaming hand sanitizer has it in it too, but that's not the brand I have. It's the only "antibacterial" item that I have.

daisymommy
04-10-2010, 10:57 AM
It's not looking good:
http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/ingredient/700674/BENZALKONIUM_CHLORIDE/

essnce629
04-10-2010, 04:51 PM
I guess I'll have to get that Cleanwell stuff then. I tried the spray form from Target once and ended up throwing it away since it smelled so gross! It's was like thyme/lime or something. I just couldn't bring myself to use it! I see they have a foaming one now though-- maybe it's not so gross smelling. I see they have different fragrances for their handsoaps-- why can't they do the same with their hand sanitizers????

larig
04-10-2010, 05:04 PM
I liked their orange/vanilla stuff.

Ceepa
04-10-2010, 05:07 PM
I also tried Cleanwell and could not stomach the reek left on my hands afterwards. When we use hand sanitizer I have to get the ones without any lotion or scent. That way when the alcohol quickly dries the smell is gone.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
04-10-2010, 06:14 PM
I like the herbal CW smell! I think like a PP mentioned they have a knew orange vanilla scent. DD tried to lick the oregano/thyme smelling one, we have weird senses I guess!