PDA

View Full Version : My treadmill just broke: alternative ideas or pay for repair?

JustMe
04-10-2010, 02:48 PM
My treadmill that I have had for 6-7 years just broke. Of course, this is the first year I didnt purchase the service agreement. I don't use it all that much, but I do use it and do need the option of indoor exercise. Actually, when I recently turned it on before I realized it was broken, my intention was to use it more as I feel I need to increase my cardiac exercise (I walk outside everyday). Anyway, I called their repair service and it is $97 for them to come out..if they give you an estimate and you accept this is taken off your fee, but if you dont accept you pay the $97. My appt is 4/23. The "problem" is that the belt is not moving at all. The incline button and all the controls seem fine.

I have been wondering if there are any inexpensive options to a treadmill that take up less space anyway, as I am trying to get my house ready for the child I will hopefully be adopting. The treadmill is a folding one, but obviously needs to have space enough to "unfold" when I am using it. Its currently in the downstairs room that I use as an office, but this will eventually be my bedroom. Anyway, for sure, there is a way it can fit but I was just thinking of alternatives anyway. Does anyone know of any? Or should I just pay the repair service and make it work.

thanks,

wellyes
04-10-2010, 03:00 PM
To me the quality of the treadmill would make a big difference - for example, if you paid $1200 to buy it and it's a really reputable brand, I'd probably have it fixed (see http://www.treadmilldoctor.com/Treadmill-Reviews/Treadmill-Review-Brand-Index;jsessionid=0a010c641f43df2d38b288144c94911ec 2d55b32a354.e3eSc3mSaxuPe34Pa38Ta38Mc3f0 for reviews & brand rundowns).

A smaller alternative would be a $300 Walmart treadmill. I'd not expect on of those to last more than 3 years or so. But 3 years isn't bad for the price. That's $10/month, or the price of a gym that doesn't have babysitting (planet fitness etc).