PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else annoyed at the lack of good kids movies

hillview
04-10-2010, 07:06 PM
Honestly I wish there were more G rated movies I could take DS to. They are so rare!!

Is it just me?
/hillary

cono0507
04-10-2010, 07:28 PM
Agreed. DS is 5 and I'd love to take him to some movies but even the PG ones scare him too much. Must there always be a scary bad guy?

o_mom
04-10-2010, 07:28 PM
I'm right there with you. Hasn't been a good movie I could take the kids to in a long time. Bolt was the last one we went to and it was PG (though less violent and problematic, IMO, than some G-rated 'classics').

kwc
04-10-2010, 07:53 PM
Agreed!

DD is 6 and has only been to 2 movies in the theatre... Curious George and Ponyo (for which DS came as well). She finds the high tension level of Disney movie too much, even...

Jo..
04-10-2010, 07:55 PM
We went to see Flushed Away last summer during the free kid's summer movies at our local theater. Big mistake. DS loved it so much I bought him the dvd, which he watched, a lot.

Word to the wise: do not let your child watch Flushed Away before they are potty trained. Even though he will use a "little potty" reliably (with no accidents), he is scared to death of real toilets and drains. The movie is cute, but what a mistake! Ack.

AnnieW625
04-10-2010, 09:32 PM
We can't wait for Toy Story 3!

sariana
04-10-2010, 09:46 PM
We can't wait for Toy Story 3!

This is going to be DS's first movie in a theater. He will be almost 6. I have been afraid to take him to anything else becasue he gets scared so easily, and I don't want to see something twice (once to preview, once with DS). So we always have waited for the DVD.

He chose to watch TS2 just last night.

tiapam
04-10-2010, 09:50 PM
Yes, same here. Idon't really want to do all kinds of research to see why a movie is PG. DD has seen very few PG but it has been a mistake most times. We watched Stuart Little and she agreed we would put it away for awhile before watching it again.

SnuggleBuggles
04-10-2010, 09:57 PM
"Good" gets loosened up after a while. I also don't really care if it is G or PG, it all depends why it is rated that and how my kid would do with it.

Ds1 really doesn't like going to the movies so I am not limited to those releases. I dig back in time to find movies that I think he will like to watch at home.

Most surprisingly was back when he was 5.5yo we caught "National Treasure" on TV and it was good for him. No bad words, no one dies, just a pretty easy, fun action movie.

Beth