PDA

View Full Version : Best outside toys for 18-24 mo old?

MSWR0319
04-10-2010, 08:17 PM
DS is 18 mo old and we want to get him something to play with outside this summer, but aren't sure what to get. We thought we were going to get him a swing set, but after looking at what we ultimately want him to have when he's older, it's too big for him now to play on without us holding his hand constantly. I found a Step 2 Clubhouse Climber at a garage sale, which would have been perfect, but it was completely over priced. We are thinking something like that would work better for the next couple summers until he can climb up in the fort part of a swing set by himself. However, I refuse to buy a new one because they are expensive. Any suggestions as to what would be good for him to climb on by himself? Or any outside toy suggestions would be great. We have none!

wellyes
04-10-2010, 08:27 PM
We have hand-me-down gifts of a slide and a fort, but honestly the outside toy my DD is most interested in by far aren't for climbing. She loves her sandbox and her Push Along Buggy (http://www.amazon.com/Step-2-792300-Around-Buggy/dp/B00000IZEM). We also got a Little Tykes outdoor play kitchen (like this one but used / way cheaper: http://www.amazon.com/Little-Tikes-Inside-Outside-Kitchen/dp/B00083HKHK) and she could cheerfully spend hours just opening and closing the doors.

newg
04-10-2010, 08:31 PM
Last summer we got DD a sand and water table and she loves it!! We only put water in it though.
This past fall we got her a cozy coupe.....she got a little tikes basketball hoop for her birthday this winter and she got a bubble mower for easter.............besides the basic buckets/shovels/watering cans............these are by far her favorite toys. Oh, and she got a sprinkler for easter too that we have used once and it's going to be used a lot this summer!

awoodm
04-16-2010, 04:59 PM
We have the Step 2 climber/ slide thing (Nana bought new for around $250 2 years ago) and a Step 2 sand and water table that we bought like 3 years ago new for around $80. The sand and water table has by far gotten the most use. DS will play on the slide every now and again, but that's it. The sand and water table gets daily play for hours even. He loves it still at almost 5 years old. DS2 is getting into it now, he like splashing around and digging in the sand. :)

KrisM
04-16-2010, 05:05 PM
DS2 is 21 months. We have a huge play structure, that he likes. But, he also enjoys the small and big Little Tikes slides, the Kangaroo Climber, sand box, Step 2 Roller coaster, Cozy Coupe, and the pretend lawn mower. The roller coaster gets used by all 3 kids regularly and has always been a good hit.

WatchingThemGrow
04-16-2010, 09:21 PM
DS1's favorites from last summer... John Deere pedal tractor w/bucket (couldn't pedal it on grass, though) - used it for scooping rubber mulch, Little Tikes shovel and rake (huge, huge hit), cozy coupe, playhouse w/gas hose, 4pack of playground balls from TRU, swingset/slide, water sprinkler ball, pool

elephantmeg
04-16-2010, 09:40 PM
sandbox/toys, bubble mower, big bouncy ball, cozy coupe, sprinkler. But I will say that newly 2 y o DD has mastered our playset (the one from Lowes) including the rock wall (!!!) She climbs up the ladder, to the next area, down the slide, up the rock wall.... Having a big brother to demo it I'm sure has helped but we're glad we built it when we did (DS was newly 2 when we built it and so DD has grown up with it).

KrisM
04-16-2010, 09:46 PM
sandbox/toys, bubble mower, big bouncy ball, cozy coupe, sprinkler. But I will say that newly 2 y o DD has mastered our playset (the one from Lowes) including the rock wall (!!!) She climbs up the ladder, to the next area, down the slide, up the rock wall.... Having a big brother to demo it I'm sure has helped but we're glad we built it when we did (DS was newly 2 when we built it and so DD has grown up with it).

Isn't it amazing? DS2 doesn't do the rock wall yet, but I'm sure he will soon. DD could do it at about 2 years old. I'm also glad we got ours when we did (DS1 was 2, DD was a newborn). It'll get a lot of use over the years.

TwinFoxes
04-16-2010, 09:48 PM
Great minds! I posted a similar question a few days ago. I'll be keeping an eye on your thread. Here's mine, I got some good suggestions.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=355524